The 280PS Thread

That's mixed, non motorway driving but running in the TSI engine and with the wife and kid in the car (no heavy right foot other than a few blissful overtakes). Some typical A303 traffic.

Edited by TGR
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PSM said:

Have just found this engine in the range and interested in it to replace my 7yo VRS. What are the real world fuel consumption for this car? Going to be looking secondhand so how long has this engine been available so how old is the oldest which I hope will be reasonable money. Thinking about the Executive spec.

The 280 was available when the Superb III was originally launched, which was September 2015. Mine was built September 2015 and delivered October 2015.

It's a strange beast that sometimes gives you results you would not expect. I get mid to upper 30's on long steady motorway journeys, occasionally topping 40 mpg, but dropping to mid/low 30's when I'm cruising at 120-155 mph on the autobahns. Yet having a whale of a time throwing it around the bendy country roads of Norfolk earlier this year it climbed over the 40 mpg mark. Normal urban driving gives me high 20's to low 30's.

To get the best out of this engine you should also consider using a higher octane fuel, 98 or above, which in the UK usually means 99 at Shell or Tesco.

If you're concerned about economy this may not actually be the engine for you. The 220 will deliver similar grunt whilst being more frugal. The 280 lump seems to perform best when it's being driven progressively with little reward offered in return for trying to drive frugally. As I discovered soon after I got the car, I was getting better fuel consumption at 80 mph than at 50 mph.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PSM said:

Have just found this engine in the range and interested in it to replace my 7yo VRS. What are the real world fuel consumption for this car? Going to be looking secondhand so how long has this engine been available so how old is the oldest which I hope will be reasonable money. Thinking about the Executive spec.

Already some reasonably priced ones 

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201708228584099

• Thanks 1

I have seen that one thanks. Not quite in position to buy at moment as just bought my wife a new car. My thinking was a 2yo or so car will be sub £20k which is about where I want to be.

Not too worried about fuel consumption but just figuring out how much more it will cost. 30's sounds perfect but may have been an issue if low 20's.

I will certainly be driving the engine as intended!!!!

On 9/4/2017 at 09:51, BillyJim said:

I got bored the other night and couldn't sleep so armed with my VCDS cable and laptop I thought I'd give the VCDS acceleration measurement function a try.

I put it into launch control and the first thing I noticed was that the revs would not hold steady at 4k, instead it was gently swinging between 3k and 4k.

When I released the brake the car accelerated, activating the VCDS timer, but there was a noticeable hesitation before the car went truly ballistic.

VCDS recorded a 0-100 km/h of 5.3 seconds +/-0.12 which, to be honest, I thought was a little disappointing considering the tuning box was allegedly throwing an extra 70 horses into the mix.

The road where I ran the test was slightly undulating and I tried a second run in the opposite direction and that was a tad slower at 5.4 seconds.

While I sat pondering why launch control was misbehaving it occurred to me that the culprit might possibly be the Throttle Response so I turned it off and tried again in the original direction.

This time launch control behaved exactly as it should, holding the revs at a constant 4k and there was no perceived delay when I released the brake.

VCDS now recorded a 0-100 km/h of 4.8 seconds +/-0.10 which, beating 5 seconds, induced a big stupid grin that lasted all the way home!

The lesson here is;- If you want to play silly buggers with launch control and have any kind of throttle controller fitted - turn it off!

Interesting Billy, no wonder when I tried Launch control on the 280PS (with throttle response installed) it wasn't working as well as I thought. The car won't hold RPM even though the dash display "Launch Control Activated".

Will give this a try next time when suitable. 

On ‎10‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 05:48, Mr Grump said:

The  Black beastie has landed :)

Better pics once I have given her a good wash n wax ;)

jXx4NJ8.jpg

so when u press "the button" does the floor disappear, taking the car into an underground garage/bunker?!?!?

hehehe

black looks very yummy......when they're clean and shiny :)

Black looks awesome. Mine is in black and whilst waiting for build and delivery I went through a huge wobble. Saw loads of the dark silver cars about and was convinced I'd made a mistake.

Recently though I've seen a few 280 L&K estates in black and I'm firmly back with my original choice. Also, dealer called this week and told me the car was being built now with expected delivery before the end of the month. This is a good bit earlier than the original estimate of mid-November.

Chuffed and can't wait!

20 hours ago, juux said:

Black looks awesome. Mine is in black and whilst waiting for build and delivery I went through a huge wobble. Saw loads of the dark silver cars about and was convinced I'd made a mistake.

Recently though I've seen a few 280 L&K estates in black and I'm firmly back with my original choice. Also, dealer called this week and told me the car was being built now with expected delivery before the end of the month. This is a good bit earlier than the original estimate of mid-November.

Chuffed and can't wait!

My wife has a black estate ... and it looks great.  Sadly it is only the 150bhp diesel ... but an  SE-L with all the toys added to it and it goes nicely for what it is.   It has seriously made me think of a 280 estate.  I ended up replacing my A45 AMG with a 2 series convertible ... an M240i - but the Skoda really, really appeals !   Maybe when I am ready again they will have upped the engine power a tiny bit more :)   Says he being greedy.  I really like the way they drive and the fact no one realises they are awesome !!

Edited by SO8

To those with 19" wheels, what tyre pressures do you run ?

The info sticker in the fuel flap says 2.6 bar which is nearly 38 psi ! Just seems a lot, mind you not as much as when I saw the Spacesaver spare should be 60 psi :blink:

Edited by Mr Grump

2 minutes ago, Mr Grump said:

@superbtte So what's stock boost then ?

TGR, How dare you mention that word in this thread ! :D

Stock boost for normal turbo is 1.4 bar i believe (I run it up to 1.8 I think). Now running 2.6 bar on a larger turbo. 

Edited by superbtte
  • Thanks 1

Drove my car (280PS sportline) to the outback of Australia (Flinders Ranges) on the weekend. The car handled the task exceptionally well, put on comfort setting when the road gets bumby and it irons out all the bumps even on the 19" wheel. The 4WD really helped during the gravel road, although I had to put it in "Eco" mode to be a bit safer as the normal mode tends to be a bit too adventurous especially when your whole family is on board.

Plenty of power on tap which enables you to overtake long road-train easily. 

The semi-autonomous driving (ACC + TJA) is perfect for the 1000km journey, The drive was 6-7 hours and I still felt fresh after it.

The most surprising part is even with a full load (5 people + a whole boot of luggage) the car managed the trip with an average fuel consumption of 6.9L / 100km (well over 40MPG).  Very happy indeed.

• Like 1

Perfect fairytale trip perhaps? Unless you drive it in boring soul sapping ways (under 3000rpm) you should never expect less than 10l/100km (or more than 23mpg) if you're looking to buy a 280.

PS. Engine under 3000rpm is simply lifeless. Torque charts show it's getting in all the torque at 2500 but realistically it don't have any juice in it under 3k rpm.

So yesterday I went to my favorite up-hill twisted road, put it into sport mode and selected ESC Sport (you need to do it in addition to choosing the sport mode, by holding down the ESC button). Came out from the segment a bit shaken and stirred, in that mode you get a lot of fun but you do need to watch it, easy to get carried away. No doubt that the engine is feels much more rev friendly as I build on the miles.

Just completed another of my continental road trips covering 2011 miles, or 3238 kms, in a week, visiting the many attractions of northern Germany.

On many occasions on the 120 km/h limit stretches of the autobahn I found I would be overtaken by cars travelling way in excess of the limit, only for them to suddenly slow right down so I'd catch up with them.

When it starting happening regularly I realised they were lookie-looks who just wanted a gander at my car as they very soon accelerated away again, probably thinking "Oh, it's just a Škoda".

The best part was reaching the derestriction whereupon the car accelerated effortlessly to an indicated and restricted 256 kph, catching and passing and no doubt surprising those lookie-looks.

Two years on and it still doesn't fail to generate a smug smile.

• Like 4