The 280PS Thread

15 minutes ago, roo said:

The heated windscreen in the superb used a metallic film rather than wires. That is why the screen has a funny tint to it .

and kills GPS signal under it

TEXT COPIED FROM BILLY JIM - MY COMMENTS IN UPPER CASE

I BOUGHT THE LnK, WHICH IS HAS A HOGH SPEC.  ON TOP OF THAT I WENT FOR:

Heated Windscreen Washer Nozzles - DUNNO YET

Wireless Phone Charging Bluetooth - YES

Rear-View Parking Camera - DEFINITELY

Smart Light Assist (Auto High / Low Beam + Blind Spot and Lane Assist) - DEFINITELY

Traffic Assist (Traffic Sign Recognition) - THE TRAFFIC SIGN (SPEED LIMITS) REC'N IS A LOAD OF OWLD ******

Rear backrest release from boot - DEFINITELY

Heated 3 Spoke Leather multifunction Steering Wheel with Paddles - YES BUT RARELY USED THE PADDLES ON THE LAST CAR (STILL RUNNING THIS ONE IN ANYWAY)

Variable Boot Floor - YES

Partition Net Screen - NOT TRIED IT YET

Waste Bin in Door Panel - HAD A BRAIN MELT BUT IT IS A GOOD REMINDER OF HOW DAFT I AM

Temporary Space Saver Wheel - YES

Integrated Tow Bar - LOVE IT, BUT WILL PROBABLY NEVER USE IT

Quartz Grey Metallic Paint - LOOKS BETTER THAN I EXPECTED BUT MANAGED TO SCRAPE THE BUMPER IN FIRST WEEK

Panoramic Sunroof - YES

Extended Warranty to 5 Years - WE SHALL SEE

Service Plan for First Two Services - I WLD HAVE LIKED 5 YEARS BUT 2 SERVICES IS THE MAX.

Travel assist and traffic sign recognition. (looks cheap and I believe other functions can be turned on once you have the camera that is in this extra but what are the other features)?

Can enable Light Assist and Lane Assist through adaptation. Not Blind Spot Detection which uses additional radar and different door mirrors, nor Smart/Dynamic Light Assist (beam masking) which requires a different set of Bi-Xenon lights and also include the illuminated 'whiskers'.

I HAVE THE LIGHTS AND OTHER GUBBINS AS STANDARD AND THEY ARE OK

Front passenger seat control (what is this?)

Have it. Adds a duplicate set of seat controls to the upper inside edge of the seat so driver or rear passenger can adjust the seat position. Only available with electric front passenger seat. Would spec again purely because my elderly mother can never get to grips with the seat controls so it allows me sort it for her.

NOT GOT IT

DCC: worth the money on the SE L? At the moment I am not really considering this but any view would be good

Have it. Adds adaptive suspension and the Comfort mode which is excellent on long motorway cruises but I seldom use it off-motorway as it causes too much wallow on bends for my liking.

LOVE IT

Heated windscreen nozzles: (cheap so why not!!!)

Have them. An often misunderstood option. It heats only the nozzle, not the fluid. Solely intended to defrost any icy blockage at the nozzle port.

HAVE THEM BUT WE DO NOT GET ANY ICE IN NEWCASTLE

Rear wiper (free but think it is included in new spec anyway but will make sure it is added)

I have it and wouldn't be without it on the hatchback. Others will tell you it ruins the car's lines.

AGREE - STANDARD ESSENTIAL ON ESTATE

DSG paddles (cheap so think I will add for the fun factor)

Have them, hardly ever used them. Prefer using the stick in manual mode. Wouldn't spec it again.

AGREE

Colour maxi dot screen (looks nice and cheap so will add)

Have it. Eye candy but does look good.

AGREE

Pegassus wheels

L & K came with the anthracite Pegasus. Easy to clean.

AGREE

Rear seat release from boot (cheap and could be handy, views?)

Have it. Used it on very rare occasions but don't find it that particularly useful. Almost inevitably one of the rear seat belts overhangs the seat preventing it fully dropping resulting in going forward to relocate the belt so I might just as easily have pressed the release button on the back of the seat in the first place.

PASSED ON THIS ONE

KESSY (worth the cost? does it not come with stop/start as standard so only really paying for the keyless entry also then looked at the virtual pedal with this but is it actually useful and do you use it much?)

Yes, Stop-Start is standard across the range.

I've got both KESSY and the virtual pedal.

I've had keyless of one sort or another on my last 5 cars and wouldn't consider buying a normal-key car, it's just so damn convenient.

I use the virtual pedal quite often. Easier than jiggling your shopping bags or fumbling for the key fob and at this time of the year when the back can get quite dirty it keeps your hands clean.

AGREE AND AM VERY SURPRISED HOW MUCH I USE THE VIRTUAL PEDAL.

Electric adjustable front seats (the driver is already electric so is this £500 for just the passenger seat? Does anyone have the ventilated seats and are they worth the extra?)

I had the ventilated seats on my S2 and didn't need to think twice about going for them again on my S3. They're even more efficient on the S3 than they were on the S2. Nothing beats a pair of cool nuts in summer.:)

PASSED ON THIS ONE - HAD THEM ON A JAG AND RARELY USED THEM

I think that covers most of the extras but anything anyone would consider a must have? Seen a few comments around the Canton sound system but £600 would buy some nice after market speakers to fit in the OEM spaces if needed anyway or does the Canton system have speakers in different locations (I assume the head unit/amps are the same for either option).

Canton (over the standard audio) has additional speakers. a sub-woofer amp, surround-sound support, as well as offering more user control of the audio output.

The only must-have for me not already mentioned is the heated windscreen

CANTON IS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER THAN ALL THE JAG SOUND SYSTEMS

AGREE ON HEATED WINDSCREEN

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PSM said:

Since the car comes with sat Nov GPS should not be an issue.

performance of built in SatNav's is so far from such online systems as Waze or Google Map
also Nav's screen position on the dashboard is lot better for driving safety

and yes, in case car has Webasto, Heated Windscreen option i have activated just two times during 21 months,
but problems with GPS signal reception i have every day

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies.

Due to costs mounting quickly I think I need to decided between KESSY/Virtual Pedal or Canton sound system. I am currently leaning towards the Canton having heard it yesterday in a Sportline. My wifes Leaf had keyless entry and although it was good it really is not a lot of hassle to push a button on a key were as I will enjoy the improved sounds in the car every ride.

I was reading the specs and unclear whether I will get the dipping side mirrors without ordering the electric seat for the passenger side (says needs to have electric front seats) or will the fact the driver seat is electric on the SE L be enough to allow this function?

43 minutes ago, PSM said:

Thanks for all the replies.

Due to costs mounting quickly I think I need to decided between KESSY/Virtual Pedal or Canton sound system. I am currently leaning towards the Canton having heard it yesterday in a Sportline. My wifes Leaf had keyless entry and although it was good it really is not a lot of hassle to push a button on a key were as I will enjoy the improved sounds in the car every ride.

I was reading the specs and unclear whether I will get the dipping side mirrors without ordering the electric seat for the passenger side (says needs to have electric front seats) or will the fact the driver seat is electric on the SE L be enough to allow this function?

Of the two, I'd go Canton every time. Keyless is nice, but far from essential. The Canton system is actually quite good though and well worth the relatively minor option price.

48 minutes ago, PSM said:

My Sportline has the dipping side mirror with an electric driver's seat and a non-electric passenger seat.

• Thanks 1

Beautiful moment today with my 3 year old daughter in the car. (She sits in her child seat in the centre of the rear bench, so she gets the best possible view, with full panoramic sunroof advantage...)

We get some open back country road after I overtake a sedate road user and I fully floor it and just keep my foot down...

Comment from my little girl in the back is simply - “we’re flying!!”

I just smile, “yep”

What a car! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/16/2017 at 10:47, eurotraveller said:

Enjoyable 280 moment yesterday:

On exiting a roundabout – dual carriageway A road before and after – I was on right; driver of Mini ‘Works’ comes up on inside and initially passes me with clear intention of beating me to slower traffic on left further up the road. Ah, maybe not. He was clearly quite stunned when I stepped on it, beat him and prevented his ‘undercut’. Stealth can be such fun, while boastful ‘performance’ cars don’t always fulfil their promise. Sorry if you’re deflated, old chap. :)

We also like stealth............

Our EOS & the ancient Superb only make 252 ps, but since they don't shout "fast" to the great unwashed, it is fun to turn up the wick at times.

Even the Golf  (Grey & an estate) is only recognised for what it is by other enthusiasts . 

DC 

Anyone have the media control function and is it anything useful? What can be controlled from phone/ tablet? 

Also wondering how much use the heated nozzles are for the windscreen wash. 

May drop both these on options and go for led light pack instead.

6 minutes ago, PSM said:

Anyone have the media control function and is it anything useful? What can be controlled from phone/ tablet?

If you mean Media Command - I have it but my advice would be drop it.

It duplicates control of almost all the audio functions from an external WLAN connected device.

The navigation part needs access to the internet as it uses Google Maps and the only way to get that to work is if the device itself has its own internet access through a SIM or you have the infotainment SIM option.

Just be aware it is not a function that can be enabled at a later date.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillyJim said:

It duplicates control of almost all the audio functions from an external WLAN connected device.

The navigation part needs access to the internet as it uses Google Maps and the only way to get that to work is if the device itself has its own internet access through a SIM or you have the infotainment SIM option.

So do you need this for android auto? Is this the only way to get Google maps onto the system?

3 hours ago, PSM said:

So do you need this for android auto? Is this the only way to get Google maps onto the system?

No, it has absolutely nothing to do with anything else other than Media Command.

The Skoda Media Command app that you would need to download and install on your phone or tablet (from the device's relevant app store) cannot read the graphical map data from the infotainment SatNav, so it is programmed to use Google Maps purely for its graphical display and Google Maps requires an internet connection.

Basically, it sounded good on paper at the time (which was back in 2015), but in reality it's a quote "waste of money" unquote and I've never had a passenger show any interest in it.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I will be booking my 280 in for first year service this week. What should a dealership carry on first year service on a 280? Also how much should I expect it to cost. I assume an oil change, what else should they carry out? Is there anything I should insist they check or look at. Car has done 8k miles.

Thanks

Ordered my 280 on the weekend. Just need to wait to find out when it will be built.

SE L Executive hatch in petrol blue. With canton, led lights, colour maxi dot, spare wheel, heated windscreen, traffic camera and paddles.

If you go onto a Škoda dealer website, it will tell you what to expect. Mainly, an oil change. I assume annual? I went in with a snagging list of really minor things and they were all attended to. Well, they said they'd order a new control box for the "cockpit lighting switches" (which was slightly rattling) but they haven't got back to me since October. I said don't wash the car, but please hoover inside – they did.

Of course, mine is the 220ps, but I can't imagine the price should be any different for yours. £159 in Croydon.

Car was great going in. Still great.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hpoom said:

I will be booking my 280 in for first year service this week. What should a dealership carry on first year service on a 280? Also how much should I expect it to cost. I assume an oil change, what else should they carry out? Is there anything I should insist they check or look at. Car has done 8k miles.

Thanks

Is it not with booking the 2 yr fixed cost servicing.  £279for the first 2 services.

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance?_ga=2.245315776.433676845.1512025248-951540762.1499501506

A minor service on its own it £159 so buying the plan saves you just under £40 even if it's just an oil change both times.

A year of owning the 280 sportline. 20k miles under the belt, less than expected due to a change in working patterns etc. So what was the last year like?

Well the good points:

1. It is a stealth car. Most drivers have no clue what is under the hood till they try it on and rapidly realise that there is no way there are going to keep up with you. Predominantly a bunch of Audi drivers in their diesel S lines.

2. Overall it has been very reliable for me. No breakdowns at all. No error messages so far, other than the low washer fluid level message.

3. The interior space is massive.

4. The boot is even bigger!

5. I am impressed by the mileage. Averaging 32-34 mpg with a reasonably happy right foot.

6. Impressive traction. Snow, ice, mushy surfaces - none of them were a problem for the 4WD system. And tyre wear has been even without any need for rotating the tyres.

7. Ride is overall comfortable with some caveats below.

8. Standard sound system is really good, especially compared to say a BMW or Jag.

9. Servicing costs are quite reasonable.

Bad points:

1. Lots of small rattles have developed over time. Dash, vents, speaker grills. door trims, glove box. I have now given up on them. Just turn the volume up. But it is poor on a £35k car. Very poor indeed.

2. I am divided on the ride quality. It is comfortable, but the damping is just poor. So you are fine till you hit a pothole or ridge and then you get this loud thud transmitted to the cabin. DCC really does not make much difference to this. You dont realise this till you drive a different car. Also the handling around corners is safe but wallows and gets a bit tiring after a while.

3. Steering is again safe but quite numb and a VW trademark. But better than many of the Audi's I have test driven though.

4. Stop start is appalling. I mean how did VW ever think that shutting down the engine as you are coasting at low speeds is a good idea? The number of times it would shut off the engine at inappropriate times! Also you drive up to a car park barrier, the button is just out of reach. So you unbuckle and reach out a bit more. The gate opens, but the car will now not restart. Apparently the start stop system will not re engage if you unbuckle. So you try and restart, but you now have to put it back into park. then restart, then put it into drive. By which time the barrier has lowered itself again. I just gave up on it and just kept pressing the SS disable button every time I got into the car. Stupidest system ever. Other manufacturers have much less sensitive systems, that work a lot better.

5. Bi-xenons are odd. They seem to be less effective at both settings. Recently compared with a couple of other cars in the family/on test drives and they are sub optimal in they way they do their job.

6. Seats are comfortable, but thigh support is not great. An extendable front lip like in a BMW M sport would solve this issue though. But it is not available even as an option.

7. AV - Sat nav is super slow to start up after ignition. Getting you phone's music to play through your car is unnecessarily difficult.

8. The glossy surfaces on the central console and trim are so prone to scratching. You have to be super careful when cleaning these areas. I just wish they had used a bit more durable finish to these surfaces. This also applies to the glossy B pillar trim.

9. The electronic brake set up is not to my liking. It seems to hold on longer than required on an incline. Which makes parallel parking on an incline very difficult. 

10. The windscreen washer tank seems to empty rather quickly. Is it the wasteful nozzles or the size of the tank? Not sure, but I seem to be constantly refilling the washer fluid tank.

11. It depreciates like a rock. My first Superb and I dont think I would ever buy another one. I may lease one though.

Overall it has been a good year. I still like the car for all its foibles above. Mainly because it is good fun to drive and the stealth factor. Would I buy one again? Not sure about that at the current price point.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 03:26, BillyJim said:

+1. tis a pointless bit of an application.

unless u have a permanent "courtesy tablet" for the rear passengers, and u want to give them the option to change/control the media without disturbing the driver!!!