HELP Cigarette lighter

Mine didn't work when I got the car I just replaced it, couple of pound off eBay, you need to remove the plastic in front of the gear stick and a few bolts on the centre console. It's easy to wire a new one in with it all out.

• Like 1

Are you sure there is not a metal object down in the lighter socket thus blowing the fuse ?

DB.

That's a good point, I ended up blowing a fuse when I was replacing mine when I accidentally shorted the socket (screwdriver I think). 

Also David289 if it's looking a bit rusty then might need replaced anyway - as DubDub says replacements are cheap enough on eBay. Bear in mind if you want a quick swap then you'll need a VAG part as it has a has a different connector (three-wire plug) than the generic socket (not a big deal to fit a generic part though).

Does the cigarette lighter have a circle of green light around it?  If so mine doesn't light up but the actual cigarette lighter socket works fine.   Just wondering how to fix this (if it should light up)?

Does the cigarette lighter have a circle of green light around it?  If so mine doesn't light up but the actual cigarette lighter socket works fine.   Just wondering how to fix this (if it should light up)?

Yes, they light up. Mine didn't work either so I removed the lighter and cleaned up the bulb contacts and now it works. The bulb wasn't even blown.

I relocated mine to under the heater, and added an additional socket, I replaced the original with an on/off switch that turns the power to the newly located twin ciggy lighters (that also light up when the lights come on)

the orginal was a P.I.T.A. to get out...

Edited by SkUG
  • Like 2

I relocated mine to under the heater, and added an additional socket, I replaced the original with an on/off switch that turns the power to the newly located twin ciggy lighters (that also light up when the lights come on)

the orginal was a P.I.T.A. to get out...

Great idea. Mind if I copy? :)

• Like 1

Feel free, had to cut a screwdriver in 1/2 to get the screws back into the heater as the screwdrivers where all too long with the center console in (make sure the screws aren't too long, don't want em going into the heater controls!)

oh and they're mounted into one of the DIN storage trays (had a spare one) mounted backwards - also note the later trim around the radio (one piece - it doesnt fit properly and is glued in)

Edited by SkUG

just noticed you can't see that picture...

can't remember how to upload pictures...

lets hope this works

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11900057_10155985931285274_2202686814426524282_n.jpg?oh=1098f56de5b0ed98fbb88885c4da2802&oe=566A10C4 :)

oh and the ashtray still opens, but if you have the drinks holder instead of the ashtray, doubt you can fit a can in there anymore

Edited by SkUG

Have fun!

I used bullet connectors so I could quickly remove the wires If i ever need to remove the centre console again (replaced the grey one for a black one and found 32p in there!)

The location is so much better for the satnav - so fed up of changing gear and having to move the cable out the way for the millionth time

Edited by SkUG
  • Like 2