VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

Thanks Langers but I must say I am not taken with IMPLICATIONS especially when statements are made re other aspects  which supposedly have not been adversely affected and in which NOx are not mentioned, despite being the main purpose of the exercise. I remain sceptical and non compliant at  the present time.

The sole purpose of the update is to address concerns about NOx levels being artificially low during the test cycle. At the very least the update will need to address this issue otherwise the regulators wouldn't approve the fix.

From the information I've seen online:

- the maximum torque and power haven't changed

- the torque curve has changed so the initial torque is higher in the rev range

- I've not seen any objective proof that MPG has changed, most reports seem to be within an expected tolerance

There is very little information about:

- EGR or DPF usage pre/post fix

- CO2 output, probably as most lack the equipment to measure it

- part throttle usage

Just to be clear, I'm certainly not suggesting you have the fix done. I just wanted to correct your misconception that the EA189 issue was anything to do with CO2 output.

There is a separate CO2 emissions issue but to my knowledge that doesn't effect EA189 engine. Instead, it's a limited set of engines designed for Euro 6 regulations, I'm sure there is a separate topic somewhere for it :)

Personally, I intend to avoid the update and if my car is updated I'll probably rollback to the current software version.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I have been reading more about the topic on the Audi like web site.  One guy had his car dyno'ed and he found the following - see this web link:  1drv.ms/b/s!AvcWk_HHJ7e2lSKCPGtHBV19b90L  Also Audi seemed to deny that anything was wrong.  Lots about EGR needing replacement and as Audi say the fix makes more use of the EGR system so hence!!!!!!!!  All this is on the Honest John web site re EA189!!

• Like 1

What is the consensus of opinion here, for....

Changing to petrol..

Or changing for a new cleaner Diesel?? (if thats possible)

Just thinking about the new year.

We were toying with the idea to change & have been looking at the new Volvo V40XC

This is almost the same price (discounted) as the new Yeti Euro6.

We even sat in a Volvo V40xc yesterday, & thought it very nice. 

It too has the diesel but uses an additive via a small tank next to the fuel tank. This injects the additive when you fill up.

The Diesel emissions are lower than Petrol @89 where petrol is 127. With Diesel Zero road tax, untill April 2017 when all VED is changed..

Bit late picking up on this post, however we've had our V40XC more more than 18 months now and it's proved to be an excellent motor and in most areas a step up from previous Yeti's. Ours is powered by the now withdrawn EU5 Ford/PSA 1.6TD D2 which feel more like a 2 ltr in terms of performance and as a bonus its zero road tax.

Would recommend anybody considering one should lookout for nearly new ex Volvo UK management cars, as many have the 'big ticket' options specified.

TP

I'm looking for a replacement for the Octavia as it's not been a pleasant ownership experience to date and the emission scandal has just made it worse. Didn't really want to shopping for another car so soon but each day I hate the car more. At least I can cross the VAG range of cars off the list.

That could explain why some people report no difference - if you drive gently you'll be in the rev range where there's a big drop in torque, but those who use the top half will be unaffected.

Isn't it the other way round with those driving below 2500rpm seeing the biggest drop in power and those that race everywhere (above 2000rpm) seeing little difference. I know driving my brother car it was lacking at lower engine speeds compared to mine which hasn't been updated. Shame he bought his for towing a caravan which is going to harder work now. 

Well I mentioned to my son who is a mechanic and works now on German marques and he said do not take up their offer on the update, his boss is a highly regarded engineer and has worked on German vehicles for over 40 years,if he says don't do it then I will take heed of his professional advice

Isn't it the other way round with those driving below 2500rpm seeing the biggest drop in power and those that race everywhere (above 2000rpm) seeing little difference. I know driving my brother car it was lacking at lower engine speeds compared to mine which hasn't been updated. Shame he bought his for towing a caravan which is going to harder work now. 

Isn't that what I said?

• Like 1

What have they complied to, removing defeat devices from the Engine Management Systems in vehicles and compensating some Governments around the world while 

Buying Back Vehicles and giving Compensation in the United States of America and paying big fines there.

The Court Case is going to be about Compensating Owners in Germany which is not in the USA obviously.

If no compensation is required as nobody lost anything then really why even try for getting any.

VW seem happy paying Fines and doing deals and lawyers are the ones benefiting greatly as are the Media / Spin Companies that VW seem to use to deflect the real story 

by filling the press of 'Good News Stories' on VW's Electric Vehicle plans etc.

Today so that 'Court Test Case' stories go down the pages of a google search there will likely be a 'New VW super dooper car sometime'. story.

• Like 1

We know that the fix is a fudge whilst technically maintaining the peak power and torque the curve characteristics have created a weaker engine that requires more revs and hence fuel to get the same output as before the update. The courts will only hear that VAG have maintained these peak readings and the new map is more environmentally friendly, we the claimants will be made out to the bad guys for wanting what we had before which is bad for the environment.

In the lower courts the case may have some success but it will be appealed up into the higher courts which are in the pockets of the EU who are in turn in the pockets of big business. The same old status quo with the consumer sucking it up. The only way to make change is for the consumer to give the finger to VAG and its subsidiaries which will flood the market with unwanted cars pushing down their value which in turn affects the brand and makes them more expensive to lease with lower residuals and future sales.

People are unlikely to go this route as they don't want to suffer the financial hit but they will anyway as no one wants to buy a second hand car 2.0 ltr diesel that performs like 1.0 petrol. They will just buy Ford, BMW, Volvo etc which will increase their demand and residuals. It's very short sighted of VAG but so long as they don't have to take the hit (which in Europe will be huge compared to America due to the volume of cars) then they pull their pants down and dump on their buyers again. Affected VAG cars of the future will become very cheap compared to the competition. All the hard work to build the Skoda brand from what it was will be gone and it will be back to being a joke again.        

CWARD - your comments seems spot on to me.  I think I may now register with the firm of solicitors who are in for a class action case and see.  I think it is a no win no fee!

I've solved mine by part-ex the car, pick up the new motor tomorrow. Was going to buy a new car but the drop in price on the Octavia in the 18 months I've had was nearly £4,000 from book to book price so have had to go second hand as I lost most of the equity I put it into it when I bought it. 

CWARD - your comments seems spot on to me.  I think I may now register with the firm of solicitors who are in for a class action case and see.  I think it is a no win no fee!

I've solved mine by part-ex the car, pick up the new motor tomorrow. Was going to buy a new car but the drop in price on the Octavia in the 18 months I've had was nearly £4,000 from book to book price so have had to go second hand as I lost most of the equity I put it into it when I bought it. 

Which solicitors do you have in mind, the ones I am lodged with I can't remember their name as I never hear from them!

I wonder if this will shake things up a bit, and put pressure on V A G to compensate UK owners, especially if a diesel scrappage scheme gets introduced. I remember Osborne when Chancellor gave the assurance existing road fund licence fees would stay as were for cars registered before 2017. This article seems to imply otherwise?. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/shirley-rodrigues/air-pollution-london_b_14004980.html

In the UK I'd be surprised if anything happened in regards to compensation, in fact if anything happened other than the update.

Couldn't agree more. No chance of compensation whatsoever and I've heard nothing about a fix for months.

Must admit I have mostly forgotten about the whole thing.

The now available to order Ateca 1.4 tsi with dsg is beginning to look very appealing! Would like a test drive first

so will need to wait a while but that's no problem as the Yeti is still running beautifully.