Can a car be jinxed?

threadbear

I haven't been on this forum for a while, mainly because I no longer drive a Skoda. I chopped in a Fabia Estate for a Volkswagen Polo as I got a good deal. When I was driving the car home From the garage on the 1st March I picked up a stone chip on the windscreen. A couple of months later I started to get rattling from the front suspension. Turns out the brake pad clips in the front calibers had worked loose giving uneven brake wear. These were replaced.

Then someone drove into the car and damaged the paintwork which I got repaired. Now the door panels have started to creak when moving at manoeuvring at slow speeds over uneven ground. And the b pillars rattle where the seat belt tensioner a are mounted. I have also acquired another stone chip in the windscreen.

And now I have a product recall on the car for a brake servo pipe.

To be honest I thoroughly disenchanted with the car and wished I'd gone with a Fabia 3. I have the car on VAG Finance PCP.

What do the good people of Briskoda think?

Well stone chips and eejits are just the luck of the draw although it does seem that some cars attract bad luck and eejits more than others.

I think more realistically some colours and designs of cars less more noticeable to eejits than others. And some cars are designed in a way that makes stone chips more likely.

However I firmly believe in the existence of the Monday morning / Friday afternoon lemon.

Sounds like you've bought a Renault not a VW.

Door sqeaks - silicon / PTFE spray on the rubbers will help

Then rest, well if it's under warranty stamp your feet and make a scene. If not move the car on when you can if you've lost confidence in it.

• Like 1

Uuummmmmm....I had a jinxed (Friday) Ford Fiesta ST recently and it is now history.

Yes I believe that you can have an unlucky car.

Is your Polo a 3 door?

My 3 door Golf creeks all the time around the drivers door when carrying out slow manoeuvres over uneven ground, like getting into my drive every night :(

Aspman, is this any good and safe to use on the rubbers?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/grease/halfords-silicone-lubricant-400ml

Edited by Defenderben

However I firmly believe in the existence of the Monday morning / Friday afternoon lemon.

Sounds like you've bought a Renault not a VW.

Ha! I was about to say it sounds like a Fiat, maybe that's too unkind.

Any Silicone spray should be fine for rubbers and plastics.

• Like 2

My Polo is a 5 door and the door cards only started to creak when we recently spent a few days on Dartmoor.

Edited by threadbear

The car is going in a Friday for the recall and am asking them to have a look at the B pillars. It is amazing how such small niggly things can pee you off.

I have to say I wasn't expecting this of a Volkswagen.

mk 3 vrs jinxed from day one

1.Wood came off a lorry smashed front of car / windscreen

2.metal security ramp threw a wobbler at work as I came over it result £6000 damage complete new front end

3.brick between a tyre on m62 on a hgv smashed windscreen again

4.came out of supermarket some kind person hit back off car

5.came back to car and somebody gone down the side scratched it all

6.result is now don't give a monkeys never clean it park it anywhere and u think your car is jinxed ....this in mind I do about 2,000 miles a week in my hgv job and not a bloody thing ever happens

• Like 1

The car is going in a Friday for the recall and am asking them to have a look at the B pillars. It is amazing how such small niggly things can pee you off.

Rattles in a car drive me nuts.

My Clio had them to such an extent it was almost musical, to add to the occasionally whistling sunroof.

It's one of the best things about my Accord. 5yr old and no rattles, not a one. Unless SWMBO has filled up all the door pockets with ****e

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

mk 3 vrs jinxed from day one1.Wood came off a lorry smashed front of car / windscreen2.metal security ramp threw a wobbler at work as I came over it result £6000 damage complete new front end3.brick between a tyre on m62 on a hgv smashed windscreen again4.came out of supermarket some kind person hit back off car5.came back to car and somebody gone down the side scratched it all6.result is now don't give a monkeys never clean it park it anywhere and u think your car is jinxed ....this in mind I do about 2,000 miles a week in my hgv job and not a bloody thing ever happens

Your car does sound like it is really jinxed! As always, there is alway's someone worse off than yourself. I sympathise.

In all the cars I've owned the one that sticks out as being jinxed or a pain in the ar*** was a Vauxhall Signum.

I really hated the place I bought it from (but still did, doh!!) first mistake. It had a part missing (long story in itself) which the garage kept me waiting 3 months. It had a few faults which came to light later, not major though. The rear brake discs kept getting really hot, almost burning, no cause found.  Then the aircon packed up, then springs broke (common on these apparently) I had two punctures within a few months, then a roadside rescue (when one of the springs snapped) damaged paintwork on the front of the car. Whilst the car was in for paint repair someone put a dent in the front passenger door.............

Shall I go on, no, no it pains me to think I really wanted that car but after two years I got rid. Apart from all the grief it was a nice runner, a 1.9Cdti.

I've never owned a car previously or after that car that was anywhere near as bad at producing faults/incidents as that did.

Oh and I forgot about about the kids that scratched all down the side of it with a bike.

Edited by MickA

Having read all your threads Of tales of woe, I think I will bear with the Polo as it is nowhere near as bad as some of your cars. I will see how I get on on Friday with my rattles. And will probably invest in PTFE spray!

I reckon my previous car was jynxed... it was run into the back of, failed nct every time it was brought in and failure fix turned up another problem. I spun it on black ice, luckily didnt hit antything. Nearly got plowed into on a hundred occasions, got loads of punctures. 2replacement windscreens. Wheel bearing replacement led to a cv joint snapping. And the engine gave up the ghost 3days before christmas, 8 months before my wedding, so replacimg it did a nasty on our savings for that.

Proper pita that car was...

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been on this forum for a while, mainly because I no longer drive a Skoda. I chopped in a Fabia Estate for a Volkswagen Polo as I got a good deal. When I was driving the car home From the garage on the 1st March I picked up a stone chip on the windscreen. A couple of months later I started to get rattling from the front suspension. Turns out the brake pad clips in the front calibers had worked loose giving uneven brake wear. These were replaced.

Then someone drove into the car and damaged the paintwork which I got repaired. Now the door panels have started to creak when moving at manoeuvring at slow speeds over uneven ground. And the b pillars rattle where the seat belt tensioner a are mounted. I have also acquired another stone chip in the windscreen.

To be honest I thoroughly disenchanted with the car and wished I'd gone with a Fabia 3. I have the car on VAG Finance PCP.

Edited by threadbear

Further to my niggly faults on my Polo, the car is now going back in yet again because when the ignition is on and driving the interior light wont go out! Fortunately it does go out when the car is locked.

Edited by threadbear

I would get shot of the thing if it were mine. Vw are not all good cars my manager just bought Audi a3 80 miles spent 3 weeks in garage. If that was mine it would still be there and get a full refund.

Every one has seen the earring advert of old them days are long gone.

Definitely. I recall one company Vectra

On the day I took delivery of it was reversed into in Morrisons car park whilst I was sitting in it on the mobile to my then line manager telling, him it had been delivered.

In its next 3 years it was rear ended twice whilst stationary at traffic lights (both times by young women fiddling with their ICE),

Reversed into again, this time T-boned in a B&Q car park, again as I was stationary waiting to exit.

Windscreen shattered by a stone or similar on the M25.

It got to the stage where our fleet department suggested trading it in early for a bright yellow one - luckily only in jest.

Keep it until the warranty is gone then shift it asap.

Sounds like just one of those cars that will have endless little (yet expensive) faults.

Probably got rolled in the docks when they took it off the ship ;)

Thanks for your comments. I really feel like going back to Skoda. Not sure what the process would be being only 6 months into a PCP?

Thanks for your comments. I really feel like going back to Skoda. Not sure what the process would be being only 6 months into a PCP?

Speak to a Skoda dealer they'll probably be able to advise what's available to you.

You might have to wait a while before it's viable to change.

Or speak to CAB about rejecting the car but mostly these faults are niggles and don't seriously affect the functioning of the car. Also they're fixing everything under warranty

• 4 months later...

Speak to a Skoda dealer they'll probably be able to advise what's available to you.

You might have to wait a while before it's viable to change.

Or speak to CAB about rejecting the car but mostly these faults are niggles and don't seriously affect the functioning of the car. Also they're fixing everything under warranty

Further to my woes of last October, at 6800 miles my Polo started to display that it required a service, this was in November. I spoke to my dealer who started that the service indicator hadn't been reset before delivery to myself as the car had left the factory in November 2014. I was advised to ignore until nearer the 10000 mile mark when the service was actually due.

Shortly after Christmas, I started to notice that the car was turning over erratically when using stop/start. Then two weeks ago the car refused to start after shutting down. After 6 attempts it started. I was fuming. Following heated emails and a visit to my dealer the car went into the workshops last Monday. A technician took the car for a drive and failed to start several times, so at least he experienced the problem.

I was given a replacement Up! and later in the week a Polo SEL DSG as courtesy cars, the later for a trip to Gloucestershire.

After a investigation, it was discovered that my Polo had a defective flywheel!!! So along with the service and service indicator rest, I have had a new flywheel, clutch, thrust bearings and driveshaft, along with a lighting ECU to cure my interior light issue. A grand total of £1952 of warranty work on a 11 month old car.

I still believe my car is jinxed although it feels good as new.

Whilst the car was in bits, I spoke to a Skoda salesman having stated I was interested in going back to Skoda. He stated that my car was currently in negative equity and needed to wait about 6 months before I was able to trade the Polo in without owing money.

The salesman who sold me the Polo also stated that he would do me a "silly deal on a Golf" to keep me sweet for all the hassle that my current car has caused me. However at the moment I have no intention of buying another Volkswagen as this car has been the least reliable car I have owned since a Citroen BX with suspension problems in the mid 90s!

That's what you get for buying an African car!

Yup, RHD Polos are built in South Africa.  I had a '54 plate one which wasn't bad, just not as well built as the Fabia I had before (or the Roomster which followed it).

Well took deliver for a new octavia mk3 at the 2014 november. Took off from the dealer. And immideatly noticed that the steering wheel is out of alignment. Was way to the left. The car did not pull to left or right tho. Dealer did a wheel alignment. 3 months later got into accident. Luckyl everybody were fine. But the hit come from left front corner. Resulting 4 new airbags, new dashboard, new seatbelts, new headlamps, new pumper, new wing and other stuff. Total cost of repair was 14000 euros. Wasnt a writeoff sadly. Did trade info for new Golf SV which i have currently. Second day into the ownership all kinds of errors popped up. Turns out to be Steering rack fault. Was replaced under warranty on the first month of the ownership. Last saturday lost the power steering on the motorway while doing 110km/h when taking over a car. 

Me and steering wheels ay :D Call it a jinx or a bad luck :D

Yes.

I had a bright orange transit that was totally invisible to everyone on the road. It had been written off once before I got it and again in my ownership. Wherever I went, people couldn't help pulling out in front of it.

My mate's old company Golf was magnetic. It got driven into at least 3 times in the four years he had it.