The 280PS Thread

23 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Very true @penguin17. We have 4k CCTV and uprated locks as I alluded earlier. A (cropped) snapshot from one of our four cameras at this very moment, covering 'His & Hers':

5aaba132cd7df_ScreenShot2018-03-16at10_47_12.png.84fe35979a81259b94c4cc679f79410b.png

A sad state of affairs indeed. :dry:

Indeed.  That's a very good picture indeed, also a really good vista of the cars.    I'm already on the case with locks and hope to get some 3 star ones fitted soon.  We moved into a new build last year and whilst a quick google shows the locks they've used are pretty good, I'd rather have the peace of mind.  

On the plus side, I think the missus' S-Max is looking good :thumbup: Ooft and check out the beads on the Superb B)

• Like 1

Thanks mate. I don't want to de-rail the thread but that S-Max has properly surprised me. It drives beautifully, corners brilliantly and has great steering wheel feedback (much nicer than my 220). If only it had a larger engine and AWD. Next time I think! :devil:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Thanks mate. I don't want to de-rail the thread but that S-Max has properly surprised me. It drives beautifully, corners brilliantly and has great steering wheel feedback (much nicer than my 220). If only it had a larger engine and AWD. Next time I think! :devil:

They used to put the 2.5T 5 pot from the ST Focus/Volvo T5 in it.  Standard Ford though, always lovely to drive with perfectly weighted steering.  If the Superb drove like the previous generation Mondeo it would be pretty much perfect IMO. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2018 at 21:16, Prykey said:

Nothing wrong with London apart from the ridiculous price of car insurance and motorcycle insurance :speechless: 

I was born & bred in Walthamstow..........but moved out here in '74. 'Nuff said?

(When I do venture back, it's the population density that I notice the most, that & the multi-cultural influences.

I do tease SWMBO though re. living in an oasis of light, surrounded by unlit roads!)

Cheers, DC.

35 minutes ago, old newbie2 said:

I was born & bred in Walthamstow..........but moved out here in '74. 'Nuff said?

(When I do venture back, it's the population density that I notice the most, that & the multi-cultural influences.

I do tease SWMBO though re. living in an oasis of light, surrounded by unlit roads!)

Cheers, DC.

We bought our first Škoda from Walthamstow, Trans City.  Great dealership (watching them use a lift to get our car downstairs was a bit tense and surreal) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, penguin17 said:

We bought our first Škoda from Walthamstow, Trans City.  Great dealership (watching them use a lift to get our car downstairs was a bit tense and surreal) 

I'm on my 4th Skoda from Trans City :) 

• Like 2

Fortunately we do not have any car thefts oop North as most of them are worth buggerall. A mate of mine lived somewhere close to London a few years back and he had his 997 turbo pinched from his garage + cartier watch, wife's jewelery and phones from inside the house while they were in bed.  Police said it would be long gone to either Eastern Europe or Middle East.  He is still fighting the insurance company over his Cartier watch but did get fullty reimbursed for the car.

As for London - I have it in my top 5 for best cities in the world to visit along with Newcastle (you may laugh but the beer is cheap), Adelaide, Paris and Madrid.  Close contenders are Rome, Prague, Barcelona and Boston.  And one of these days I will get to visit them.

As for working in London.  I did two 15 months stints there (I worked as an Engineering/Construction consultant - i.e. scabby contractor) and did not like it at all - a right pain to get around and expensive.  Plus it is full of foreigners such as the Irish, Scots and Welsh.  But enough of the politically incorrect hate mail and please note that some of my best friend is a Jock.

The important thing is the 280PS LnK.  Now had it about six months.  Finally got the media stuff (Spotify) working and that Canton system is top class.  Had a great time bopping about in the garage getting stoned on exhaust fumes listening to Earth Wind and Fire.  Fortunately the wife got me out in time for my Sunday repaste of Greggs meat slice and Stotty Cake.

The rest of the car is OK as well.  Absolutely no issues with it except maybe the tyre noise, which I will sort when they are due for replacement.  Having said that I had my mate's 8 year old BMW 760 V12 for a few weeks and the difference is not that great but bear in mind my ears are akin cement filled breeze blocks.

Will I have another? Without doubt - might look at that hybrid they are talking about.

• Haha 1

I was trying to be witty and smart and highlight that he is the only friend I have.  As usual - failed again.  But now I think of it he is probably a bit of a throwback as he actually likes the English.

2 hours ago, Harryc said:

Fortunately we do not have any car thefts oop North as most of them are worth buggerall.

Maybe the thieves can't afford a vehicle large enough to transport a car. My motorcycle was stolen after being parked in the same spot in Whitley Bay for five days. (I was freelancing in Newcastle.) When the police showed up, they said it was probably in a sea container on its way to Sweden. I liked Newcastle (and Geordies) but Saturday night downtown was scary. And I'm just talking about the women! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all. I've currently got a Jaguar XFS Sportbrake but I'm seriously considering getting a 280 Estate.  I don't know whether the L&K or Sportline trim is best to go for? I like the de-chromed exterior look of the Sportline but prefer a lot of the gadgets and full leather seats you get with L&K? I don't know how flexible Skoda is on mix and matching different trim types (e.g. having the black grille, roof rails etc on a L&K version).  Thanks!

7 hours ago, Parmenion said:

Hello all. I've currently got a Jaguar XFS Sportbrake but I'm seriously considering getting a 280 Estate.  I don't know whether the L&K or Sportline trim is best to go for? I like the de-chromed exterior look of the Sportline but prefer a lot of the gadgets and full leather seats you get with L&K? I don't know how flexible Skoda is on mix and matching different trim types (e.g. having the black grille, roof rails etc on a L&K version).  Thanks!

I asked about having the faux carbon interior trim in the sportline replaced with the the brushed alu trim from the SE L and was told it isn't possible.   I can imagine it's the same as exterior trim too.  You could always ask though.   

Have you tried spec'ing a Sportline with the options you want then seeing what price you can get from a dealer or broker?  There's some healthy discounts around. 

FWIW I find the Alcantara sports seats in the Superb are very nice indeed.  Mine are as good as new after 17k miles and they are much more bearable on a cold morning!  So much so I initially regretted getting heated seats but then when the mercury really drops, they are greatly appreciated.   They are also very comfortable and supportive, great for long drives. 

I've also seen on other threads that dealers aren't currently accepting orders on the 280 due to an upcoming engine change (GPF fitted) so you may need to wait for a month or two before you can order.  There's a few ex-demo, 280 estates on Autotrader though.  

Another option would be to get the L&K and have the chrome trim vinyl wrapped in gloss black, though I'm not sure how good a finish you could get and/or if it would leave any long term cosmetic damage to the chrome trim....just a thought....

9 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I asked about having the faux carbon interior trim in the sportline replaced with the the brushed alu trim from the SE L and was told it isn't possible.   I can imagine it's the same as exterior trim too.  You could always ask though.   

Have you tried spec'ing a Sportline with the options you want then seeing what price you can get from a dealer or broker?  There's some healthy discounts around. 

FWIW I find the Alcantara sports seats in the Superb are very nice indeed.  Mine are as good as new after 17k miles and they are much more bearable on a cold morning!  So much so I initially regretted getting heated seats but then when the mercury really drops, they are greatly appreciated.   They are also very comfortable and supportive, great for long drives. 

I've also seen on other threads that dealers aren't currently accepting orders on the 280 due to an upcoming engine change (GPF fitted) so you may need to wait for a month or two before you can order.  There's a few ex-demo, 280 estates on Autotrader though.  

Another option would be to get the L&K and have the chrome trim vinyl wrapped in gloss black, though I'm not sure how good a finish you could get and/or if it would leave any long term cosmetic damage to the chrome trim....just a thought....

Thanks - I've got Alcantara in my XF and whilst it is much warmer in the winter  I prefer leather overall  and they haven't worn as well as I'd like in the front (after 55k and a previous owner who was less careful), although I'm going to try some deep cleaning this weekend to see if I can the fibres back up before selling it. I would love the Sportline seats in leather as they look really supportive but that's just me!  I've specced the additional gadgets  I'd like with the Sport line on the Skoda site and it came out at quite a bit more than just getting the L&K.  I'm visiting the dealership this weekend  so will see what they're willing to offer!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, superbtte said:

You can buy the trims and replace them, I did that for mine. 

Thanks I might well do that as I was thinking of buying black alloys for it anyway and stash the originals until it was eventually time to sell on. 

I am with you on the wearing of alcantara since my old mk 2 vrs alcantara did not wear well after 4 years of use. I also do not like the fixed headrest on the Sportline seats as it is too low for me.

7 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Looks good @Boxerdog1 :thumbup:

I quite like the look of the black ‘Skoda’ badge from the Monte Carlo cars, on Superskoda. 

Have you seen any black superb badges? Will see when I get motor but might plastidip it? Superskoda one looks well

16 minutes ago, davyg said:

Have you seen any black superb badges? Will see when I get motor but might plastidip it? Superskoda one looks well

No but I have looked.

Superskoda do the the ‘4x4’ and ‘Škoda’ badges in black, as well as the all black Škoda emblem. I think they’re all from the Yeti Monte Carlo (?). They also do the the colour coded emblem badges but only for the front, I keep meaning to contact them to see if they will fit the rear too, or offer another for the rear. 

2 hours ago, PSM said:

I am with you on the wearing of alcantara since my old mk 2 vrs alcantara did not wear well after 4 years of use. I also do not like the fixed headrest on the Sportline seats as it is too low for me.

Ah good to know I'm 6'4" so maybe the sportline seats are not ideal for me although I'll try them on Sunday. I've got some Alcantara cleaner by Raceglaze so I'm going to try and see if that helps revive the XF seats a bit but I'm not hopeful. 

9 hours ago, penguin17 said:

They also do the the colour coded emblem badges but only for the front, 

There wasn't a MG option last time I looked. Wonder can they do any Skoda paint code

1 hour ago, davyg said:

There wasn't a MG option last time I looked. Wonder can they do any Skoda paint code

I thought Steel Grey = Meteor Grey? I don’t think it’s called MG outside the UK (?) 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 1

Copmparing our configurator with the German one

Meteor Grey = Stahl-Grau (Steel grey)

Business Grey = Empire-Grau

Quartz Grey = Quartz-Grau

Dragon Green = Dragonskin Gold

• Thanks 2