S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a 2.0 TSI 280PS 4x4 Estate and will need to fit winter tyres as I go to Germany in the winter months on business.

Previous car was an E class W212 Mercedes and was wondering if the 17" winter wheels from this would fit the new Superb?

Phil that all depends on the width and ET of your current winter wheels (not to mention the tyre size)

The 17” tyre size for the 280 should be 215/55/17 94W 

The Merc should still be 5x112 PCD but the centre bore may be larger... spigot rings are cheap enough and will reduce this down to the required 57.1mm 

As you can see below you ideally need an ET of between 40 - 44, although a few mm either way will not cause an issue.

Superb MKIII OE wheel sizes:

ET40 (7x17”)

ET41 (6½x16” & 6½x17”)  

ET44 (8x18 & 8x19”)

The tyres are 225/50 94H

Found this info on the W212 Mercedes

pcd 5/112

centre bore 66.6

ET 45

Edited by philsmith

I have read the previous posts but am not understanding whether my MkII winter steels and tyres will fit the MkIII Diesel 190 I have ordered.

My steels are described as LK5x112x57 and the tyres are 205/55 R16 94V. 

Not sure whether I need to sell them or not, so advice appreciated......

I have read the previous posts but am not understanding whether my MkII winter steels and tyres will fit the MkIII Diesel 190 I have ordered.

My steels are described as LK5x112x57 and the tyres are 205/55 R16 94V. 

Not sure whether I need to sell them or not, so advice appreciated......

The wheels are fine but the tyres should be 215/60 R16 95V, so the load rating, width and profile are all slightly out on yours.

They are not the recommended tyre side for the MKIII which should be:

215/60 R16 95V

215/55 R17 94W

235/45 R18 94W

235/40 R19 96W 

For me it’s a no brainer £493 for new steel wheels and tyres, or for the same price mint s/h alloys and tyres that still have 2 or 3 winters left in them.

In the grand scheme of things steel wheels are nowhere near cheap enough to make it viable IMO.

Personally I would rather have tyres that are ideally suited to the conditions, rather than a jack of all trades... and master of none.

If I didn’t have the room to store a second set of wheels then I would certainly consider them though.

• Like 1

Rather than running two sets of different wheels/tyres, is anyone tempted to buy into the marketing spiel for Michelin Cross Climate tyres and take a one-for-all approach?

Not until I've seen them go head to head in some decent tyre tests.

Autoexpress recently did an allseason tyre test (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-Auto-Express-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm) but didn't include the Michelin.

They still say in dry conditions at "normal" temps, the braking distances of all-seasons is still poorer than summer tyres.

Plus I don't think the Cross Climates are availabele in 18" sizes yet ?

I am in the process of buying a new Superb. Was told by the seller that my old rims would not fit because the offset is changed to accommodate wider rims/tires.

AFAIK it can use 17-19" rims. 

Since I am going to use it as a Taxi, I don't really want the 18" L&K rims, but will look for some 17" (Smallest possible diameter to get max profile.). Will try remember checking up the complete. Brochure says 7.0Jx17"/ 7.0Jx18"- whatever that means. Seems like it's the offset.

Guess I also have to remember asking weather they use those ****y wheel-mounted pressure gauges, or if they use the same kind of pressure-monitoring as the prev. model.

Was told by the seller that my old rims would not fit because the offset is changed to accommodate wider rims/tires.

AFAIK it can use 17-19" rims. 

Since I am going to use it as a Taxi, I don't really want the 18" L&K rims, but will look for some 17" (Smallest possible diameter to get max profile.). Will try remember checking up the complete. Brochure says 7.0Jx17"/ 7.0Jx18"- whatever that means. Seems like it's the offset.

Guess I also have to remember asking weather they use those ****y wheel-mounted pressure gauges, or if they use the same kind of pressure-monitoring as the prev. model.

The offset of your current winter wheels will not be the problem... the tyre size however will not be the recommended size, it’s all covered in the previous posts in this thread.

16” will fit all but the larger engine petrol cars.

The TPMS uses the same system as before, there is nothing mounted in the wheels.

I bought a torque wrench today from Lidl (28-220 Nm) - it's on offer for October. I found in the manual page 228 - "The prescribed tightening torque of the wheel bolts is 140 Nm."

Also noted though, on page 227 - "Under no circumstances grease or oil the wheel bolts!"

Does anyone currently grease bolts or hub when chaging over? I was looking into getting a tin of Molyslip Ceramic Anti-Seize from here. I thought at least the hub should be greased to stop the alloy from sticking to it.

For removing bolts I am looking at getting a Draper 19152 Extending Wheel Nut Wrench from Amazon here. I'm also planning on getting a trolley jack (yet to research what). The manual shows the use of the supplied jack which is located into a slot but a trolley jack doesn't have a slot so I'm not sure where to put it?

I bought a torque wrench today from Lidl (28-220 Nm) - it's on offer for October. I found in the manual page 228 - "The prescribed tightening torque of the wheel bolts is 140 Nm."

Also noted though, on page 227 - "Under no circumstances grease or oil the wheel bolts!"

Does anyone currently grease bolts or hub when chaging over? I was looking into getting a tin of Molyslip Ceramic Anti-Seize from here. I thought at least the hub should be greased to stop the alloy from sticking to it.

For removing bolts I am looking at getting a Draper 19152 Extending Wheel Nut Wrench from Amazon here. I'm also planning on getting a trolley jack (yet to research what). The manual shows the use of the supplied jack which is located into a slot but a trolley jack doesn't have a slot so I'm not sure where to put it?

Grease the hub - the manual doesn't say not to.

Unless otherwise stated, threaded components are torqued clean & ungreased.  If you grease the threads there is less friction & you can overtorque the fastener.

Having said all that, most wheel bolts / nuts are a bit corroded when you remove them, so they need wire brushing back to as-new (which is harder to achieve than you'd think).  Personally, I put the smallest smear (like a match head) of moly grease on a used bolt and have never had issues with over-torquing.  If others don't agree with me, that's fine.

140Nm surprises me.  I'm sure the Octavia with the same fastener size is 120Nm.  Will 20Nm extra be a huge concern?  I doubt it.

re: jack points - Up front try the rear pivot of the lower control arm.  At the rear, look just inf ront of the trailing arm pivot - there might be something there

Edited by brad1.8T

• 2 weeks later...

It's snowing here today which means I am no longer entirely road legal anymore and my winter shoes are not fitted as lock nut key in boot was incorrect.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I hope the replacement lock nut key arrives soon or I will be cycling into work in worse weather than this.

post-99061-0-81588200-1444823092_thumb.png

What width and ET are they?

I may be very interested

I will let you know when I put them on on Sat morning. I think they are 215/45/R17 xl 92H and ET38, however I will confirm that on Sat. Cost me €850 (taxfree) as fitted with Continental 850's which will have done around 3000km by the time I need to sell them on (if I go for a Superb that is).

I would have put them on last Friday but discovered that the lock nut key in the boot isn't for my car! How that happened at the factory I will never know. The pain in the arse thing is tho that my local German Skoda dealer wants to charge me €38 for one when it should be bloody free! Factory mistake, not dealer so it's a goodwill gesture or a refund.

As a backup, Motorline in Canterbury say they will have Skoda UK refund me if I have to pay. My plan is to send in SWMBO to collect it on Friday and more than likely she will give them both barrels until they relent or cement their position! I hope it's free as it's almost xmas.

• 2 weeks later...

I will let you know when I put them on on Sat morning. I think they are 215/45/R17 xl 92H and ET38, however I will confirm that on Sat. Cost me €850 (taxfree) as fitted with Continental 850's which will have done around 3000km by the time I need to sell them on (if I go for a Superb that is).

I would have put them on last Friday but discovered that the lock nut key in the boot isn't for my car! How that happened at the factory I will never know. The pain in the arse thing is tho that my local German Skoda dealer wants to charge me €38 for one when it should be bloody free! Factory mistake, not dealer so it's a goodwill gesture or a refund.

As a backup, Motorline in Canterbury say they will have Skoda UK refund me if I have to pay. My plan is to send in SWMBO to collect it on Friday and more than likely she will give them both barrels until they relent or cement their position! I hope it's free as it's almost xmas.

Correction, they are 225/45/R17 H.

I've seen in an earlier post, that the 7.ojx17" wheel for the new superb has an ET40,  if I fitted wheels 7.0jx17" with an ET of 41, would there be any problems? 

thanks for any advice.