S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

Gizmo68,

thanks for that,  I was looking for a set of alloys to fit 17" winter tyres on, and the different ET sizes was confusing, I currently have 18" pegasus alloys, and though that going back to my old 16" steels, would be too much of a difference.  I've seen a set of Gigaro 17" black / silver alloys on superskoda for €659, while Skoda Ireland are pricing a set of alloys at €1610,  now I just have to find the right set of tyres.    Was thinking of either Goodyear Ultragrip 8, Hankook winter icep evo2, Pirelli W210 sotto zero S2, or Continental Winter contact TS 850P,  all have a C,C tyre rating and goodyear have a 68dB noise rating while the other 3 have a 72.  

What would be the best of these, or is there better.

The Gigaro’s will not fit as they are 5x100 PCD and you need 5x112 PCD

For tyres nothing at the moment would sway me away from Nokian, currently have the new D4 to fit, these are C and B and 69dB... just do not buy from Oponeo 

17x7 you can use anything from ET55 through to ET30

This is only valid if you don't want to use snow chains! For snow chains you need ET 40 or 41. (And preferably a 6.5Jx17 rim, although some after market wheels also allow snow chains on 7Jx17).

This is only valid if you don't want to use snow chains! For snow chains you need ET 40 or 41. (And preferably a 6.5Jx17 rim, although some after market wheels also allow snow chains on 7Jx17).

As jonnb was from Dublin I wasn't considering the need for snow chains.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone sanity check this for me please.

Am looking at some Audi alloys, from an A4 B8 S-Line.

They are 8x18, 5x112, offset 47mm.

Centre bore is 66.6mm.

Will these fit OK with spigot rings ?

Thanks in advance...

EDIT: just seen the CB IS 66.6mm, post amended...

Edited by muddyboots

Cheers.

Here's another option - how do these Audi alloys sound:

7j x 18"

5x112

CB 57.1

Offset 43

I think the wheels would fit, but what tyres would fit ?

235/45/18 have a diameter of 669mm (these are the size fitted to the car from the factory)

225/45/18 have a diameter of 660mm - this is a -1.35% change in diameter, and plenty of choice in winter tyres with a 95 load rating.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Taken the plunge and bought the wheels. They're off a Q3 if it helps anyone else, but the Q3 uses 235/50/18 tyres - so will be flogging those, and putting some 225/45/18 winters on.

Most guides say 225 should be OK on 7" rims. Will see soon enough!

Edited by muddyboots

Hi All

New to the forum here and about to place an order for new Superb.

My Audi A6 has245/45 R18, 8x18 ET42 as winter tyres and 19's as summer. Will the 18's fit on the new Superb? I have asked the dealer but they have not got back to me yet. Don't really want to buy another set of winter wheels and have the hassle of selling the current Audi set.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

Here's another option - how do these Audi alloys sound:

7j x 18"

5x112

CB 57.1

Offset 43

I think the wheels would fit, but what tyres would fit ?

235/45/18 have a diameter of 669mm (these are the size fitted to the car from the factory)

225/45/18 have a diameter of 660mm - this is a -1.35% change in diameter, and plenty of choice in winter tyres with a 95 load rating.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Taken the plunge and bought the wheels. They're off a Q3 if it helps anyone else, but the Q3 uses 235/50/18 tyres - so will be flogging those, and putting some 225/45/18 winters on.

Most guides say 225 should be OK on 7" rims. Will see soon enough!

Following up on this.

The Q3 7"x18" alloys were fitted with 235 section tyres, which looked very wide on the rims (kind of OK on something off-roady) so I was worried that my 225 section tyres would also look a bit wide for the SIII (225 generally being the widest recommended fitment on 7" rims...)

But the 225/45/18 Dunlop WInter Sport looks just perfect, not wide at all - nicely in line with the rim.

Weirdly, in the garage I've got 4 x 215/60/16 wheels/tyres for the Yeti stacked next to 4 x 225/45/18 wheels/tyres for the Superb, and the 4 x 215s stand taller ?

Following up on this.

The Q3 7"x18" alloys were fitted with 235 section tyres, which looked very wide on the rims (kind of OK on something off-roady) so I was worried that my 225 section tyres would also look a bit wide for the SIII (225 generally being the widest recommended fitment on 7" rims...)

But the 225/45/18 Dunlop WInter Sport looks just perfect, not wide at all - nicely in line with the rim.

Weirdly, in the garage I've got 4 x 215/60/16 wheels/tyres for the Yeti stacked next to 4 x 225/45/18 wheels/tyres for the Superb, and the 4 x 215s stand taller ?

You need to get a better understanding of the sidewall profile & how it affects fitment & diameter.  

eg:  a 235/50r18 will fit a rim width range of 6.5"-8.5".

A 235/45r18  has a rim width range of 7.5"-9"

A 225/45r18 (is that really the OEM Superb fitment?) has a rim width range of 7"-8.5"

A 225/40r18 (Isn't this the Superb OEM fitment?) has a rim width range of 7.5"- 9"

215/60r16 are about 26.1" in diameter ; 225/45r18 are about 25.9" diameter

A 235/45r18  has a rim width range of 7.5"-9"

A 225/45r18 (is that really the OEM Superb fitment?) has a rim width range of 7"-8.5"

A 225/40r18 (Isn't this the Superb OEM fitment?) has a rim width range of 7.5"- 9"

235/45/18 is the SIII OE fitment, on an 8" rim.

I'm fitting 225/45/18 on a 7" Q3 rim (just over 1% reduction in overall diameter).

My question was more about having two sets of wheels/tyres, laid on their sides, stacked up 4 high.

The stack of 4 x 215 tyres is taller than the stack of 4 x 225.

The profile and diameter has no effect on this does it ?

• 5 weeks later...

Looking to buy a set of 16-inch steel rims to use with a Superb 190TDI 4X4, and seem to be struggling to find them for the S3. Anyone got any pointers?

Closest I can find are there, from tyreleader.

16-inch diameter, 7-inch width, 5X112 bolt pattern, 45 offset but 57mm (not 57.1) centre bore.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/superb-combi/2-0tdi-4x4-20077

Ordered a set of 17" SCUDO wheels from Superskoda. Look to be OK based on what this thread is telling me. PCD is 5x112, 7Jx17, ET45. Not overly bothered about the look as they will get covered in cr@p in the winter anyway.

€520 (£405) delivered. 30% discount plus extra 20% sale discount. Just need to source some tyres now. I'm assuming the standard bolts will fit.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

• 2 weeks later...

Really pleased with the wheels. Now fitted with Pirelli Sotozero winter tyres for £400.17p. I couldn't get him down the £0.17 :-)

Seem quieter than the OE summer tyres and grip is very good.

If anyone cares, I'll put a piccie up.

Yes please.