7 Degrees this morning: Got your WINTERS on yet?

Chan110

Last pair of All seasons put on today, now fully prepared for next week's predicted weather.  

Will make sure the antifreeze is up to strength,  screen wash dozed up etc.

Climate change still a not a proven issue deny'ers?  

Edited by lol-lol

Damn snowgates are closed on the Cairn o' Mount so need to do an extra 40 miles and the weather is a wee bit wild.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Last pair of All seasons put on today, now fully prepared for next week's predicted weather.

Will make sure the antifreeze is up to strength, screen wash dozed up etc.

Climate change still a not a proving issue deny'ers?

Should do when the snow hits towards the end of the week.

I imagine ill be seeing cars get smaller in the mirrors again as the road turns uphill.

Damn snowgates are closed on the Cairn o' Mount so need to do an extra 40 miles and the weather is a wee bit wild.

I just checked the webcam of the snowgates, its hardly any snow, so why close it? Much worse further up or just a precaution?

The gates were not closed because the snow is at the gates, the snow is up the hills.

http://trafficscotland.org

Why the road gets closed on occasions when it is not even that icy or much snow,

to save people from themselves.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Im just used to that when the roads close, its mostly because of blizzards not snow alone.

I did enter a closed Mountain pass in the US once, was stopped by the park ranger half way up. Kinda funny, they closed it just because there was a tiny bit of snow.

First of the road closures around here have happened this evening. Cat and Fiddle and Bosley roads both closed due to water flowing off hills, then turning into ice as they go across the road, as its washing away the grit as soon as its put down.

Winters tyres wouldn't save you from that :D  

Also given 10cm of snow tonight. So it might get fun :) 

First of the road closures around here have happened this evening. Cat and Fiddle and Bosley roads both closed due to water flowing off hills, then turning into ice as they go across the road, as its washing away the grit as soon as its put down.

Winters tyres wouldn't save you from that :D

On those conditions only studded tyres works. And even with those, its slippery as h***.

• Like 1

On those conditions only studded tyres works. And even with those, its slippery as h***.

haha yeah!

I have to agree with their decision to close the road. Defo saved a big pile of cars in fields just off the first corner. 

haha yeah!

I have to agree with their decision to close the road. Defo saved a big pile of cars in fields just off the first corner.

Yeah, it does seem like the right call to close it down.

Its not very fun to drive when its like that.

• Like 1

Was quite excited last night, the BBC online forecast had shown 12hrs of heavy snow for Buxton, starting around midnight.

Passed through Buxton around 6:20 this morning and...sod all snow on the road. A tiny bit on A5004 Long Hill but that was it.

Was quite excited last night, the BBC online forecast had shown 12hrs of heavy snow for Buxton, starting around midnight.Passed through Buxton around 6:20 this morning and...sod all snow on the road. A tiny bit on A5004 Long Hill but that was it.

Metoffice, accuweather, rubbish forecasting.

English weather too close to chaos maritime model.

Better to concentrate on realtime events ie is it icing, snowing here, there.

Edited by lol-lol

Was quite excited last night, the BBC online forecast had shown 12hrs of heavy snow for Buxton, starting around midnight.

Passed through Buxton around 6:20 this morning and...sod all snow on the road. A tiny bit on A5004 Long Hill but that was it.

I know yeah. I was quite disapointed when i got up this morning.

Theres a good local weather site i use which id also confused but is looking into why we didnt get much.

It may be because it went a tad milder last evening and rained/sleeted alot. Maybe made it hard for the snow to settle.

Theres apparently 6 inches on the cat n fiddle, but its closed.

was expecting snow here as well but nothing...   only  abit of ice.  Can see what appears to be a dusting of snow on the other side of the valley though up at Ringinglow...

• Like 1

Is that buxtonweather.co.uk ?

I've emailed him a few early morning road updates before now.

I do use that one, but he doesnt forecast weather himself. Uses the met office iirc.

'Buxton Weather Watch' on Facebook is a good one i find (:

• Like 1

was expecting snow here as well but nothing... only abit of ice. Can see what appears to be a dusting of snow on the other side of the valley though up at Ringinglow...

Disapointing, isnt it?

I can see snow on the hills.

It hasnt stopped em crashing though. Police car through a wall, claiming water across the road had washed away grit.

However a local farming on the road saying he hadnt seen a gritter yesterday at all.

Woops...

Edited by fabiamk2SE

There was actually a piece about the cross climate tyres, that many of you have discussed, in the newspaper today.

They were called the perfect summertyre for nordic conditions because they could be used later in the autumn and earlier in the spring compared to regular summertyres :)

Im thinking about trying them out when my summers are worn out.

Edited by Gromle

There was actually a piece about the cross climate tyres, that many of you have discussed, in the newspaper today.

They were called the perfect summertyre for nordic conditions because they could be used later in the autumn and earlier in the spring compared to regular summertyres :)   Im thinking about trying them out when my summers are worn out.

Some of the Emergency Services in the UK use All Season / Cross climate tyres all year round now.  My All Seasons are V rated, where I struggled to find V rated Winters, they are not noisy, they are not that bad for EU fuel consumption rating and the difference between them and an excellent summer tyre like Michelin Pilot/Super Sports is acceptably.  Probably if I was living in Spain I would use summer tyres where the temperature spends a lot of time around 25, 30, 35 C  but in Northern Europe All Season tyres are great all year round in our cool and wet climate.

Looks like most of the UK is finally getting its snow tomorrow with a big icy finger of it coming down the centre of England ! 

Edited by lol-lol

Some of the Emergency Services in the UK use All Season / Cross climate tyres all year round now. My All Seasons are V rated, where I struggled to find V rated Winters, they are not noisy, they are not that bad for EU fuel consumption rating and the difference between them and an excellent summer tyre like Michelin Pilot/Super Sports is acceptably. Probably if I was living in Spain I would use summer tyres where the temperature spends a lot of time around 25, 30, 35 C but in Northern Europe All Season tyres are great all year round in our cool and wet climate.

Looks like most of the UK is finally getting its snow tomorrow with a big icy finger of it coming down the centre of England !

I wouldnt run all climates all year round up here, but I can see how it would be a great idea in warmer climates.

But I think they would perfectly in late autumn for me.

The first snow usually make its appearance in October, but melts just as fast. And its not ideal running studded tyres from October untill the real winter kicks in. But summers arent really an option either, so cross climates should do the trick.

Why are people so quick to blame the Council for not gritting? It's quite simple, just assume no roads are gritted. If you crash by yourself on an icy road there is only one person to blame, you.

Drive to the conditions. If it's close to freezing slow down. If the display on the car shows it's close to freezing slow down, if you have to clear frost from the windscreen slow down, if there is frost on the verges slow down.

You get the idea.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

Seen in the Auto Express 2015 test the new Nokian Weatherproof outperformed the dedicated winter tyre on Snow and Deep Water.

Both Michelin and Nokian are claiming their new tyres are not All Seasons which typically have some of the tyre with winter tread and some with summer tread.

Michelin say the Cross Climates are a Summer Tyre that performs well in winter and has achieved 3PMSF accreditation and seams to perform as well as an all season on snow.

Nokian say the Weatherproof are a Winter tyre that performs as a winter tyre on snow and ice but remains stable even in high temperatures on dry roads and can be used all year.

Two new tyres that are very interesting. I'm going to try a set on the Octavia, not sure which yet.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/92863/all-season-tyres-test-2015-top-all-weather-tyres-tested#

Lee

Edited by logiclee