VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

People make me laugh!!

Let's just for a minute ignore the fact the government have promised that affected cars won't be re-banded and therefor have to pay more tax.

And let's pretend that the sole reason you bought your Fabia was for the free road tax.

Do you really think it would be reasonable for Skoda to pay off the remaining balance of your finance!?

Or might it be slightly more reasonable for them to pay you and amount equivalent to the rise in tax every year?

Completely moot point as tax won't rise but the things people come away with sometimes are ridiculous.

My Octavia is 'affected' but do I care? Not in the slightest. It's given the fuel economy figures I expected of it so as far as I'm concerned the 'cheat' software has had no adverse effected on my ownership.

Would I refuse any compensation offered? Of course not, but if none is forthcoming I won't lose any sleep.

Don't believe the government about not revising the Tax Vehicle Emissions bands.. they're already doing it.. so to trust them is arrogance on your part.

It wasn't the sole reason.. but one of the reasons.  If it's advertised as being low emissions, but in reality it isn't.. then it's breach of contract between the customer and VWGroup.. they've mis-sold and blatantly lied to generate a sale. 

Yes I would think it reasonable for VWGroup to pay off the entire balance of my car, they couldn't afford 100,000+ Skoda customers to take them to court and pursue costs for selling them something which clearly wasn't as it was supposed to be.  Settling for VWGroup just to pay road tax for the lifetime of the car isn't enough.  If you buying into a more eco-friedly car, you expect it to be so and someone wouldn't necessarily be happy to continue driving around in a vehicle which doesn't live up to the billing and exceeds the advertised emissions by over 40 times what they are claimed by a company who makes billions out of motorists.

I don't particularly care if you don't care so much about your Octavia.. we all buy cars for different reasons.  Fabia's are in the super-hatch category, therefore drivers of those are probably more eco-concious than Octavia drivers who probably like yourself don't care in the slightest.

I own my car with no outstanding finance so I'd get no 'compensation' but you'd get several thousand pounds?

Sounds fair......

Were you complaining that the emissions/ fuel economy your car was getting was not what you were expecting BEFORE the emissions scandal broke? Thought not.

When I bought my 140 CR Estate I did for two reasons. One its weight, I own a 1400 kilogramme caravan and needed something of sufficient weight to tow within reasonable boundaries, the Skoda was one of only a few that fitted the bill. The second was the power output. I set a minimum of 130 BHP but having towed with an Avensis as a trial uprated it to 140 with the improved torque figures of the Skoda. I therefore purchased a 140 BHP Skoda Estate. I did not and would not have purchased something with less which will be the result of any remapping by VW. If the "fix" reduces the BHP of my car, I will be entitled to a full refund less reasonable usage costs as it will not be fit for purpose. It will also not be what I was led to believe I purchased. Yes I know, lets wait and see what they propose, anyone who blindly thinks VAG will do their best for the customers is in dream land, they will do the Maximum in the US due to potential punitive damages and offer remaps to anyone concerned about the trees in Europe. Just my opinion and off for a pollute now!

• Like 1

So we would have a scenario of 'paying off the balance of the car' versus 'fixing it to the standard you thought you were buying'? Hmmm, now I wonder which path VW will ( or indeed should) take?

But it wouldn't be fixing it would it.. all the people with 4 cyl diesels will also be down on power to lower the emissions.. it's not just the bypass the emissions test issue, there's more going on.. that's why if you had a 130bhp Skoda and was told after the recall to meet the Euro emissions test you are being reduced down to 85bhp.. are you going to accept it?  Don't think so..

I myself have a Euro6 engine so I am not involved, if I had have been with my car, they would have to foot the bill.. as they breached sale of contract.. like I said, people on here can laugh and think it's not acceptable to ask VWGroup to pay off a car as compensation, but I can guarantee you hundreds of thousands of VWGroup motorists who are affected will be forcing the issue and getting them to pay up in full.  It will happen - it's a guaranteed certainty.. and soon as it becomes knowledge they have done this, I'm happy to post it on here and I can sit comfortably and tell you all I told you so..

..wait and see!

Were you complaining that the emissions/ fuel economy your car was getting was not what you were expecting BEFORE the emissions scandal broke? Thought not.

Yes.. fuel economy isn't as high as quoted. mentioned it to the dealer on a few occasions actually.. but how would I know about the emissions, if my car wasn't due an MOT until 2018? :wall:

I'm given to understand that there are law firms already signing up affected owners ready for court actions, they wouldn't be doing that if there wasn't a shilling in it for them!

You are dead right Prykey, they don't start stuff like that without a good chance of winning and some insider knowledge of what VW are likely to want to do and/or what Consumer law will make them do.

No vehicle will do its advertised mpg

Rubbish.. My Mk1 Fabia 1.9TDi exceeded the quoted Extra Urban of 67.8mpg and got 70+ mpg on hundreds of trips up and down the country..

BBC News:

About 400,000 Volkswagen cars in the UK will need fuel injectors altered as well as a software fix, its UK boss said.

Paul Willis, UK managing director, said that cars fitted with the 1.6L diesel engine would need the physical remedy.

Those with the larger 2L engine would only need a software fix, he told the Commons Transport select committee.

Mr Willis apologised "sincerely and unreservedly" for letting down customers.

He told the MPs on the committee that VW first sold cars with engines that could cheat emissions testing in the UK in 2008.

A total of 1.2 million vehicles sold in the UK had been affected, but the remaining two thirds would only need software altered, Mr Willis explained.

So both our cars will require more work than the 2.0l I know I should have gone for the 2.0 rather than this 1.6 ! , the son was going to part ex the monte for a BMW 320d but now it's not a sale due to the emissions and the much bigger work to be carried out on the monte !

• Administrators

Gosh that panel was a mix of 3 blind mice and some mob blood hunters.

There was a question about some testing the VCA; I think that is what it was, are going to do. The MP directed the question at VW, implying a re-test of VW cars and associated costs to us. The VW boss didn't know of this government letter to a government dept. so asked to be given more info. He was and it was read in part... the MP faded out quickly when it got to the bit about begin testing vehicles not sourced directly from manufacturers.

He was 'angry' his constituents are paying, i.e. all of us, for these new tests. I can only deduce from the fragment, that some gov. testing agency are going to test lots of cars, randomly, not pre'rigged' by manf's for something... a lot of crap is falling at VW groups feet. :) VW guy said they would pay for it, result.

As predicted by many, VW not unique but the 1st over the wall, will pay the highest price. Everyone's sights will be on them no matter what follows, yet those dragging heels will be but a footnote on it all, as per that guardian article if proven.

It wouldn't make any sense in ignoring the fix as it will make your vehicle unsalable in the future !

You'd be well advised delaying the fix until just before you sell it though. They're going to have to use EGR more aggressively to get the NOx down so you can expect more DPF regens from the corresponding rise in particulates and quite possibly slightly worse throttle response / drivability. And main dealers made a total hash of replacing injectors on many PD170s so that's another worry on the 1.6s.

Why do they need to change the injectors on the 1.6 engine? I can understand the software fix if it is just to defeat the defeat device but physical changes. I am sure there are some technics out there who could explain it in laymans terms; please??

When they "fix" a car, their target is to meet the emissions standards that it should have hit, plus keep the same economy and performance.

Some of the cars might have been only just outside the emissions standards so can get by with just a remap.

Others like the 1.6 obviously can't, so need physical changes as well - presumably the injectors they plan to fit allow for more efficient combustion and lower emissions. Technology moves quite quickly in the automotive world, and there has been seven years of development to improve on the design.

• Like 1

When they "fix" a car, their target is to meet the emissions standards that it should have hit, plus keep the same economy and performance.

Economy is pretty much quantifiable, more frequent regens not withstanding. Performance, not so much. If EGR is closed during WOT I'm sure they can still claim the same 0-62 figure. But more subtle, subjective measures around how the car feels could be where the performance suffers.

• Like 1