VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

In the UK I'd be surprised if anything happened in regards to compensation, in fact if anything happened other than the update.

The Uk case goes to court later this month (January 17) and is expected to be concluded next year.  There is already a EU guide case from Spain where the complainant got 5k Euros so British owners should be in line for about £4K for being sold sub standard product not according to advertising and specification.  This should cost VAG about £5B in the UK but basically wipe out their stock value in Europe to cover the full 11 mullion cars.  

VW Market Cap is currently 70B Euros so it would be close run thing.  Hopefully Skoda and SEAT will be sold off to other manufacturers to produce other marques and VW-Audi can sort out their own house in Germany.

Edited by lol-lol

A group of solicitors Harry's Sinclair were named in the papers today, appear to be at the forefront of an action of compensation against VAG for compensation and this was the first time it was stated that in Spain compensation had already been awarded against VAG ,so well done Spain for being quick off the line.

I'm surprised you'd still consider a VAG car after they've shafted you once, shown complete disrespect that you would give the chance to do so again.

I've been extremely pleased with the Yeti, it's done everything I paid for comfortably and reliably. Only shafted if I lose

shedloads of money when I come to sell or partex it because of this issue. Maybe I will and maybe I won't who knows

until I try. Very few motors are an investment and I'm pretty sure I've lost a lot more on many of my previous cars to be

overly concerned about it after over 3 years trouble free motoring with the Yeti. Absolute value for money so far!

Pipmurray, my Skoda experience hasn't been good, dodgy electrics, rattly cabin and cheap fittings, loud road noise in the cabin, squeaky seats, so much condensation inside the car that I've had ice inside the windscreen, well below stated fuel economy, worst dealers I've had the misfortune to meet and then the emissions scandal. Most of these problems seem to common and put up with by the owners. Not the best car I've owned by a long margin. I part ex'd mine last week and lost nearly £4,000 on book price in just 18 months but I'm glad to lose this rather than keep the car. Glad you've had a better experience with your Yeti.

I previously owned a 10 year old Mondeo that suffered none of the problems above in the 8 years I'd owned it, which I now seriously regret selling to buy the Octavia. If there was one saving grace of the Octavia it was the DSG gearbox which I really enjoyed but the car is now gone and I have zero regrets other than buying an Octavia in the first place.

Lol-lol, the figures involved if VAG if it were to compensate the whole of the EU for those affected are enough to make to them insolvent which would have huge repercussions. Whilst the Spanish courts have ruled in favour of a few buyers they are all being appealed by VAG and this where I expect the EU courts to say that they have complied and fixed all the cars as per post #466.

Anyone expecting the UK courts to do something miraculous need only look at Philip Green and BHS to see how effective they are, although he broke no actual laws nor has VAG in the UK as the NOX emissions are regulated by the EU who haven't done anything other than pass the buck to the member states. All that may happen is the tightening of how figures are produced with a standardisation of testing rather than lab tests done by the manufacturers.      

• Like 1

Pipmurray, my Skoda experience hasn't been good, dodgy electrics, rattly cabin and cheap fittings, loud road noise in the cabin, squeaky seats, so much condensation inside the car that I've had ice inside the windscreen, well below stated fuel economy, worst dealers I've had the misfortune to meet and then the emissions scandal. Most of these problems seem to common and put up with by the owners. Not the best car I've owned by a long margin. I part ex'd mine last week and lost nearly £4,000 on book price in just 18 months but I'm glad to lose this rather than keep the car. Glad you've had a better experience with your Yeti.

I previously owned a 10 year old Mondeo that suffered none of the problems above in the 8 years I'd owned it, which I now seriously regret selling to buy the Octavia. If there was one saving grace of the Octavia it was the DSG gearbox which I really enjoyed but the car is now gone and I have zero regrets other than buying an Octavia in the first place.

Lol-lol, the figures involved if VAG if it were to compensate the whole of the EU for those affected are enough to make to them insolvent which would have huge repercussions. Whilst the Spanish courts have ruled in favour of a few buyers they are all being appealed by VAG and this where I expect the EU courts to say that they have complied and fixed all the cars as per post #466.

Anyone expecting the UK courts to do something miraculous need only look at Philip Green and BHS to see how effective they are, although he broke no actual laws nor has VAG in the UK as the NOX emissions are regulated by the EU who haven't done anything other than pass the buck to the member states. All that may happen is the tightening of how figures are produced with a standardisation of testing rather than lab tests done by the manufacturers.      

Very sorry to hear you appear to have had more than anyone's share of bad luck with your Octavia. Sounds like everything that could go wrong did go wrong except for the DSG gearbox, which I have to admit is the one thing I really love across the VAG cars.

Will never go back to a manual. Tried a Qashqai last year and although the auto box was acceptable it was no match for the DSG, and neither was the diesel engine!

Totally agree with all your further comments about compensation. All the complaining about how unfair it is that compensation has or will be paid to the US buyers will do nothing and UK or EU owners will certainly get nothing but a so-called 'fix'. 

When I was looking for a replacement for the Skoda none had better gearboxes without going for premium brands. I also liked the colour too, race blue!

I really wanted to like the Octavia but fell out love with it quickly with the squeaky seat that would be noisy if in my desired and comfortable position but instead had to raise it so it didn't squeak. Then it was the cheap and flimsy interior that started to creak and rattle. The condensation is like nothing I've experienced since a door seal failed in another car but this one didn't have such a problem just poor design and an asthmatic heater. The electrics with first the rear wiper stopping working to be replaced with a new motor that wouldn't work either then started working only after pulling and reinserting the same fuse for the umpteenth time. Then it was windows opening themselves and swtiches working when they wanted even after replacement. Good riddance. 

The dealers although I've tarred them all unfairly with the same brush but DM Keith own all the Skoda dealerships in the area and could honestly call them the worst ever.

I'll be interested to see what you are offered on your car for part ex. You might want to try a few of the free valuation offered online by dealers to see what it is now worth.  

Oh dear, the solicitor from Harcus Sinclair who is arguing for this group action on Radio 2 sounds useless stuttering and unable to answer the basics of the case including referring to the cheat software as a gizmo!  

The Uk case goes to court later this month (January 17) and is expected to be concluded next year. There is already a EU guide case from Spain where the complainant got 5k Euros so British owners should be in line for about £4K for being sold sub standard product not according to advertising and specification. This should cost VAG about £5B in the UK but basically wipe out their stock value in Europe to cover the full 11 mullion cars.

VW Market Cap is currently 70B Euros so it would be close run thing. Hopefully Skoda and SEAT will be sold off to other manufacturers to produce other marques and VW-Audi can sort out their own house in Germany.

I don't know the exact split but I suspect the majority of VW Group drivers who were allegedly affected where fleet / company car drivers, how could / would any compensation be managed for them?

So I gather from the forgoing threads that the general consensus is to ignore the recent recall letter received from Skoda.

I don't use main dealer service facilities so I'm not likely to be caught with an 'automatic upgrade' when due a service, as happened to a friends vehicle, as he immediately noticed his MPG figures had slumped around 6-7 mpg after a recent main dealer service. When he questioned the service department he was advised that Skoda recommended upgrades had been applied during the routine service and they refused further discussion.

However, as the whole exercise was caused by VAG 'cheating the system', what is likely to happen with ongoing MOT's. Will the testing stations have any indication as to whether the engine has been 'fixed' or still as original and if still original, is it likely to fail on the emission tests because it hasn't had the 'fix' applied?

So I gather from the forgoing threads that the general consensus is to ignore the recent recall letter received from Skoda.

I don't use main dealer service facilities so I'm not likely to be caught with an 'automatic upgrade' when due a service, as happened to a friends vehicle, as he immediately noticed his MPG figures had slumped around 6-7 mpg after a recent main dealer service. When he questioned the service department he was advised that Skoda recommended upgrades had been applied during the routine service and they refused further discussion.

However, as the whole exercise was caused by VAG 'cheating the system', what is likely to happen with ongoing MOT's. Will the testing stations have any indication as to whether the engine has been 'fixed' or still as original and if still original, is it likely to fail on the emission tests because it hasn't had the 'fix' applied?

I am certain MOT's currently only test CO2 levels so I fail to see how a fix or not will make any difference.

What happens if you haven't had it done & the MOT rules are changed? Will Skoda turn round & say "Well, you should have had it done when you had the chance" It's now going to cost you £XXX. I called in the dealers that I got my Rapid from (Simpsons Colne) last Saturday & asked about the fix. They said that there hadn't been any Rapids  recalled yet, so God knows when it'll happen.

Until the 'Hardware Part', the plastic bit/ is available to be fitted when the Remap / engine management is changed the 1.6 TDI's can not go in for 'the fix'. 

UK MOT's are not something that is difficult to pass and the UK Government change the MOT but Stations need to purchase the equipment required for testing 

and the DfT have not even sorted out detecting the presence or not of a DPF or Catalytic Converters.

Modified Vehicles and Vehicles with replacement engines that are not like for like swaps get MOT'd as presented.

If 'The Fix' is to be compulsory then the Government have to have VW paying owners to take in their vehicles not just expenses fot the travel but their lost hourly rate.

Please excuse my ignorance ( feigned or otherwise ) but what role does the dpf play, and what would happen if it were not there ( some people get theirs removed ). I was under the impression it filtered, ie trapped diesel particles from getting out into the atmosphere, so for vehicles fitted with the troublesome things and if they are working properly, would not those vehicles be much better than ones without a dpf, and thus should the dpf fitted ones not be penalised as heavily, if at all?.

http://garagewire.co.uk/news/government-investigates-dpf-removal-ahead-of-crackdown

(Bunch of those that act like crackheads governing the EU.)

There are more recent announcements on the intention of the 'crackdown', there are reports of it having happened in Spain.

About time really, but then the Government knows that they and the EU introduced and pigs dinner that has come back to bite their bums.

Euro 5 & 6 emissions and how manufacturers achieve them being a case of the EU's 3 monkey policy.

The population suffer the pollutants, the costs etc. Non drivers and drivers.

You're wrong. MOT test has no criteria for CO2.

Apologies, I stand corrected.....

Emissions

The tester will use a gas analyser probe while the engine is running to test the smoke emitted from the exhaust. Emissions of carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons must fall within the legal limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I read an article about a typical lady in USA who had her 2.0lt DSG fixed.  It said that she had to keep it is sport mode to get the same take-off and acceleration she used to have before the fix was installed.  Also she said that low speed torque was down and she used more petrol.  So just as I thought and consistent with many comments above.  I will not have the fix then.  My car drives really well from low revs thank you.

On 14/01/2017 at 07:57, Offski said:

Until the 'Hardware Part', the plastic bit/ is available to be fitted when the Remap / engine management is changed the 1.6 TDI's can not go in for 'the fix'.

The last of many letters I've had from Skoda said that my car (1.6 TDI) would be given the "Fix and Plastic flow control device" when next in for a service.
It went in yesterday and I told the service chap I do NOT want the fix to be done.
He replied with the service document in his hand that they at this moment do not have the fix for any of the 1.6TDIs.
It makes me wonder that as Skoda said the fix was ready that any they have done they have turned into lemons and have stopped doing it for now.

It is being carried out now on VW 1.6TDI's.   So there must be VW UK's priority.

Not heard from any Skoda 1.2TDI Euro 5 emissions car owners that have had the Defeat Device removed yet.

I posted in the General Chat section asking if any had. 'The Fix' was approved for those to get done before the 1.6 TDI's

(VW 1.2 TDI's have been getting done.)

Edited by Offski

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/01/2017 at 22:51, Offski said:

It is being carried out now on VW 1.6TDI's.   So there must be VW UK's priority.

Not heard from any Skoda 1.2TDI Euro 5 emissions car owners that have had the Defeat Device removed yet.

I posted in the General Chat section asking if any had. 'The Fix' was approved for those to get done before the 1.6 TDI's

(VW 1.2 TDI's have been getting done.)

My 1.6 Greenline was serviced on 7th Feb. at local Skoda dealership.  No mention of the "fix" being recommended or done during the service and no record of it on the service sheet.  The car seems to be running exactly as normal.  I have had no letters from Skoda UK telling me that the "fix" will be done at the next service as Urrell has had.  Confusion reigns it would seem!

My solution, large gin and tonic.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 11:18, 05surveyor said:

My 1.6 Greenline was serviced on 7th Feb. at local Skoda dealership.  No mention of the "fix" being recommended or done during the service and no record of it on the service sheet.  The car seems to be running exactly as normal.  I have had no letters from Skoda UK telling me that the "fix" will be done at the next service as Urrell has had.  Confusion reigns it would seem!

My solution, large gin and tonic.

I am a Tech at a VW dealer. We started modifying 1.6 diesels just before Christmas. Just after Christmas the Skoda dealer next door began receiving the Flow modifiers. Around this time we began running low on stock of the modifiers and there appeared to be a delay with restocking. All the modifiers which skoda had received were picked up and returned. I can only assume the delay for Skoda might be due to supply of the modifiers.