VCDS options on Superb III

Just playing devils advocate & the H&S monster!

That's why, on the MK II estate (as the twin-boot isn't electric), it plays an audio warning when the boot is remotely opened (or closed) and that can't be switched off AFIK with VCDS. The closing also stops if it encounters an obstruction, though not as sensitive as the closing windows, so simply holding your arm in the way doesn't offer sufficient resistance.  :strong:

It took me 3 years to discover there was coding to remotely close the boot. Hopefully it won't take that long on the Superb III.

I'm ashamed to say that I have never really taken any interest in VCDS however Gizmo's post about Media Command made my ears ***** up !

That was an option I was going to select but decided I probably wouldn't use enough..... Will we be able to enable that on an SE L ?

Many thx gizmo68 on info on smart light! I managed to change my order to include this option!

Regards Mr I hate options!

Keep losing signa think i have it now many thanks gismo68 too as it caught me out too have added it to order

It looks like we will be able to enable some good stuff:

1 Video in motion

2 Sign recognition

3 High beam assist

4 Disable stop - start

How do you get this enabled? At a main dealer or does it need to be a back-street guy?

How do you get this enabled? At a main dealer or does it need to be a back-street guy?

You need someone with VCDS (a link to Briskoda owners who have it is in my signature)

And would that affect warranty?

No

and indeed which, if any, features impact on insurance premiums?? Please do not get caught out by having insurance voided by not notifying them.....

They are all factory options apart from the video in motion, I assume this would be frowned upon as it suggests you will be watching videos whilst driving so therefore not concentrating on the road so a MUCH higher risk to them... not to mention it’s illegal.

• Like 1

You need someone with VCDS (a link to Briskoda owners who have it is in my signature)

No

They are all factory options apart from the video in motion, I assume this would be frowned upon as it suggests you will be watching videos whilst driving so therefore not concentrating on the road so a MUCH higher risk to them... not to mention it’s illegal.

Presumably it is not illegal for the VCDS operative only the driver/owner? I think insurance companies now ask a question has the car (not the engine) been modified and to say no  when it has been changed could void insurance.....

Presumably it is not illegal for the VCDS operative only the driver/owner? I think insurance companies now ask a question has the car (not the engine) been modified and to say no  when it has been changed could void insurance.....

I very much doubt it in this case ....

• 2 weeks later...

One question for the many forces guys who will buy these, does the Superb have 2 rear fog lights illuminated or just the one like in the Octy 3?

Last time it was just a short visit to a polite gent with VCDS to code my Octy 3 into a twin rear fog light motor. It would be a shame if the simply clever guys at Skoda ignored this one again. Here's hoping..

It has only one rear fog light.

But my question is: why would you need 2 rear fog lights? One is more than enough, because it is really strong, so the second one only ''blinds'' additionally rear drivers. No more safety due to it.

• Like 2

But my question is: why would you need 2 rear fog lights? One is more than enough, because it is really strong, so the second one only ''blinds'' additionally rear drivers. No more safety due to it.

Maybe because, if you see two lights then you know for sure it's not a motorbike. If you only see one light then you're not so sure. That can be important information when you're driving in conditions where all you can see is the the fog light.

Also, lighting doesn't work like that. Having two lights doesn't mean you have double the brightness. Therefore, having a second light won't blind you twice as much.

And most importantly, if you are getting blinded by fog lights then that is probably an indicator that you're driving too close to the car in front. If the fog lights ever appear brighter than normal tail lights on a non-foggy day then you're probably driving too close. Of course if traffic is moving much slower then this doesn't hold true but then getting blinded by fog lights when you're crawling at 5 mph in heavy traffic isn't exactly the same dangerous situation as when you're driving along a free running dual carriage way.

Edited by techno79
  • Like 2

Maybe because, if you see two lights then you know for sure it's not a motorbike. If you only see one light then you're not so sure. That can be important information when you're driving in conditions where all you can see is the the fog light.

The intention of fog light is to be an early sign that somebody is in front of you. And for this one fog light is enough. When you come closer you get info that it is not motorbike, since you can see normal rear lights.

In my country a lot of people turn on rear fog lights also when they are not needed, for example when it is raining. And in this situation two rear fog lights are much worse than only one.

I am sure, that car manufacturers would not go for one rear fog light if it would not be enough for the function that should perform.

Edited by mtl
  • Like 2

By EU law the illuminated rear fog light has to be on the drivers side or both sides. In the UK that is the RHS when viewed from behind.

In Europe where they drive on "the wrong side of the road" the fog light is on the LHS or both. Having 1 or 2 fogs is manufacturer and model specific.

When you drive a RHD car in a LHD country (or vice versa) your one rear fog light when lit will be back the front. That means you would be breaking the law (in doggy conditions) and would as a result cause your car to fail that countries respective MOT / TUV. When you have both rear fogs lit as I now do (thanks to a nice VCDS owner) I am legal anywhere I go in EU. Plus I like ppl knowing is a car n not a motorbike.

It wasn't an issue on my old Superb II's as they both had two rear fogs lit as standard. The Mk5 Golf before them tho required two new inner rear light clusters as they were tinted red for fog or clear for reverse.

The annoying thing is, I can flat beam my xenons for driving in mainland Europe, but if they had programmed the (would have been a simply clever thought) fogs to switch at the same time as well (to stay legal) it would have been nice. If you have Sat Nav fitted as standard the car automatically knows when it's in Europe and flat beams the lights for you. SIMPLY CLEVER in one case is only half done altogether.

• Like 1

Yes, they are quite similar, though according to my (little for now :D ) experience some things do not work on Superb.

Also you have to use a little logic to get to the correct tweaks (for example working on lights channells, etc.).

Hi MTL, I know you've started uploading some vids on YouTube showing what can be done. Have you had any luck with Traffic Sign recognition? I'm wondering if it's worth the £85 or not!

Currently all Superbs that I have worked on had TSR already factory fitted. Current VCDS version also does not support 100% new MIB2 units. There are some problems with it. Also A5 camera is different than in Octy.

I would say like this: if you can live without TSR, than think about not configuring it. If not, tick it in the config.

• Like 1

Can anyone tell me please if the new Superb has one or two rear foglights? If it's one then I will have to find someone to code a light swap after delivery.

see above answer from mtl #63 and follow on comments....

Pardon my blindness above. Thank you for letting me know it only has one.

Now I need to know if the other side can be lit via VCDS coding, or is it a reverse light in which case I will have to buy two replacement clusters. That would be a pain in the arse I can tell you.

Does any one know if a Skoda (ideally the Superb) fitted with full KESSY can be coded so that the car automatically locks when the key goes out of range?

• Like 2

Does any one know if a Skoda (ideally the Superb) fitted with full KESSY can be coded so that the car automatically locks when the key goes out of range?

Diltz - I've read two of your posts in the last few minutes (answered one) but they are great questions and after having a Megan that did this and an Octy that didn't I'm really looking forward to both of us getting an answer to this one.

• Like 1

Now I need to know if the other side can be lit via VCDS coding, or is it a reverse light in which case I will have to buy two replacement clusters. That would be a pain in the arse I can tell you.

Rear fog light is a separate bulb and does not use the same bulb as rear parking lights as it is the case for example in Octavia 3.

I didn't have yet chance to check if only coding will be enough. This is a photo of a right-hand drive car. :p

superb-fog-light.jpg

Edited by mtl
  • Like 1