VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

What you describe is the DPF function not the EGR. EGR reduces the combustion temperature lowering the amount of NOX produced. 

If I still had a Skoda it would be "fixed"

I am not happy.

Have just received the letter about extended warranty on the diesel engines affected by the legally-required fix...but too bl..dy late.

I could spit I'm so annoyed.

I spent over £900 in March getting my Superb 170hp TDi 4x4 EGR valve replaced at my local garage....(who would take a 4 year old car to main dealers)?

I trust my local garage, they are friends, they service all our cars and do a good job. They have been decent to me in the past and were very apologetic when their estimated £600 for the job turned into lots more after the job took them far longer than anticipated (it's a 4x4...lots of bits to come off before you can access the EGR according to them - they contacted Skoda Techline to confirm the procedure. I visited them during the repair and was amazed to see all the bits of front transmission laying on the floor beneath the car). They even undercharged me for the labour, cutting about 6 hours off the bill because they felt bad about it. 

Anyhow, this big bill prompted SWMBO to agree that it was time to change the car, so I now run a Superb series III 280PS L&K.

We stuck with the Superb because otherwise our Superb Mk II was a lovely car, and we wanted the same again, basically.

The whole VAG diesel scandal prompted us to move back to petrol (and I would use any excuse to avoid SWMBO's preference for diesel so I can drive a performance car!).

And we're retired, so why not enjoy the money while we can etc etc....so it's not all bad,

But still...If we had received the letter in time, I could have tried to have the fix done at a Skoda dealer....after all....90K miles in 4.5 years is a reasonable mileage for a diesel, well within the 160k they talk about in the letter.

But I can't take the car or the bill back them and ask for some money back now, as they car has gone, and there is not much else I can do in terms of complaining to them or the media, as VAG's reputation can't be made any worse than it is already by failing to help out an ex-owner.

So £900 down...grrrr!

SailorP

• Like 1

On 25/07/2017 at 18:40, CWARD said:

What you describe is the DPF function not the EGR. EGR reduces the combustion temperature lowering the amount of NOX produced. 

If I still had a Skoda it would be "fixed"

Yep - dead right there

On 25/07/2017 at 21:54, SailorP said:

I am not happy.

Have just received the letter about extended warranty on the diesel engines affected by the legally-required fix...but too bl..dy late.

I could spit I'm so annoyed.

I spent over £900 in March getting my Superb 170hp TDi 4x4 EGR valve replaced at my local garage....(who would take a 4 year old car to main dealers)?

I trust my local garage, they are friends, they service all our cars and do a good job. They have been decent to me in the past and were very apologetic when their estimated £600 for the job turned into lots more after the job took them far longer than anticipated (it's a 4x4...lots of bits to come off before you can access the EGR according to them - they contacted Skoda Techline to confirm the procedure. I visited them during the repair and was amazed to see all the bits of front transmission laying on the floor beneath the car). They even undercharged me for the labour, cutting about 6 hours off the bill because they felt bad about it. 

Anyhow, this big bill prompted SWMBO to agree that it was time to change the car, so I now run a Superb series III 280PS L&K.

We stuck with the Superb because otherwise our Superb Mk II was a lovely car, and we wanted the same again, basically.

The whole VAG diesel scandal prompted us to move back to petrol (and I would use any excuse to avoid SWMBO's preference for diesel so I can drive a performance car!).

And we're retired, so why not enjoy the money while we can etc etc....so it's not all bad,

But still...If we had received the letter in time, I could have tried to have the fix done at a Skoda dealer....after all....90K miles in 4.5 years is a reasonable mileage for a diesel, well within the 160k they talk about in the letter.

But I can't take the car or the bill back them and ask for some money back now, as they car has gone, and there is not much else I can do in terms of complaining to them or the media, as VAG's reputation can't be made any worse than it is already by failing to help out an ex-owner.

So £900 down...grrrr!

SailorP

I would hold onto that reciept just in case another class action comes up regarding the EGR failure - could even try the small claims court, its a cheap process.

• 4 weeks later...

I got the letter about the emission software update for my Superb. Spoke with Skoda UK. They confirmed that there is no legal requirement to have the update done. There is also no deadline on when the update should be done.  Therefore I cannot see the incentive to get it done and risk the potential drop in performance and fuel economy reported in the media.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/07/2017 at 17:05, 05surveyor said:

So the EA189 update was done on my car today.  On the 12 mile drive home I noticed no difference, but I will monitor performance and economy for a reasonable time.  Interestingly the service desk at my local Skoda agent told me that the people who are experiencing problems following the fix are those who have remapped their engines, either before or after the fix was done.  An interesting statement, is there anyone out there who has had problems following the fix but has never done a remap?  I will be watching tomorrow's Watchdog with interest!

UPDATE:  So two months on from the "fix" and I have noticed no adverse effects.  Car seems exactly as it was before.  Performance unaffected but perhaps fuel consumption is a smidgeon heavier, nothng to concern me.  Maybe I've just been lucky?

perhaps 10%? 40-42 usually instead of what had been 44-46 ?

Certainly noticed (in a rough way) that it's usually less than 10miles per litre, when it was more often more than 10miles per litre - even though I've been using more premium (BP ultimate) than I used to

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

So update.  I had the car DSG oil changed on time.  Was asked to sign a letter that offered the "fix" and of course I said NO!  How many more times will they keep on?  What is happening with the current class action?

Car still not fixed and goes really well.  MPG still around 43.6mpg and most times use revs up to 2,500.

• 3 months later...
On 13/05/2018 at 19:39, Sullyman said:

So update.  I had the car DSG oil changed on time.  Was asked to sign a letter that offered the "fix" and of course I said NO!  How many more times will they keep on?  What is happening with the current class action?

Car still not fixed and goes really well.  MPG still around 43.6mpg and most times use revs up to 2,500.

No one will tell you what is happening with the class action.  All have been sworn to secrecy to avoid leaked information prejudicing the claim.  We'll find out eventually from watching BBC, ITV, Sky etc. News.

You will find out if ever a case to to a Court in England / Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland & that will be a Civil Action,

or if VW Group settle out of court which is rather unlikely.

'What is the claim' that people are making in the class action, loss of value of their vehicle having gone on to sell it?

Edited by Offski

16 hours ago, Offski said:

You will find out if ever a case to to a Court in England / Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland & that will be a Civil Action,

or if VW Group settle out of court which is rather unlikely.

'What is the claim' that people are making in the class action, loss of value of their vehicle having gone on to sell it?

No one will tell you the basis of the claim, because all claimants are bound by the confidentiality clause in the contract with the lawyers.

Well odd because i have spoken to those that have signed confidentiality agreements or clauses.

They are like the ones VW have people sign, not worth the paper they are written on at hiding 'No action'. Nothing happening, move along, nothing to see hear.

Inch high private eye stuff is lovely, but on social media these days Law Firms are caught out just like Car Manufacturers.

9 hours ago, 05surveyor said:

No one will tell you the basis of the claim, because all claimants are bound by the confidentiality clause in the contract with the lawyers.

OK, I should have said "should tell" instead of "will tell".

DGH7Or4XUAAxIxl.jpg

Apparently I can't say (see above). If you are part of the claim, you already know. Sounds like the guys running the claim know what they are doing though. Can't see how VW/Skoda et al. can get out of it, they have already admitted what they have been accused of - just down to what the claim is worth really.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2018 at 19:28, S00perb said:

Apparently I can't say (see above). If you are part of the claim, you already know. Sounds like the guys running the claim know what they are doing though. Can't see how VW/Skoda et al. can get out of it, they have already admitted what they have been accused of - just down to what the claim is worth really.

“Know what they’re doing”  = incompetent and badly prepared that the judge awards VW compensation  

I do hope those that signed up read their contract to ensure they’re not responsible for meeting the excess costs. 

You would if you are in the US of A.

In Europe you might get your car seized if Registered in Germany and you refuse to have the German Authorities approved  Fix that the VW Group will do for you, 

maybe making your car immobile anyway. 

If you are elsewhere in Europe / UK you can GTF as far as those Governments are concerned, swing your hook, you never had it so good.

On 06/09/2018 at 22:32, Offski said:

So the secret is out, 

Law Firms raised class actions against VW Group and the VW Group gets costs awarded for getting dragged into court.

Where did you get that information?

From General Car chat if you want to look at the posts & the link in VW thread pinned at the top of the section.

05surveyor, 

Are you still bound by your confidentiality agreement and unable to tell the general public this 'offer of compensation' your lawyers have won you from the VW Group?

Some of the people are fooled some of the time and some are just easily fooled at any time by 'No win no fee' Law Firms.

?

Is there a risk of fees this time with the class actions to those that signed up as members of that class action?

Edited by Offski

2 hours ago, Offski said:

From General Car chat if you want to look at the posts & the link in VW thread pinned at the top of the section.

05surveyor, 

Are you still bound by your confidentiality agreement and unable to tell the general public this 'offer of compensation' your lawyers have won you from the VW Group?

Some of the people are fooled some of the time and some are just easily fooled at any time by 'No win no fee' Law Firms.

?

Is there a risk of fees this time with the class actions to those that signed up as members of that class action?

Until such time as I hear from the lawyers, NO COMMENT.