Bristol Street Motors -Darlington

TeflonTom

On Thursday I was looking at Montes on Auto-trader but they were a bit far away to go an look at so I thought I'd check their site on the off chance. They had a red Monte in that matched my preferences and was in my price range. I went in there and couldn't find it, so asked. It was at another dealer (fair do's, my bad) So I test drove a similar car, then we went through some numbers and got a deal that was right and now the car has been brought to Darlington and is sitting waiting for me to get there to look at it. Deposit is paid and deal is made on the condition that I test drive, look around and there is nothing wrong with the car. So we'll see how it goes.

Some of the staff there are the same people that worked for MSB but there are a few new members of staff, including the salesman I'm dealing with. The staff that remain from the old franchise seam happier now so maybe the problems that existed before were a management issue. We shall see.

• 3 weeks later...

I went here like i did before it was changed to bristol street motors, and i wasnt impressed i wanted loads doing to big blu and asked for a courtesy car and got told it was a £13.50 charge per day for having the courtesy car at that point while picking my jaw up off the floor,(never been charged before) i was also told that some of the stuff i needed to go back in stages to get work completed, that they didnt have the staff to complete the car in one go.his attuide stunk wasnt really helpfull and didnt care at that point i said thank you and no thanks.

i went to VASTEC thats just around the corner got big blu booked in got a (free)courtesy car granted i had to wait a week to get booked in, but i was in no rush, and spent my £3600 there instead and i would never go back to BSM. ive made reviews on the other link before it changed hands and never had problems, granted he could of been having a bad day however the damage has been done and i will always use VASTEC from now on they have lost a customer of 5 years shame. but highly recommend VASTEC

• 2 weeks later...

I E-mailed SUK about my bonnet and they kicked the dealer into action, I am waiting for the dealer and the body shop to come to arrangements and get back to me. In he interests of fairness I will wait until all work is completed before I publish my final review.

• 2 months later...

Right, so now I have all of the car sat on the drive in one piece I can finally post up a honest review of the dealership.

Purchasing: Saw a car that met every one of my requirements on the BSM website, went in on the Thursday to look at it. Couldn't find it as it was at another branch (couldn't see any indication of location on the site so presumed wrongly it would be there) Whilst looking for the car in the forecourt there were no pushy salesmen or anything that would otherwise put you off the place, only when I went in and approached a salesman did I get one, which is good. I explained what I found on-line, he looked round the front, round the back and in the stock list, determined that it was either sold or at another dealers. He asked if I would like one of the others, which I declined due to colour, or a new one which I declined due to the new style. So he looked on-line and found the one I was after originally at another dealers and said they could get it here in 4 days (Monday and he was next in on Tuesday so we arranged to meet then. The car arrived the next day and I got a phone-call and we met on Saturday to test-drive and sort things out for a final collection on Tuesday. At this point I noticed the missing Aux port cover and locking wheel nut key and told them about them.

Tuesday: Went in at opening time to collect the car, log-book was still at the other dealership (Doh!) so that had to be done over the phone, no real problem though it turned out well in the end. The lock-nut key and Aux port cover were still not present but they said it'd be in in a couple of days or so. So I took the car away after seeing the manager about some money that the previous owners of the dealership owed my dad for a service that needed doing to his car just after purchase.

After-sales: Went in 3 times over the next couple of weeks, still no parts, last of those times they said they needed to check which type of lock-nuts they were so they could order the right key (surely they should have known this already) So while we had the master I got them to take the lock-nuts out and I put my old ones in.

Bonnet: a couple of days after the last trip in I washed the car and saw that the bonnet was hanging over the front of the bumper so I took it in (still no lock-nut key or Aux cover BTW) the salesman said there was no problem and it was "within tolerances" But knowing I was right I took it to VASStech to have the bonnet adjusted, they said they would but they'd prefer to let the dealers have another shot first. While showing the guy around the car he noticed that the paint was worn off where the bonnet was touching the lights so I took photos, E-mailed SUK customer services and eventually got the car booked in after a meeting with the manager (Still no parts, or money for that matter) Then came the crash, that fixed the bonnet so we canceled that, no point wasting anyone's time over that any-more. But still no parts, now it is the 10th of December, 2 months since I bought the car. They said they'd order the parts again and it would be 9 days, give or take over Christmas ect. So I waited for a month, went in early Jan and asked about them, only the lock-nuts had come in. A full set of different ones, not just a key. So no point in checking which it was earlier then, but anyway, a new set is better so that's not a problem. But still no Aux port cover. However, being the reasonable person I told them I'd sort the rest out as the Aux cover is a couple of quid.

When we took the old lock-nuts off one was finger tight and I removed that before the guy got back with the impact wrench, but that's the other dealers for you, still BSM though. Pollen filter covered the carpet with leaves when I pulled it out to check so I've hoovered that out today to help it out a bit otherwise it's not that bad, but it could have been pulled at service to check. Rear break drums hadn't been removed since it left the factory either as they were practically welded onto the hubs.

Still no money for my dad either.

So on the whole if you're thinking of buying a car from there know what you want when you go in, go in when there's an offer on and check the car properly before hand-over, if there's anything at all wrong with it refuse, don't take the car until everything is right. But I will still be going to VASStech for servicing. No doubt.

• 1 year later...

Rang Bristol street Darlington about a used Octavia they had in stock,got through to a very talkative salesman,who was full of himself,i could hardly get a word in edgeways,told him i would also be looking at another Octavia at Hayselden in Doncaster with 10k less miles than theirs,he launched into a lecture about how diesel engines can go on for more than 400k miles & why bother going to look at the car in Doncaster,as if anything went wrong it's a long journey to put things right,i already know of the benefits of the longevity of diesel engines if serviced regularly,so i gave BS motors a miss & went straight to Doncaster where i did the deal with a much more reasonable guy

• 5 months later...

Went in there yesterday to see if they had any Mkll Octavia VRSs in at all as I was looking to change my Ibiza for a VRS, I only wanted a Mkll Octy BRS and wasn't desperate to change. Had a look round and couldn't find any, a salesman came up to me and asked if he could help to which I replied I'm looking for a Mkll facelift Octavia VRS but it doesn't look like you have any. He looked at me with a snooty expression and said "we don't sell old cars" and that they only sell cars maximum 8 years old. I said I saw one on DM Keith's website that was a 2011 plate then he said "we're not DM Kieth" in a snotty tone and asked me to come in side so he could look on their system, went in and he tried selling me a brand new Fabia saying it had a powerful 110BHP 1L engine and had a nice red stripe, I politely turned him down saying I wanted the size, towing ability and power of the VRS, he looked on the website and the cheapest he could find was over £16,000 so I left.