Vrs 184 revo remap results

The other angle is that a good map should cater for the most commonly available fuel, or be able to tolerate a bad batch. I wouldn't be placated driving away with a car that pinks on 95RON, by being told 97RON will solve the problem. If the map cannot handle 95, safest to leave stock or find another map that can. Just my opinion. 

4 hours ago, Orville said:

The other angle is that a good map should cater for the most commonly available fuel, or be able to tolerate a bad batch. I wouldn't be placated driving away with a car that pinks on 95RON, by being told 97RON will solve the problem. If the map cannot handle 95, safest to leave stock or find another map that can. Just my opinion. 

Would you consider Revo a good map?

Revo have a good reputation in terms of reliability but I have never used them. APR maps tend to produce the most power, but they have a (widely reported) tendancy for turbo failures. I like the idea of Superchips Bluefin, where you can load/remove the map at will and at a very reasonable price, but Superchips reputation from decades past is not as good as Revo's. One of the chaps at Karate club has been very happy with his Superchips mapped Focus ST which has been running fine for several years.

I have a TSI and have an inclination towards Bluefin, but if I owned the diesel I would probably consider a DTUK tuning box over a remap. Lots of people rate them here.

15 hours ago, Orville said:

That entirely depends what you want from a map, the car already has a good map by standard that can handle 95 and 97Ron equally well.

If you want more power, maps are optimised to achieve that by running leaner and with higher boost, which generally warrants a higher octane rating. There are several Revo maps to choose from, optimised for different octane ratings and boost levels. I chose the high boost, high octane map, which requires 97Ron, I could have chosen a low boost, lower octane map. 

10 hours ago, Orville said:

Revo have a good reputation in terms of reliability but I have never used them. APR maps tend to produce the most power, but they have a (widely reported) tendancy for turbo failures. I like the idea of Superchips Bluefin, where you can load/remove the map at will and at a very reasonable price, but Superchips reputation from decades past is not as good as Revo's. One of the chaps at Karate club has been very happy with his Superchips mapped Focus ST which has been running fine for several years.

I have a TSI and have an inclination towards Bluefin, but if I owned the diesel I would probably consider a DTUK tuning box over a remap. Lots of people rate them here.

I found the Superchips product (Bluefin) to be excellent, and backed up by excellent customer service too.

if I had to choose anyone for a remap it would be them or Shark, and no one else.

16 hours ago, waaar said:

That entirely depends what you want from a map, the car already has a good map by standard that can handle 95 and 97Ron equally well.

If you want more power, maps are optimised to achieve that by running leaner and with higher boost, which generally warrants a higher octane rating. There are several Revo maps to choose from, optimised for different octane ratings and boost levels. I chose the high boost, high octane map, which requires 97Ron, I could have chosen a low boost, lower octane map. 

I've just had mine Revo'd and it's knocking (using the 98 map and 98 RON fuel) under WOT. Did you/do you see the same thing? 

Knocking of around -4-5 degrees which is outside their guidelines of -1 to -3 degrees.

Edited by mabnz

2 hours ago, mabnz said:

I've just had mine Revo'd and it's knocking (using the 98 map and 98 RON fuel) under WOT. Did you/do you see the same thing? 

Knocking of around -4-5 degrees which is outside their guidelines of -1 to -3 degrees.

First thing that would come to mind is there is a lot of 97/98/99 fuel out there that isn't. Doesnt take a mapped car to feel that. Same fuel, same station same pump, just different day can be the difference.

That said its no secret that fuel can be a bit variable even in the best of places and although they nare designed to make the most of better fuel a 97 map should not fall off a cliff if the RON drops towards 95 for whatever reason

• Like 1

On 2/11/2017 at 07:43, mabnz said:

Mine was knocking at 4 degrees following remap, but I was using standard UL. It does sound like you may have had a bad batch of fuel.

In the UK the Super Unleaded being sold at the Filling Stations is 97 ron (Minimum) or 99 ron (Minimum) 

None of the UK Retailers have pumps selling Super Unleaded @ 98 ron (minimum)

1 hour ago, Offski said:

In the UK the Super Unleaded being sold at the Filling Stations is 97 ron (Minimum) or 99 ron (Minimum) 

When I bought Super Unleaded from the Sainsburys at Brackley the pump said it was 98RON?

Can you take a picture of that next time you are there please?

I use Sainsburys Super Unleaded when i can not get Tesco Momentum 99 and never seen 98 Octane on a UK Pump.

I have a switchable APR Map.

(I will not use Shell V-Power Nitro+ 99 minimum, dont need or want their detergent package or the possible bore wash issues.)

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

Can you take a picture of that next time you are there please?

That won't be for some time as I don't often go there now my brother has moved to Wiltshire.

No matter i visit plenty and will look forwarding to seeing 98 ron on a pump if that is available anyplace, doubt there are many if any but then if you have seen it someplace who knows.

When i asked in the Performance Section the AwesomeGTI person where they got the 98 Octane they quote for the 1.2 TSI's & the Remaps at online he / she admitted that was the APR figures and they use 97 ron.

5 hours ago, Offski said:

The only 98Ron I'm aware of used to be Shell Optimax, it's long since been replaced by V-Power which is 99Ron.

• 7 months later...
On 03/09/2015 at 20:21, neil_f said:

Correct the diesels usually run significantly more boost standard than a petrol. My point was when remapping a diesel boost pressure is barely changed in comparison to a petrol therefore the turbo is not really put under any more stress.

Has this actually been measured, or is it anecdotal? I've had 3 maps in three different cars, two were excellent from shark though I also needed an uprated clutch on second one, and finally a very torquey one (not shark) that resulted in a failed turbo. It's not a scenario I'd like to be repeated, and definitely  not with a diesel engine.