The 280PS Thread

Review of a 280 here. I'll let you all make up your own minds.

Thanks,very interesting reading.

I like the subtle approach to styling / badging very few people know what I'm driving, bit that's

only my opinion.

DC.

There is a press 280, I didn't get a chance to drive it. Real shame but the guy who was reviewing it said:

"This is an amazing 3l v6"

I tipped my hat to him and rolled my eyes to the sky. Without popping the bonnet it could of been an oil burner, although one hopes that difference is noticeable from the right foot!

Lets guess it is a UK spec 280, externally it was very subtle or this example was, in fact you can only really tell it's the 280 from below the rear valance with 2 exhausts exiting under and behind the valance, not the shiny tips as you've posted.... Following it's a superb!

However there is a 'model' version to follow, a 'sporty' one. Maybe not a vRS Superb, but with more sporty, that's all I could gleam, no insight to cosmetic or functional sporty. I suspect cosmetic.

The 280 is a very special model anyway, any sales of it will get SKODA attention and thus any questions can be and should be raised. I've got the details of the Superb UK product manager, she's the lady who's responsible for the whole options/product line up.

I'm hoping to borrow the 280 soon. It's the one I really wanted to try as it's mostly members of this site that will be buying them ;) When I do I'll try to make a mini meet to examine it, somewhere convenient to folk on this thread, I'll just use location entries.

Thanks Colin, if you do manage to organize a mini-meet, count me in, please!

Thanks for that. For me, that's a perfect review. The car is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need any aggressive styling just because it's got more power and I feel the need to flash the cash "look what I got" - it's all about stealth for me. I want a normal looking car, with all that practicality that has got the oomph when I need it. Plus it’s something people will casually walk past. In fact, in the very likely chance I buy this early next year I’ll immediately de-badge it – I’m all for the ‘clean’ look (yes including those L&K cake font side trim decorations)! I know what car it is – no one else needs to and that’s the way I like it.

We all know generally speaking more power is less economical. I'm prepared for it. Maybe it's a mid life crisis but it's certainly one SWMBO approves of because the car still ticks all her boxes too (no double entendre jokes there please) :D

Yeah, it's not going to be a cornering machine but I'd say I'm in that so called 'niche' market for comfort and power. Plus I’ll be specifying L&K with most of the optional extras too. I’ll buy the car to keep it and I think this is really something I want to invest in. I’m the minority Skoda made this car for and for that I’m very pleased!

You are not in a minority, I'm really tempted to buy on too, SWMBO is quite happy to for me to spend the pennies, as in, "enjoy life whilst still alive, you're a long time dead!".

Not a mid-life crisis though, I'm too old for one of those............

DC

• Haha 1

However there is a 'model' version to follow, a 'sporty' one. Maybe not a vRS Superb, but with more sporty, that's all I could gleam, no insight to cosmetic or functional sporty. I suspect cosmetic.

We need to know more about this! If I buy a new car than a sporty model comes out. I will be very very upset! We need to know about potential of any sporty model now from Skoda UK.

On my usual search for 280PS snippets I found a German article reporting the addition of the engine to the range. The original text is:

2,0l TSI 4×4 206 kW, 6-Gang DSG

Mit dem Update der Motorpalette wird die maximal verfügbare Leistung auf 280 PS erhöht. Die zwei Liter sind kombiniert mit Allrad und DSG. Geile Kombination, wenn man nicht auf den Verbrauch achtet.

Google translate does a wonderful job turning it into this:

2.0l TSI 4 × 4 206 kW, 6-speed DSG

With the update of the engine range, the maximum available power is increased to 280 hp. The two liters are combined with all-wheel and DSG. Horny combination, if you do not pay attention to the consumption.

SWMBO is German and said without even reading the non-translated text "I bet they use the word Geile". In this context it would mean something like 'cool' but I think I prefer the Google interpretation of 'horny combination' :D

This has been recently uploaded on You Tube (also posted in the 'like the agressive look' thread, courtesy of Didorx) -

Skoda Superb Combi [2015] 2.0TSI 280HP DSG POV Onboard Drive with GoPro:

• Like 2

Now that has got me confused!!

I was nearly 5 mins into the video when I finally released that it had the brown and black dash! maybe I really do need to see one in the flesh before I make my mind up as if it took that long to notice then it can’t be that bad... can it??  :think:

• Like 2

It's a conspiracy...

After 8 years of owning diesel cars I decide to switch back to petrol and choose the biggest guzzler in the Superb range... and my local service stations go and drop diesel prices so it's now cheaper than petrol!  :@

(Not before time, though. What a bunch of ripoff merchants the UK fuel industry is, only changing - slowly - when they're "caught out". End of rant.)

• Administrators

We need to know more about this! If I buy a new car than a sporty model comes out. I will be very very upset! We need to know about potential of any sporty model now from Skoda UK.

It was a comment in passing over a bite... I didin't actually think it was or would lead to a model, or not in the immediate near term. Consider the Octavia for a moment. Released and a fw months in a 230vRS batted about. Now, what feels like an eternity it's still nowhere to be seen. 

So I'd take that as in 18+months there might be a 'trim' package update available. If it's any more then it just won't make it to the UK, for 20-40 cars a year in RHD they won't re task the production line.

If it's a trim release then it might, assuming the left and right drivers seats are the same, once out of the mount ;)

I can't see it being a chassis/engine tweak, again the low volume suggests too costly to run, of the 40 units a year, another 5k 'sports' option might sell 1 or 2. Make it an alpina style retro with decent remap, brakes, trim etc then it would be lovely, but not on many peoples list.

Of course I could be wrong and the Press Release being typed right now ;)

• Like 1

Indeed. Thanks for the translation.

I seriously considering chopping my TSI scout in for one of these. I don't do many (if any) motorway miles but don't really want MPG to go up dramatically.

• Like 1

Any good PCP deals on the 280 L&K Combi, I do 8K miles pa?

Had a look around but cant find anything reasonable.... Like you I only do 7or 8k a year. This would be a fast track for me into a 280 if their were some reasonable deals. I could then sell the Scout privately.

Chinese whispers are always dangerous however  ;) at the Superb3 dealer launch I attend a couple of months ago here in Switzerland (search on here for a few photos) the dealer manager said that a "VRS version of the 280 was highly likely".

She also said that it was discussed at length when the dealers/sales folk had their pre-launch training for the car at the Skoda International Training Centre (apparently in Kosmonosy near their main HQ in Mladá Boleslav just North of Prague).

If that is so...I cant wait. And if it does transpire to be true, how long for a UK version?

It makes sense for Skoda to take the VRS brand across the range (am I correct in thinking that VRS is only on Fabia and Octavia models currently?)...like AMG/R/M/RS etc.

Dave

• Administrators

It does make sense to cross model brand the vRS like the S and RS line in audi.

However I've got the end of the stick that the fabia vRS only really sold in the UK and it didn't really sell enough to warrant the production line. Now personally I think that's hogwash. The fabia was a seriously big watershed in the uk market. Loss or not it's mothballing is a loss.

So the superb vRS also makes sense, the uk estimate is 20 - 40 ps280's a year, so a really low number in the first place. I actually think a european vRS over the range will make an appearance. But as above, this is all Chinese whispers and given the Chinese downturn, they may only ever be whispers.

Incidentally I've spoken to an independent broker today about some number on the 280's and other 'top' line to see where and what the dealer market is at ahead of launch.

• Like 2