Sunroof?

I'm looking at a change of car for 2016, all my driving life (30+ years) I've had an opening sunroof and do not want to do without such feature on my next car. (Tilt / slide). It's not the light but the air, even on a mild day I will tilt open the roof, especially in town. I've seen Webasto offer aftermarket sunroofs and am considering such option. (It's a pity, a factory order sunroof is available on the Octavia, and used to be an option on the former Fabia).

Has anyone fitted a sunroof to their Rapid? If so which one, how did you get on, are you happy with it?  

Any comments good / bad / indifferent will be much welcome.  

Thank you

(PS I realise the Spaceback version with the glass roof is not suitable for an aftermarket opening sunroof)

I wouldn't personal get a sunroof but I have know people get the retro fitted. Again not my thing although my eldest likes the full size roof in my parents quashqui but that doesn't open!

I think I've only ever had one sunroof that didn't leak (in the AX)

Metro leaked, Renault did, Sierra did a lot,so did Proton, Multipla had 2 notoriously leaky roofs.

I wouldn't choose to have one again myself.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Amazed how so many people complain about leaky sunroofs still? I had 2 Hyundai Coupes that both had sunroofs and both worked flawlessly the whole time I had the cars and never ever leaked a single drop? If Hyundai could get it right back then why havent everybody else?

Amazed how so many people complain about leaky sunroofs still? I had 2 Hyundai Coupes that both had sunroofs and both worked flawlessly the whole time I had the cars and never ever leaked a single drop? If Hyundai could get it right back then why havent everybody else?

Have you ever had an old car with a sunroof?

The rubbers get brittle and they're fine if left shut, but open it just once and it doesn't seal properly again - before you know it there's water pouring through the courtesy lights :)

Edited by camelspyyder

I find that factory-fitted sunroofs are usually OK, it's the aftermarket fit ones (particularly the pop-up variety) that usually start leaking like a government spin doctor.

My Peugeot 106 had a factory-fit pop-up sunroof, it was absolutely brilliant and never leaked once in the 5 years I owned it. My mum had two Austin Meastros, both with factory fit wind-back slide and tilt sun roofs - both also leak free (and she had the second Meastro for 10 years).

However, my mum had a pop-up roof fitted to a new Metro by the dealership (was a dealer special edition), that damn thing leaked like it wasn't even closed from day 1. Multiple attempts to adjust, modify and replace it couldn't fix it. Same with a Fiesta we had with an aftermarket pop-up roof.

No problem with any of the three Skoda sunroofs or the one in my fiat.

I'd hate to be without one now, but aftermarket ones seem like a bad idea. Just buy a car with a factory one instead.

It is a shame that so many car makers have stopped offering them as a factory option, offering panoramic glass roofs instead.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Have you ever had an old car with a sunroof?

The rubbers get brittle and they're fine if left shut, but open it just once and it doesn't seal properly again - before you know it there's water pouring through the courtesy lights :)

I just put vaseline on the rubbers every 6 months or so?