1.2 tsi 105 "growling" noise

hi all, i have noticed that at just over 2k revs, there is a growling noise from the engine. to me it sounds exactly like induction noise and reminds me of my youth when you used to drill holes in the airbox or fit k&n filters.... (grown out of that now thankfully)

has anybody else got the same noise meaning it is just a trait of the engine? It is really annoying me as at 75ish on the motorway 6th gear sits right in the noisy rev range.

I must add that I have had the airbox apart and rebuilt just in case something was loose....

Also, I have came from the 86 BHP version which was so quiet, strange as I thought it had the same components just different engine maps for more power?

Thanks

I concur - my 105 1.2 is very quiet (definitely one of its plus points), with no out of place growling noises at motorway speeds.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• 1 year later...

Hi!

I've got the same engine in my Seat Toledo and I can hear the same above around 2000 rpm.

Have you got yours sorted out/looked at?

My colleague's dad's got a VW Polo with the newer version with 90 bhp, he test drove mine and said that it sounds different from his dads.

They do sound different. They are different engines.

The new motor has 16 valves and belts, not 8 and chains.  In my experience the new 16v drones at low revs, the 8v 105 is the smoothest engine I've ever owned.

Edited by camelspyyder

Ok, thanks!

Are you happy with yours then?

I've only had mine for a few weeks.

So far so good.

I've always had diesels, this my first petrol car, but I like it.

The gearbox is really good too.

Mine's the same as yours a 1.2/105, and the engine is the quietest bit of the car.

Just passed it's first MOT. 31000 on the original Conti rubber. Yeah I'm still happy with it. :)

Edited by camelspyyder

?

Is that same tyres @ 31,000 miles but a New Turbo @ 26,000 miles?

How much would the Turbo have cost if not paid for under Warranty?

That's the truth.

I don't think the turbo enjoyed being parked up for a total of 12 months (5 and then 7) over a 2 year period, with SWMBO not exercising it as often as she'd promised.

No-one else on the Rapid forum has reported an early death of their turbo AFAIK.