Subtle Spaceback Mods....Ideas Welcome, I've started with the obvious!

fixie505

Hi Skoda Community,

I have just taken delivery of a Rapid Spaceback Sport SE as my daily driver as I need something new and fairly economical for work. I am impressed so far with general looks/comfort/drivability. 

I also have a 10 year old 3 litre flat 6 cylinder Subaru Legacy Spec B for weekend B Road driving so the 1.2 Rapid does feel a little un-rapid when stepping from one to the other but different tools for different jobs....

I am hoping to make some very subtle styling changes to set it apart from the (very few) other Rapids on the road.

1. Change the grill surround (or powder coat??) from silver to black to compliment the Sport SE standard black styling pack.

2. Swap the 5x100 17" Silver Camelot alloy wheels and rubber (450 miles so far since delivery) for something VAG but in black, again to pull the black/red styling together.

3. De-badge the rear glass boot....Is this fairly easy by heating up the lettering/glue with a hairdryer and then cleaning any residue. Any problems with damage to the glass?

I would love to lower it to fill those voluminous arch spaces but doing something right and OEM would be quite pricey, yes?

Any advice gratefully received.

Lee

Skoda approved spring kit (Eibach) drops it 30mm.

but Skoda dealers have seemingly fitted front springs rated for the heavier diesel motor to a few petrols.

Skoda are working with the incorrect part number.

Anyway-  under £200 a set of 4. Order the correct springs off Eibach website - that's the "OEM" (importer approved) option then.

or try H&R (-35mm), Lowtec (-30/40), KW,

there are some coilover sets out there (KW and maybe some others) but you could buy another car instead with that amount of money!!

I debadged by pouring hot water on the badge and then tooth flossing it off.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

You can buy a black grill from skoda for £33 which is what im doing when i get paid next week.

Dont lower as much as i have as it wont be very useful in speedbump areas as the cars quite long haha

• Like 1

Hmmm, I have the manual dexterity of a Hippo with Parkinsons and the patience of an excitable dog that's just been told it's time to go walkies. Maybe the dealer fitted option is the one for me!

L

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses....

The 17" Camelots are growing on me....but will lower and possibly move to 18's when I have saved up the cash....

I'm focussing on a black grill surround next after de-badging the back it seems right to 'blend-in' the front by de-chroming.

Skoda dealers want £93 for the part and this price is verified at 2 different dealers, can anybody help with a link to anything cheaper as quoted  above £33/£66??

Lee

Edited by fixie505

Where was this from please?

When i rang them to order them they never answered. So i went to another dealer on my travels with work and they dont have a clue on how they quoted it this low. Ill investigate when im passing my local dealer again :)

I've been to 2 dealers now and they both quote £90+ for supply only.... I'm still going to go down this route I think as the chrome surround just doesn't work.... A bit like wearing Brogues with a track suit.

I've been to 2 dealers now and they both quote £90+ for supply only.... I'm still going to go down this route I think as the chrome surround just doesn't work.... A bit like wearing Brogues with a track suit.

Or do like me and wait for better weather and paint it. Cheaper option :)

• Like 1

Not tried anything like this before but short of cash so will give it a go.....

First stage, get the grill surround removed without taking the bumper off as Skoda claim you need to do!

Edited by fixie505

Not tried anything like this before but short of cash so will give it a go.....

First stage, get the grill surround removed without taking the bumper off as Skoda claim you need to do!

Id wait for better weather personally

• 2 weeks later...