Water collecting under door

never had this problem on my previous 4 octavia's mki to mkii but got it on the mkiii.

Haven't been arsed before now but mentioned it to the dealer on a service before christmas in case I'm stuck with it this year.

They've ordered two sets of new door seals to fix the problem.

Off to the dealers on Monday due to the bi-xenon lights being to low on dipped beam. Wife has just mentioned this issue to me on the passenger side, will get the dealers to look at this while its in. Weirdly the passenger side has 2 holes on the seal and the drivers side has 1 hole, not sure if this makes any difference.

Will post the outcome after visiting the dealers on Monday.

• Like 1

Only had mine 4 days and its rained non stop as you know. No issues that Ive seen and the seals on mine look like the pic posted by Gaff so it would seem new cars are getting the update

• Like 1

Thanks for the part numbers D1965. I was told by my dealer that there were no modified seals and water in doors was a standard feature and not to worry about it. Not amused after buying two cars from them!

Interestingly, Birchwood Skoda in Eastbourne have told me the same thing today,  going as far as to say they'd discussed it with Skoda UK technical, who have told them to go down the perforate the seal route.

Think I'll write to Skoda UK to ask why other people are getting the revised door seals, but my car isn't.  I'll report back.

Can anybody point me towards the thread with the named persons details at Skoda UK please?  EDIT: now pointed out by George and a message submitted to Skoda UK via their online contact form.

Ta

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

My cars going back in to have the seals changes next week. Fingers crossed they'll be replacements and not just an extra hole in the current ones!

Is that as a warranty item, may I ask?

Gaz

Maybe my door seals, at 6 months old, have gone past their 'new for old' age range then  :dull:

Mine have now had the 'modification' done.  Haven't looked yet - too dark and wet out.  Skoda UK haven't replied yet.

Gaz

My MY16 vRS spills out its collected water on both sides frequently.

I've also encountered the problem on Rapids/Toledos. The rear door on them used to fill up as part of the door seal gets poked up into the drain hole, blocking it completely. I modified several door seals by cutting a notch out of the rubber flap where it went over the drain hole.

From Gaff's pic, the seals on the Octavias look different so this idea probably wouldn't work. However if a few more holes work...

Edited by HeavyMetalRich

Sorry for going off topic but do you mean too low as in not bright enough or not high enough?

Brightness is fine, they're just not high enough, I can only see around a car lengths or slightly more in front. I drive dark country lanes and my old Mk2 vrs halogen bulbs were much better for distance. I took it in and they put the car on the diagnostics and all came back fine and they did the MOT test to check the height and that was fine. Its going back in for the seals next week and while its in they're going to look again and raise them to the maximum height that will still pass the MOT standards. Fingers crossed that'll give me enough distance!!  Do you struggle with your headlights?

Brightness is fine, they're just not high enough, I can only see around a car lengths or slightly more in front. I drive dark country lanes and my old Mk2 vrs halogen bulbs were much better for distance. I took it in and they put the car on the diagnostics and all came back fine and they did the MOT test to check the height and that was fine. Its going back in for the seals next week and while its in they're going to look again and raise them to the maximum height that will still pass the MOT standards. Fingers crossed that'll give me enough distance!!  Do you struggle with your headlights?

I'm finding the same, They're nice and bright when they're pointing at a wall or something but as soon as I'm out on the road they appear very poor. I've tried switching them onto dip manually rather than auto but it doesn't make a big difference. I'll ask the dealer when I take mine in to have the doors seals replaced.

I'm finding the same, They're nice and bright when they're pointing at a wall or something but as soon as I'm out on the road they appear very poor. I've tried switching them onto dip manually rather than auto but it doesn't make a big difference. I'll ask the dealer when I take mine in to have the doors seals replaced.

At least its not just me finding them poor for distance :) To save taking over the thread I'll private message you the outcome for the lights when the car goes in next Thursday. Hope they replace your door seals for you!

Cheers

Sean

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually wasn't too bothered about this until I looked more closely and found that the "grey foam insulation / sound deadening" type thing where the hinge is looks like it's absorbing the water and distorting slightly. (Wrinkling really), so just concerned that may begin to smell or rot the panels it comes into contact with. Car gets parked on a down sloping drive and water always collects after heavy rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe my door seals, at 6 months old, have gone past their 'new for old' age range then  :dull:

Mine have now had the 'modification' done.  Haven't looked yet - too dark and wet out.  Skoda UK haven't replied yet.

Gaz

I've had a reply from Skoda UK:

'Please be aware that having reviewed the case, I can see that Birchwood ŠKODA in Eastbourne have followed the correct procedures

and provided the correct fix as per advice given by ŠKODA UK Technical. There is no replacement or superseded part to be

replaced on your vehicle at this time.'

Which has now got me wondering what the part numbers S5E0837698B and S5E0837697B are?

Gaz

I have been seeing this for all the past 5 years of Fabia ownership !!! Thought it was perfectly normal, after washing it i tend to just open the doors and let it drip out.... bit of a routine really. If a MY16 octy is doing this but there is a fix from Skoda, why the hell are they not fitting it at factory to save any hassle, these are brand new cars !

Looking at mine

Original seals: no holes on outside of seal

---*---*---

-----------

Modified seals: the holes front and back line up

---*---*---

---*---*---

New seals: the holes are offset. That is gap between outside 2 holes is further than inside 2 holes

---*---*---

-*-------*--

In above ---- is seal, * is hole in seal

TOP is inside, bottom is outside.

Edited by GAFF
  • Like 4

I asked my dealer about this problem whilst my car was being serviced yesterday.

They told me it was a known issue & ordered replacement parts without any question.

I'll try to upload a picture & part numbers when its done on Friday.

I'll ask for the part numbers, TSB number (if there is one) & will upload a copy of the worksheet when I take the car for fitting tomorrow.

• Like 1