VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

I have had the letter for several weeks now but, as other members have said, if the car is running sweetly now why should I have modifications done to the software which do not give any benefits or could possibly jepodise the performance and/or economy of the car.

If and when there is concrete proof to confirm that this mod has NO detrimental effect to the car I may consider having it done.............until then, NO THANKS.

P.S. I am all for a better and cleaner environment but if reports on increased fuel usage since having the mod done are true how can using more fuel possibly constitute to less emissions ...or am I being thick?

Edited by jt57
  • Like 1

... how can using more fuel possibly constitute to less emissions ...or am I being thick?

There are different types of emissions, not all of which are increased by using more fuel.

One of the features of highly efficient diesel engines is that very high peak combustion temperatures occur, which tend to burn the nitrogen in the air, as well as the fuel, forming nitrogen oxides (NOx). Some of these are quite poisonous and do humans harm if local concentrations build up, for instance in large cities.  If you compromise that efficiency by using high rates of exhaust gas recirculation (which actually reduces these peak temps, strange though that seems), the NOx output reduces. 

Those high combustion temperatures are very good for engine efficiency, which means the car uses less fuel than if they were lower.  That translates directly to less carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, which seems likely to be good news for the long-term future of humans on this planet.

So you can have an engine that makes a lot of NOgases but not as much CO2, or you can have an engine that makes less NOx but more CO2.  Even saving a small amount of fuel (and so CO2) may make dramatic, disproportionate effects on the amount of NOx produced, if, for instance you do it by switching off or turning down the EGR system when no-one's looking.

Most of VW's customers probably care more about CO2, not because they are tree-huggers, but because it means they spend less on fuel (and VED or equivalents abroad).  So VW attempted to optimise for low CO2, rather than low NOx, whilst pretending they'd managed both.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've just received yet another letter from Skoda UK today (17/10/16) that tells me nothing. Basically "We've not forgotten you" & something might get done in Jan next year. My Rapid is running perfectly (touch wood!) at the moment but will need the new part fitting, the question is, do I have it done?

• Like 1

I've just received yet another letter from Skoda UK today (17/10/16) that tells me nothing. Basically "We've not forgotten you" & something might get done in Jan next year. My Rapid is running perfectly (touch wood!) at the moment but will need the new part fitting, the question is, do I have it done?

It is up to you

Why did VAG do the cheat, If the fix is so good why didn't they do it in the first place

Something has to be worse (Performance, Economy or Reliability)

I'm not getting mine done

• Like 1

I had another letter too basically saying the same as the previous ones. I'm not wanting it done straight away as I want to see what we see with cars that have had it done in a years time. As far as I know you only have the choice to have the work done or refuse, no option to delay at the moment. 

I got another letter yesterday (Third one in total) This time saying pretty much that a fix had still not been fully sorted and that they hoped it wouldn't be too much longer..... This to me sounded like it was aimed at the 1.6 owners but mine is a 2.0 CR140 that supposedly only needs the software update!!!! And it said this on the letter so god knows what's happening with it all.

Have they found something with the supposed "easy" software update????

I also never received a letter earlier this year to say my car could have the software update which plenty of others seem to have received etc.....

To be honest I'm still not bothered about having it done unless something forces me to do so.

Got a new letter the other day which basically said nothing. Watch this space and nothing happening at the moment.

I'm totally bored with this whole thing! I'll probably have sold the Yeti before anything changes.

I got another letter yesterday (Third one in total) This time saying pretty much that a fix had still not been fully sorted and that they hoped it wouldn't be too much longer..... This to me sounded like it was aimed at the 1.6 owners but mine is a 2.0 CR140 that supposedly only needs the software update!!!! And it said this on the letter so god knows what's happening with it all.

Have they found something with the supposed "easy" software update????

I also never received a letter earlier this year to say my car could have the software update which plenty of others seem to have received etc.....

To be honest I'm still not bothered about having it done unless something forces me to do so.

I'm intrigued by wavey Davey's comments. I have a superb 2.0 TDI cr march 2015 which had its software update in July after my letter confirmed an update was ready. Since update, engine rattles like diesel clatter around 1500 revs. Problem seems well documented issue with tiguans. Dealer tested car for a week and Skoda said it was OK. But I know it's not. Skoda's handling of this is appalling. They destroy the refinement of my engine with the update but just don't seem interested. Some tiguan owners seem to have another update but Skoda hg technical team seem to have no clue about this. All incredibly frustrating.

I'm intrigued by wavey Davey's comments. I have a superb 2.0 TDI cr march 2015 which had its software update in July after my letter confirmed an update was ready. Since update, engine rattles like diesel clatter around 1500 revs. Problem seems well documented issue with tiguans. Dealer tested car for a week and Skoda said it was OK. But I know it's not. Skoda's handling of this is appalling. They destroy the refinement of my engine with the update but just don't seem interested. Some tiguan owners seem to have another update but Skoda hg technical team seem to have no clue about this. All incredibly frustrating.

It's all in your imagination. If they say it's OK and treat you like a turd then get an independent test and take legal action.

I won't be getting the update and personally won't touch another VAG car again. It has been the worst car I've had for build quality and I've never had such shocking service before from any dealer. Back to Ford or BMW for me which are leagues ahead in all areas.

My Yeti has been the best car I have owned for reliability. Far better than the various Porsches, BMWs or VWs.

Lacks a lot in looks/desirability stakes and my wife hates it so got to change it for something else she likes the look of!!

I have to say I'm really surprised that people are reporting worse running as my understanding was all the software update did was remove the bit that detected when the car was being tested and then go into test mode. So unless you drive like the test mode and the car is going into the test mode there should be no difference.

Edited by wja96

That ls what happens as people 'understand' from the lack of clear information given by the Volkswagen Group.

The Defeat Device present in the Engine Management had to be removed.

The Remap they had to design appears to not just be changing the Engine Management as it was to be manipulated under EU testing or US Smog testing.

Time will tell because obviously as VW eventually had The Fix Approved gor the 2.0 & the 1.2 the 1.6 is more problematic to 'Just remove the Defeat Device.'

I recently had a letter updating me on progress, which is the first communication I've had since buying our Toledo 1.6 TDI at the beginning of August. Contacted Seat stating I'd prefer not to have the modification done and they have subsequently phoned to say it's not mandatory and reassured me that the warranty would not be effected by refusing the update.

They also said that they will make a note on the system which should stop future letters but if not to ignore them which I will.

TP

I have to say I'm really surprised that people are reporting worse running as my understanding was all the software update did was remove the bit that detected when the car was being tested and then go into test mode. So unless you drive like the test mode and the car is going into the test mode there should be no difference.

The rework has to do two things:

1) Remove the cheat.

2) Reduce the emissions down to a level they should have been all the time, and not just when the car was in cheat mode.

Remember that the cheat was designed to mislead us into thinking the car was polluting less than it actually was.

Removing the cheat is one thing, but the car is still polluting more than it should be, so it is more than simply altering the software to remove the cheat mode.

On the 2.0 engine only a remap is required, the 1.6 requires additional hardware.

The issue with the 2.0 remap is that if it was as simple as VAG are telling us then they would have done it from day one and wouldn't have needed the cheat mode at all.

There has to be a compromise for the car to now be polluting less. Increased fuel consumption, less power, shorter engine life. Who knows. I suspect the latter as it will be all but impossible to prove.

• Like 1

Letter arrived today to advise that the software fix for my YETI has now been released and I should contact the garage to get it installed asap. Not sure what to do now. It states that:

"There will be no change to your vehicles engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged"

and...

"There will be no change to the service life of the engine and its components. To achieve this we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured"

I wonder if all they have done is remove the 'cheat' bit of the software and left the rest alone?

Letter arrived today to advise that the software fix for my YETI has now been released and I should contact the garage to get it installed asap. Not sure what to do now. It states that:

"There will be no change to your vehicles engine performance, maximum torque or noise levels. The performance data already published for your vehicle, including fuel consumption values and CO2 emissions, will also remain unchanged"

and...

"There will be no change to the service life of the engine and its components. To achieve this we are using advances in diesel combustion technology which were not available at the time your vehicle was manufactured"

I wonder if all they have done is remove the 'cheat' bit of the software and left the rest alone?

.............and why would you believe a word of this nonsense?

• Like 2

A PR machine generated letter, no more no less.

"Advances in diesel combustion technology". Really, with no hardware replaced or fitted, purely remapping the cars software?

I don't buy it. With no new parts fitted then something has to be traded off.

At the end of the day ask yourself the question, what do I have to gain?

You might sleep better at night knowing your car is polluting less.

Some people have reported an increase in fuel economy.

Then think what you might have to lose...

A car that drives differently than before.

A car that consumes more fuel.

An engine that has a shorter life.

An engine with reduced power output.

For me the con's far outweigh the potential pro's.

Save yourself the hassle, recycle the letters and ask that the rework is not done each time the car visits a main dealer (or sign the letter).

When my Superb reaches the end of its life and I embark on the hunt for a replacement I'll only consider VAG cars that have not been reworked.

Remember the rework can be carried out at any time. It can however not be undone. If when selling the car the new owner can happily go have the work carried out free of charge at their convenience.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had further communication from VAG's Seat devision, this time a rather long winded e-mail and while they again confirm the update is not mandatory, they are now advising the work is carried out when its released for our 1.6 TDI, citing the advances in technology since my car was built; a not so distant 20 months ago.

Sorry VAG but the answer is still no thank you; best left as designed in the first place; albeit illegally and not butched about to force it to conform to emmison standards it was not intended to achive.

TP

Why would VAG actually want anyone to make the update? Isn't it an extra cost for them?

I mean, yes, they are obliged by court decisions and the like to provide an update and inform the affected owners of it, but why would they insist on it?

Why would VAG actually want anyone to make the update? Isn't it an extra cost for them?

I mean, yes, they are obliged by court decisions and the like to provide an update and inform the affected owners of it, but why would they insist on it?

Simply so they can say they have rectified the problem. No cheating software then no compensation which would be much more expensive.