VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

Simply so they can say they have rectified the problem. No cheating software then no compensation which would be much more expensive. 

If we suppose that the update really rectifies the problem without any trade off, then VAG can succesfully argue that there is no need to compensate a customer that has denied the update, so no need insist on it.

If we suppose that the update does not really rectify the problem or there are serious trade offs (mentioned above), then VAG cannot escape giving compensation, so no need to insist on the update either.

In any case I will deny the update if I'm given the choice. I don't believe we 'll ever get any compensation for the cheat, but I don't want them to mess with a nice working (albeit non emission-conforming) engine.

• Like 1

I won't be accepting the update either, I have no trust in VAG and have been fairly disappointed with my Skoda experience so far. I will just offload the car and go back to Ford or BMW

What is the consensus of opinion here, for....

Changing to petrol..

Or changing for a new cleaner Diesel?? (if thats possible)

Just thinking about the new year.

We were toying with the idea to change & have been looking at the new Volvo V40XC

This is almost the same price (discounted) as the new Yeti Euro6.

We even sat in a Volvo V40xc yesterday, & thought it very nice. 

It too has the diesel but uses an additive via a small tank next to the fuel tank. This injects the additive when you fill up.

The Diesel emissions are lower than Petrol @89 where petrol is 127. With Diesel Zero road tax, untill April 2017 when all VED is changed..

What is the consensus of opinion here, for....

Changing to petrol..

Or changing for a new cleaner Diesel?? (if thats possible)

All the  news says authorities will either ban or charge  for diesels to enter towns or cities, Khan  intends to charge  for  use inside the North and South Circulars, which would then  encompass best part of London, The writing is on the wall for diesel and I am told no development on diesel engines will go beyond 2020, which is not far away.  So even if diesel can be used  it will increasingly become more restricted and costly, thereby reducing greatly the value of the vehicle, if It could be sold at all.. And no doubt the duty on diesel fuel will be increased. IF I change it will be to petrol but as my diesel has only done 17k miles, is there much point, I may as well run it till for one reason or another, it is no longer  viable. Osborne said RFL would not be increased  beyond the current levels for existing vehicles, so that is one less imponderable? Unless Corbyn comes along and swipes us all off the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Living over in Germany, I too have just received the dreaded letter. To be honest, I have always discussed the situation with my local excellent Skoda dealer, who has explained everything to me regarding which engines, the process and what will happen after.

At the moment there is no legal requirement for the software update, however, before you sell it on the next purchaser or dealer will want to have it sorted before they undertake the sale. Furthermore, the Government may, if the uptake for change is low, make it compulsory  or have your car registration revoked!

As VW ( and family ) are updating per sales volume of cars sold, i.e. Amoroks first, Golfs last, then when they come around to the massive sales of the most popular models they will then meet the wall of legal claims.

All the business sales of Octavias, Passats plus the Polo(3 cylinder diesel models)  and Golfs will have fleet managers howling at the differences between each and every car with mostly increased costs to their company. In Germany, the wait will come to the crunch when middle managers and bosses with their high end Audi`s will think about jumping ship to Merc and BMW.

Brand loyalty only stretches so far even in Germany!

Hi All,

my letter says that the update for my Octavia VRS will be available early in 2017!!  So the date keeps moving.  Skoda support told me in July that the fix was due in Q3 this year and so my service in December should be a good time to have the fix done.  Now it has moved again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi All,

my letter says that the update for my Octavia VRS will be available early in 2017!!  So the date keeps moving.  Skoda support told me in July that the fix was due in Q3 this year and so my service in December should be a good time to have the fix done.  Now it has moved again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which can only mean they haven't yet been able to effectively solve the problem.

Hi All,

My wife's Octavia vRS was done last week while in for a service.

Hadn't had a letter so was surprised when they said it was available.

I drove it and didn't notice a difference..... she did however say she thought it felt a bit more sluggish/heavier on the motorway.

Jury is out.....

• 2 weeks later...

I got a letter today, complete with DVLA badges on the envelope and the bottom of the letter, saying that they are ready with the fix for my car and should either contact my local dealer or use the SEAT website to find an alternative :D

post-17026-0-95019100-1481566231_thumb.jpg

Just had my update ready letter today.

Came here to see what the latest thoughts were - This link very interesting!! also the comments echo the issue, dated October and November 2016 too.

So reading the letter - 'max torque' not affected - mmmm gets you thinking - what about the full torque curve!

But I had mine mapped during summer as I gave up waiting for the fix - So no fix for me thanks, will have to refuse it.

Yep, got mine too though I'm in no rush to waste my time taking it to the dealer to fix something that shouldn't have happened in the first place as I've got better things to do. Maybe next October when the next service is due.....

had the same letter today

performance and economy will remain the same

what about long term reliability?

what about the trust issue? I don't trust them. Although a £500 goodwill gesture would sort that but can't see that happening

What I find surprising is there have been  no posts made by persons who have had their  engines  dealt with by V A G  and what the results have been.  So far I have not had mine done bearing in mind the FEW comments that have been made on this and a similar thread eg that the changes have been detrimental ( lack of power low down rev  band) 

There are posts in the Yeti, Octavia MK2 & Superb Mk2 Section from members with 2.0TDI's saying they notice no difference after 'The Fix'.

Some posts saying they are getting back onto the Dealership that did The Fix or Skoda UK because they are not happy with Post Fix.

Not read any from members with 1.2TDI that have had The Fix, or anyone that has had a 1.6TDI done.

Edited by Offski

I had my 3rd letter today pointing out I have not had my car done and that so far  265,000 persons ( pres. in UK ) have and that independent  testing authorities have confirmed there will no negative  impact  on engine performance, max torque, fuel consumption, noise and CO2 emissions.  I note the  wording does not say "have been  " , or  effects at lower torque  but  no change to CO2 emissions, which I thought was the whole point of the exercise?   So for the time being, I will sit tight. And not as though one is hearing anything from the lawyers supposedly acting on some of our behalves?.

They are very much having squeaky bum moments on changes to Co2 since that is what VED in the UK is decided on.

& the VW Group assured Governments they would make up the costs of lost revenue & owners would suffer no losses.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-38247779

We will see just what the DfT / DVSA / UK Government have to do now if the EU Commission have them in the Courts along with 6 other Governments for inaction.

Edited by Offski

I found this very odd from the EU in that they are wanting individual governments to take action but dealt with other such big companies like Microsoft directly. After all the emission targets were set by EU legislation i.e. Euro 3, 4, 5 etc.   

Dieselgate is all about NOX emissions not CO2:)

So why V A G ( Skoda ) not mention any changes to NOx emissions, which  is the whole point of the exercise. Does their silence not suggest there is no improvement and the whole exercise a  " front ".?

So why V A G ( Skoda ) not mention any changes to NOx emissions, which  is the whole point of the exercise. Does their silence not suggest there is no improvement and the whole exercise a  " front ".?

I think it's implied by the first line of the letter. I haven't got mine to hand but at least the one posted by Wet Kipper says: "It's time for your vehicle to have it's EA 189 NOx emissions service action applied".

While no figures have been given, the cars should now meet the requirements of the NEDC standard without changing behaviour when the NEDC test is performed.

Hi All,

Seems that  Stevoraith has had his VRS done, but last week when my car was serviced, I was shown the Skoda screen saying my VRS was still awaiting.  Funny what is going on!!  Also not happy re the posts re low down torque and clatter!!  I had my turbo actuator go and I must say that low down torque has come back.  Seems my TA was going for a while.  So if anyone else has the problem get the TA looked at.  So any "fix" that effects this will be a no no to me,

Had my VRS serviced on Tuesday and when I enquired about the update was told it would be in the New Year as they were doing it by engine size. Could be dealer specific on how they process the updates.

Got my letter for 09 CR vRS LE the other day, the way i see it is there are a lot more guinea pigs in queue ahead of me!  I think i will stand back and hear what other people think of the mod.

I think it's implied by the first line of the letter. I haven't got mine to hand but at least the one posted by Wet Kipper says: "It's time for your vehicle to have it's EA 189 NOx emissions service action applied".

While no figures have been given, the cars should now meet the requirements of the NEDC standard without changing behaviour when the NEDC test is performed.

Thanks Langers but I must say I am not taken with IMPLICATIONS especially when statements are made re other aspects  which supposedly have not been adversely affected and in which NOx are not mentioned, despite being the main purpose of the exercise. I remain sceptical and non compliant at  the present time.