S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

With my Focus I had to have different bolts for steel wheels as the angles were different on alloys to steel. Are you certain same alloy bolts ok for steels? Cheers.

I'm using the same set of bolts for alloy and steel wheels with no discernible problems.

On the contrary, my son's Yaris – bought 2nd hand – had wrong "steel wheels" bolts which slightly damaged the alloy wheels bolt holes for they carved into the holes edges and we had to change them with "flat" bolts.

I think that the main risk is to use "conic" bolts with alloys, while using "flat" ones isn't a problem. As my Octavia had OEM "conic" bolts with her OEM alloys, I assume they're OK.

As a rule of thumb, +3 psi over summer tyres.

I'm not certain that is the full story. I believe that the tyre pressure should be close to the car manufacturer's recommend pressure at the expected ambient temperature when in use.  This would mean that a tyre fitted in a heated garage (20C) would be inflated to 33psi if the outside temp was around 0C and the recommended pressure is 30psi.  "Always check the inflation pressure when the tyres are cold. Do not reduce the higher pressure of warm tyres."

Having typed the text above  I search for what a cold tyre temperature is and found this  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_inflation_pressure 

Just got my factory tyres replaced today. Used Goodyear UG's for the last whatever years but this year all shops I contacted were out of stock for my tyre dimensions. So:

Contipremiumcontact5 to winter contact ts850 p.

Dimensions: 215 55 r17

The shop was only 500m or so close but the drive back home felt much better and smoother than stock tyres (unless it's me making it all up). Maybe it's because of the low tyre pressure after the early winter we are experiencing here in turkey.

Can't comment on other aspects yet. Will update if I don't forget to.

Here's how I made the choice.

Firstly I went on line and looked for wheels that fitted, my car is a 190DSG L&K Estate. As the spare has a 16" wheel I started there, and found Oponeo had suitable wheels at £41 each.

My car usually runs on 18" alloys with 235/45 Pirelli P7 tyres so I then used will they fit.com to check circumference and therefore speedometer accuracy. What this gave me was 215/65 tyres, I found Vredestien Wintrac Extreme S tyres, again on Oponeo, with the wheels these came to £512 for 4, ordered, sent to my local garage for fitting of the tyres to the wheels, a further £60 and all done.

I'm finding the mpg has improved by about 10% and ride quality and handling have also both improved, this maybe down to the temperature, it's -6 as I write and the best I've seen is + 2.5 over the past day or 2. Very happy with the tyres, I had Wintrac Extreme's on a SAAB so an easy choice this time round.

• 2 months later...

My Sportline got 225/45/19 Continental Icecontact 2 -studded tyres for winter. A bit oversize but fit nicely, a bit narrower and a bit more rubber to soften the ride & give more clearance.

• 4 months later...

Hi All

Long time since I've posted on here but hope you can advise!

I've just ordered a 190 DSG 4x4 L&K hatchback which I believe is shod with 235/45 tyres on 8x18 ET44 wheels - in my garage I have a set of Skoda 7½x18 alloys shod with 225/40R18 92V Avon Ice Touring tyres - This wheel/tyre combo have been used on both my previous Skodas (S2 4x4 Superb Hatch and Octavia 4x4 SE Estate) but will they be OK on the new car? Thanks

Simmo

Simmo,

The 225/40 tyres will give you a reduction in rolling radius of about 16mm which in turn will make your speedo under read by about 5% which should be ok. But it will also make your fuel consumption nominally worse by the same amount. There’s probably a setting in the computer to fix this, I’m sure someone will advise if there is. 

Paul

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 19/10/2017 at 16:14, PaulDSG said:

Simmo,

The 225/40 tyres will give you a reduction in rolling radius of about 16mm which in turn will make your speedo under read by about 5% which should be ok. But it will also make your fuel consumption nominally worse by the same amount. There’s probably a setting in the computer to fix this, I’m sure someone will advise if there is. 

Paul

Problem here is that it's illegal for the speedo to under-read.   It can over-read by up to 10%, but you must never be travelling faster in real life than your speedo indicates.

My error, for clarity, a smaller rolling radius will mean that each wheel rotation will take the car a shorter distance forward that with a standard radius, therefore the car’s speedo showing 30mph will have the car actually doing 28.5mph assuming no other errors in the system, this is legal. 

2 hours ago, PaulDSG said:

My error, for clarity, a smaller rolling radius will mean that each wheel rotation will take the car a shorter distance forward that with a standard radius, therefore the car’s speedo showing 30mph will have the car actually doing 28.5mph assuming no other errors in the system, this is legal. 

Correct.  The speedo is over-reading, not under-reading and as you say, that's fine.

• 3 years later...

Failing to source some winter wheels atm

Team dynamics apparently have not delivered any wheels out of their factory since last sept since being acquired

Sparco can't deliver until end of September and they don't do 57.1 centre bore wheels so spigots needed.

OEM blades 18 inch seem not to be available second hand let alone new, choices from caffeyrns don't appear to suit the S3 sport line that well.

Ideally was wanting a lighter wheel, close to the sportline look, so looks like aftermarket might be the only way, perhaps BBS.

Question:

has anyone gone 17x7.5 ET35 with a 215/55/17 tyre?

looks like it will be ok compared to existing sportline vegas and 235/40/19

Compared to your existing wheel, this new wheel will have an inner rim which is 15.4mm further away from the suspension strut. The outer rim will poke out 2.7mm more than before.

Wheel Fitment Guide

Alternatively, going with 18 inch winters

the only choices I have seem to be

1. 18x8 et48 - so would be 4mm closer.  this is the wheel I would prefer in terms of look but not the ET (sparco assetto gara)

2. 18x8 et35 - much better spaced, but not in my first choice of wheel. (sparco DRS or trofeo 5)

all the above wheels would need spigot rings - cant seem to find many 57.1 new wheels available

Edited by fraz8888

8 hours ago, fraz8888 said:

has anyone gone 17x7.5 ET35 with a 215/55/17 tyre?

225/55r17 are ok

on 7JX17 ET40 Stratos

and 7.5x17 E45 AVUS Racing AC-515 Felgen black

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

As my car has stupid sized wheels/tyres on it (235/45R19) I understand I cannot fit snow chains.

In France the "Loi Montagne" is becoming more widespread, and it happens to affect a few areas I travel to fairly frwquently.

So, I have started looking at my options for my Superb Estate IV.

I believe that the sizes that will fit the car (and are homologated for use) are:

205 or 215 / 60 R16 in 92 or 95 V rayed tyres on 6.5J x 16 ET41 wheels.

215/55R17 on 6.5J x 17 ET41 or 7Jx17ET40 wheels

235/45R18 on 8J x 18 ET44 wheels.

Does anybody know for sure if the 16" wheels fit the IV? I don't see that they willnhave massice calipers due to the regenerative braking.

I am tempted to go for the cheapest option, with the biggest sidewall for comfort, but I need to have a look at tyre prices, and what will allow me to fit snow chains.

I shall continue my search, and talk to the dealer to see what they have to say.

53 minutes ago, CageyH said:

Yes, but I have seen that 16” wheels cannot be fitted to an IV, so I guess that leaves me with one option…

17” wheels….

This is in the manual for the Superb iV 2020.

17" wheels are only needed if you have the massive 340mm diameter front discs, as 16" wheels won't clear the brake calipers on those.

Technical specifications

Permitted rim / tire combinations for the installation of the snow chains.

Rim size

Wheel size

6.5Jx16 ET41

215/60 R16

6.5Jx17 ET41

215/55 R17

Only use snow chains with links and locks no larger than 13 mm.

Edited by Carlston
  • Like 1