The 280PS Thread

While this exceeds the rating of both the manual and DSG gearboxes many have run more than 350NM on the DQ250 gearbox for many miles without an issue but obviously you are taking a risk.

Lee

What is the DSG rated to then? (the 190 TDi has 400Nm as std)

In Belgium I pay 44000 euro for the L&K 280, combi, full option...

The golf R, 300hp, uses the same engine and the same DSG, 4x4, navigation, etc... but with less features (no traffic jam, no park assist, no electric seats, no ventilated seats, no electric boot,...) will cost me 47.000 euro. Cockpit of both cars looks very similar (same buttons,...)

I must be insane to buy a golf R then!

Edited by Elisabeth
  • Like 3

What is the DSG rated to then? (the 190 TDi has 400Nm as std)

The DQ250 6 speed wet clutch transverse DSG is rated for 350NM. There is also a slightly higher rated version of this box for engines up to 400NM but it's reported that torque is limited to 350NM in first and second.

The later Golf R and the biTurbo Passat now get the 7 speed wet clutch DQ500 DSG rated to 650NM

Lee

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I do like the idea of a `280`, but not sure of the 4x4.

Following a bit of on line research there seems only to be 1 advantage (acceleration) but many disadvantages (weight, purchase cost, running costs, increased servicing costs).

I reckon if there was a 280 without the 4x4 I'd go for it.

Has anyone else pondered over this?

Many thanks.

Mike.

Yeah !! 4x4 is fantastic.... I've had it on my Scout for 5 years and would hate to go back to 2wd..... Great in wet. Great in snow... I use snow socks when its really bad but an example.... Not getting stuck in a snowy work car park with half a foot of now on standard summer tyres. Just drive around and park where I want. Everyone else moves 10 feet and gets stuck....

Snowy New Year.... Go out for a meal. Snowy, icy car park.  Bottom end empty because of snow. People parking on road because they cant get in the car park. I just drive in on summer tyres and park by myself at the far end. Other try to follow... Get stuck. ..

Pulling away from islands in wet. No spin... Imagine that with 280 horses and fwd ... It feels very sure footed in all conditions.

Love it !

• Like 2

The 280 4x4 really is the pinacle and will be a lovely car....a bigger, more handsome, higher quality Octavia pretty much with loads of go and loads of kit....really not much not to like.

The problem for me is that I cant rationalise a 30 odd or 40 odd grand Skoda however nice it is....particularly given this thing wont be worth a fart a year or so after its rolled out the showroom door.....a shame but thats how it is. Also the 280 is a little hampered by being a 4 cyl.....be more appealing if it had a detuned version of the Audi S4 V6 but then I suppose MPG and emissions wouldnt have been ideal.

I think the car makes the most sense really as a 150 TDI SE Business....its got more than enough go (is probably as quick if not quicker than a 170 TDI Mk2....much as the Octavia which is all you really need in a car like this) and not an obscene amount of money....pushing the boat out a 190 TDI either 2wd or 4x4 or a 220 TSI SE-L Executive in stock spec is as far as Id consider pushing it but were all different. Fair shout to those biting the bullet...jealous that you'll end up with a v cool Skoda....not so jealous of the readies that will be going up in smoke though.

• Like 1

:-) Like ive said before ... It all depends on how long you want to keep it re burning he reddies.

Ive heard this a few times now about unable to spend 30k on a Skoda.... I don't get it really....When I buy a car its all about what I like. I looked at all the competition and the one I liked was the Skoda so that's what I buy. I could have purchased a Merc, BMW etc. On this occasion they just don't do it for me.

Like cameras.... I recently purchased a new DSLR. I looked at Canon, Nikon, Sony..... I could have spent £1800 on a Nikon but the one I liked was a Pentax. It was considerably cheaper but that had absolutely nothing to do with the purchase.

It just 'felt' right in my hands......

Again like ive already said..... To me it not about the car that makes most sense.... I'm a Petrolhead.... For me its the car I'm going to get the most pleasure from.

As for the 4cyl.... Well I have to disagree again lol !!! Sorry !! I've owned both 4, 6 and 8 cylinder cars in both sports and  family guise. I agree 6's are smooth but the first think I thought when I drove my 1.8tsi Scout was how smooth it felt. It really did feel like a 6 to me.

I cant see the 2.0Tsi feeling worse. Anyway I'll let you know in a few weeks :-)

No absolutely....it wouldnt surprise me if for the money the Superb is a better car than the Passat I just think Skoda are still a VAG value brand and their list prices are starting to get a little rich for my pallet...no matter how good the car is...particularly given how badly they now seem to depreciate.

Weve discussed before...keeping it for 10 years depreciation doesnt matter anyway so admire your choice and sure be a nice car :-)....just someone looking to do a 3 year PCP on one or change it whilst still quite new...unless they have money to burn will be v disapointed come trade in time. On the flipside will be a fabulous used purchase at 2-3 years old for someone in the market for a large fast 4x4 car.

Edited by pipsypreturns
  • Like 1

I do like the idea of a `280`, but not sure of the 4x4.

Following a bit of on line research there seems only to be 1 advantage (acceleration) but many disadvantages (weight, purchase cost, running costs, increased servicing costs).

I reckon if there was a 280 without the 4x4 I'd go for it.

Has anyone else pondered over this?

Many thanks.

Mike.

The German configurator has engines the UK doesn't get. There is a 1.8TSI 179bhp manual, a 1.8 TSI 179bhp 7sp-DSG, and a 1.4 TSI ACT 150bhp manual with 4x4

I would have picked the 1.8 with 7sp DSG as its only 129g co2 so would be only £30 per year car tax, its acceleration is 8.1 sec which seems a good compromise for low tax

I'm not sure if I missed this or it's been updated but I've just noticed if you select a 280 engine on the UK configurator you can see the chromed exhaust outlets get added to the view of the car :)

I've still been hunting for more reviews or videos of the 280 but nothing has come up so I think the next biggest source of opinion is coming from those of us that take delivery of one. Can't be long now until someone has a 280 in their possession.

• Like 1

just someone looking to do a 3 year PCP on one or change it whilst still quite new...unless they have money to burn will be v disapointed come trade in time.

Surely on a PCP they know BEFORE buying the car what it will be worth in 3 years time??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered

My dealer told me that mass production of 280 has just started few weeks ago (September). Before were only few test samples for reviewers. When is your delivery date and when you placed order?

Ordered 24th August. Deliver date most likely next weekend.

Just been told my 280 hatch in jungle green,cream leather 19in wheels reverse camera etc has been built on the way.well excited.ordered end of july as a replacement for my 18 month old octavia vrs tsi dsg,lovely car,goes like stink,but drove me insane with rattles on the sunroof.at least i got a good deal chopping her in,was getting close to regecting car as been repaired three times costing skoda over two grand allready in repair bills,ouch!! No sunroof on the superb,once bitten twice shy!!

• Like 1

Just been told my 280 hatch in jungle green,cream leather 19in wheels reverse camera etc has been built on the way.well excited.ordered end of july as a replacement for my 18 month old octavia vrs tsi dsg,lovely car,goes like stink,but drove me insane with rattles on the sunroof.at least i got a good deal chopping her in,was getting close to regecting car as been repaired three times costing skoda over two grand allready in repair bills,ouch!! No sunroof on the superb,once bitten twice shy!!

Sat in mine today :-) Pics here : http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/358971-superb-order-tracker/page-14

• Like 2

• Administrators

Well I think I've resigned myself to not reading a Superb 280 review before I collect my car.... I wonder if their are any in the UK at all ?

Nick, don't forget the journo on test in scotland who loved the new 3.2 V6 model... I wished I'd pushed for it now, although I'd probably of gotten a ticket as the 1.4 was sufficient for a open highland road.

When it arrives, if you like we could do a review, never did get a follow up from suk on borrowing it. :( I did some roadside video, but felt a bit odd leaving a lot of gear on a tripod on a roadside and driving away from it in the peak.

• Like 1

Nick, don't forget the journo on test in scotland who loved the new 3.2 V6 model... I wished I'd pushed for it now, although I'd probably of gotten a ticket as the 1.4 was sufficient for a open highland road.

When it arrives, if you like we could do a review, never did get a follow up from suk on borrowing it. :( I did some roadside video, but felt a bit odd leaving a lot of gear on a tripod on a roadside and driving away from it in the peak.

Yeah as long as I'm not in shot lol ! I'll pm you next week.

• Like 1