Water collecting under door

Any chance of an actual picture?

See x3 files attached

1 Outside of car showing the water run off

2 Outside of seal, note the holes are located near to the bottom of the seal (@ approx 5 O'Clock)

3 Inside of seal, note the holes are not as far apart when compared to the outside holes, also they are located at approx 9 O'Clock on the seal

post-35-0-87247400-1454148536_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-42572600-1454148547_thumb.jpg

post-35-0-07020600-1454148556_thumb.jpg

Edited by GAFF
  • Like 3

When I picked up my car & questioned the dealer it seems like they "modified" my existing seals rather than ordering a new part...

They were waiting for the "instructions from Skoda" to do this.

I'm waiting for some rain now to check if it has worked & will compare my seals against the photos from Gaff.

On my hands & knees in the parking garage it was difficult to see any modifications.

I contacted the dealer principle about water trapped in doors, I had taken the car in some months ago but was assured it was all to manufacturing standard. Anyway, this time I got a call from the Service Manager who advised that revised seals were available according to a recent online technician training session. He said he would order the seals and call me when they were in to arrange for them to be fitted. If it was a case of 'modifying' my existing seals then I would have assumed that they would have just booked my car in for it to be done. Unless of course they were trying to make me think I was getting new seals to keep me happy but actually they were going to modify my original seals..... ? I would certainly hope not.

I will carefully mark my seals so I will know if they have been replaced or not.

• Like 1

I'm still chugging along with Skoda UK, who don't seem to be getting it (or maybe they are)  :think: and are insisting that there are no replacement parts.

I'm guessing there'll be more hoops to jump through.  Will update on here when I get a sensible response.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

When I picked up my car & questioned the dealer it seems like they "modified" my existing seals rather than ordering a new part...

They were waiting for the "instructions from Skoda" to do this.

I'm waiting for some rain now to check if it has worked & will compare my seals against the photos from Gaff.

On my hands & knees in the parking garage it was difficult to see any modifications.

There is a difference between the modified and New Seals.

The mod puts a hole through each side of seal. Whereas the new seals have offset holes like my diagram above.

The fact that Skoda have reverted to New Seals must mean the Mod seals dont fully resolve the issue.

Edited by GAFF

it sounds to me if skoda would like this problem to go away. I asked my local dealer today and they denied there even was a modified part.

I guess its just a lottary if you have a dealer willing to investigate and rectify.

I guess its just a lottary if you have a dealer willing to investigate and rectify.

This is the case with any manufacturer & dealership run by a franchise.

Warrenty work must be approved by the OEM before the dealership will be paid & for something like a door seal, the time to gain approval probably outweighs the cost they get back for 15minutes fitting the new seals.

Hi,

Had my door seals done in December and seemed to work (made a post on it )but after washing car 3 times since i am back to water splashing out AGAIN!.

I can only find 1 drain hole and it's  to the front of the car?

Big thanks to GAFF for part numbers and photo of revised seal.Had to email Skoda Ireland with the part numbers and photo before they admitted liability under warranty.Car was in with Skoda dealer today.Seems that only front door seals were replaced.Is there revised seals available for rear doors also?

I'm still not convinced any VAG car has resolved the dreaded water ingress issue entirely. My car collects water along the door seal when left at a certain angle (sloped drive or road) and the water will sit along the top of the seal. I still think it is the door carrier letting in a dribble of water, which accumulates on top of the seal and when there is enough, travels over the rubber and under the carpets.

The seals hold water between the outer skin of the door and the sill when closed and as has been said splashes out when you open the door. This from what I understand is normal and the modified sill rubbers can reduce this a lot, but the issue is still ultimately with the ancillary door carrier. I have took enough of these things apart over the years on old and new cars and water will get it's way in tracking along wires, or cables running through into the carriers where there are small holes etc.

Maybe my door seals, at 6 months old, have gone past their 'new for old' age range then  :dull:

Mine have now had the 'modification' done.  Haven't looked yet - too dark and wet out.  Skoda UK haven't replied yet.

Gaz

Late response, but I got my seals replaced at nearly 2yrs old.

• Like 1

I contacted the dealer principle about water trapped in doors, I had taken the car in some months ago but was assured it was all to manufacturing standard. Anyway, this time I got a call from the Service Manager who advised that revised seals were available according to a recent online technician training session. He said he would order the seals and call me when they were in to arrange for them to be fitted. If it was a case of 'modifying' my existing seals then I would have assumed that they would have just booked my car in for it to be done. Unless of course they were trying to make me think I was getting new seals to keep me happy but actually they were going to modify my original seals..... ? I would certainly hope not.

I will carefully mark my seals so I will know if they have been replaced or not.

Had arranged to have new seals fitted tomorrow. Got a call this evening saying that actually the training video related to 'modifying' the door seals and at present there were no replacement seals. He did say that Skoda was aware there was an issue and were working on a new seal and that I would be contacted when said new seal was available. Just have to keep opening the doors after each rain shower or wash!

When my back is a bit better I will have a look myself and see if I can mod them instead of wasting a day with it at the dealers.

Had arranged to have new seals fitted tomorrow. Got a call this evening saying that actually the training video related to 'modifying' the door seals and at present there were no replacement seals. He did say that Skoda was aware there was an issue and were working on a new seal and that I would be contacted when said new seal was available. Just have to keep opening the doors after each rain shower or wash!

When my back is a bit better I will have a look myself and see if I can mod them instead of wasting a day with it at the dealers.

Did the phone start smelling from all the **** coming through it by any chance?

How does it take until the day before to realise the seals they had ordered dont actually exist? That would have been obvious the moment you tried to order them.

Anyway, new seals do exist. More than one person on here has had them fitted, myself included. Now perhaps SUK have realised the new seals don't actually solve the problem. In which case say so. Dont make up a load of bull. Your dealer is lying through their back teeth, and i'd be straight round kicking up a massive stink. Oh, and naming and shaming them.

• Like 1

Hi JungleJames,can you please confirm for me if rear door seals were replaced with revised seals which have drainage holes similar to front door seals.I had my car dealership last Friday to have all four replaced, but I can't see any drainage holes on the rear seals.I reckon they only replaced the front two.Kind Regards, Frank

Hi JungleJames.

Yip, makes you wonder what dealers think of the customers who keep their wages coming in. I guess they did not try to order the seals until too late to find out they do not exist. Or do they? Or are the dealers just saying they are new and just modding what they have? In an earlier post the reply from Skoda UK was that there were no new seals, yet others, yourself included, have said they have had new seals fitted! Confusing to say the least!! Do you have any part numbers or documents showing new seals fitted? My car was built around January of 2015 and registered in March. Perhaps your car was earlier than this so may have had even earlier seals? Just wondering if that could be the difference....

As regards my dealer, we have crossed email and verbal swords before and I feel another one coming on. After about year my wife's Rapid rear wiper decided not to clear a large area in the center of the rear window, we visited our dealer  who inspected the wiper and pronounced the wiper fit for purpose.  The fault we were told was a weak wiper arm pressure spring which was a known problem and they would have to order a new wiper arm and fit it under warranty, so we booked the car in for while you wait fitting on the Monday the 1st Feb. When we arrived the  it transpired that the arm was ordered but had been crossed off; much mumble,. mumble,.... by the staff followed. We were pointed to the customer waiting area for a coffee while they sorted the problem out.

About 10 minutes later the service assistant apologetically told us that we did not need a new wiper arm but some 'spacers' that would then correctly align the wiper to travel the screen and apply the right pressure to clear the whole screen. Of course they did not have the washers and would have to order them! I am not sure how the existing arm managed to clear the screen for about a year without these 'spacers' . Seems rather odd to me.

Anyway that was on the 1st Feb and while we were there I arranged for the seals to be fitted on Tuesday the 9th Feb, (this following an email to the dealer principle about said seals and water being retained in both front doors and a call to me from the Service Manager). The service staff said the seals would be ordered and I would have them fitted on the 9th. They had 5 working days for them to be ordered and delivered; Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur and Fri to ensure delivery on the Monday for fitting on the Tuesday. Only on Monday the 8th around 6.00pm did they phone me to say that the seals were not available.

Not sure where to go from here, see how long it takes for them to let us know they have the Rapid spacers, get back on to the dealer principle or go to the area manger at the dealerships head office.

I am sure that my problems are minor but annoying even so.

Edited by ajw1100

Hi ajw1100,

May I suggest you go Skoda dealer showroom and inspect the doors on an Octavia that's on display. More than likely it will be a later production version than yours and should have the revised seals fitted from the factory. Armed with this knowledge, go back to service vmanger and insist on getting the revised seals fitted to your car.

Hi JungleJames,can you please confirm for me if rear door seals were replaced with revised seals which have drainage holes similar to front door seals.I had my car dealership last Friday to have all four replaced, but I can't see any drainage holes on the rear seals.I reckon they only replaced the front two.Kind Regards, Frank

I was asked if it affected rear doors as well, but i said i didnt think so. So only fronts were replaced.

So whether they have replacements for rears or not, I cant say for certain. Sorry

Hi JungleJames.

Yip, makes you wonder what dealers think of the customers who keep their wages coming in. I guess they did not try to order the seals until too late to find out they do not exist. Or do they? Or are the dealers just saying they are new and just modding what they have? In an earlier post the reply from Skoda UK was that there were no new seals, yet others, yourself included, have said they have had new seals fitted! Confusing to say the least!! Do you have any part numbers or documents showing new seals fitted? My car was built around January of 2015 and registered in March. Perhaps your car was earlier than this so may have had even earlier seals? Just wondering if that could be the difference....

As regards my dealer, we have crossed email and verbal swords before and I feel another one coming on. After about year my wife's Rapid rear wiper decided not to clear a large area in the center of the rear window, we visited our dealer  who inspected the wiper and pronounced the wiper fit for purpose.  The fault we were told was a weak wiper arm pressure spring which was a known problem and they would have to order a new wiper arm and fit it under warranty, so we booked the car in for while you wait fitting on the Monday the 1st Feb. When we arrived the  it transpired that the arm was ordered but had been crossed off; much mumble,. mumble,.... by the staff followed. We were pointed to the customer waiting area for a coffee while they sorted the problem out.

About 10 minutes later the service assistant apologetically told us that we did not need a new wiper arm but some 'spacers' that would then correctly align the wiper to travel the screen and apply the right pressure to clear the whole screen. Of course they did not have the washers and would have to order them! I am not sure how the existing arm managed to clear the screen for about a year without these 'spacers' . Seems rather odd to me.

Anyway that was on the 1st Feb and while we were there I arranged for the seals to be fitted on Tuesday the 9th Feb, (this following an email to the dealer principle about said seals and water being retained in both front doors and a call to me from the Service Manager). The service staff said the seals would be ordered and I would have them fitted on the 9th. They had 5 working days for them to be ordered and delivered; Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur and Fri to ensure delivery on the Monday for fitting on the Tuesday. Only on Monday the 8th around 6.00pm did they phone me to say that the seals were not available.

Not sure where to go from here, see how long it takes for them to let us know they have the Rapid spacers, get back on to the dealer principle or go to the area manger at the dealerships head office.

I am sure that my problems are minor but annoying even so.

Yep, my car is earlier than yours. Late 2013 build. However if it transpires your car already has updated seals, then the dealer should tell you this. I had this when i questioned the harsh ride of the Octy. Dealer i went to looked into ordering the revised shocks (which did exist despite what SUK said to some). However it transpired my car already had the revised shocks, and this is what was said to me.

I have no doubt the revised seals do exist, despite what SUK say. Based on a few instances mentioned on here, with regards to seals and other problems, I get the impression if you go direct to SUK you are shafted, and are blacklisted from then on. You need to go via a dealer, and keep looking until you find a decent dealer. Most of the time it seems if you go direct to SUK they deny everything, and once they have denied it first time, they always deny it, and your name is then highlighted if you try and go via a dealer afterwards.

A few have had luck by going via SUK, but they seem to be a lucky few who have dealt with someone decent. Get the wrong person to start with, and you may as well kiss goodbye to ever getting it sorted.

Cheers for that.I have complained to Skoda Ireland about this, still waiting for a response. The rear driver's side sill rubber is getting wet,dealer says this is unrelated to the seal issue.On Saturday I took seal off one clip on centre of door,between the two drainage holes that are in the metal of the door as I reckoned seal was too tight and was blocking the drainage holes.Had heavy rainfall here on Sunday & Monday but sill rubber is bone dry and car is parked in usual position.

I was asked if it affected rear doors as well, but i said i didnt think so. So only fronts were replaced.

So whether they have replacements for rears or not, I cant say for certain. Sorry

Thanks James, we live and learn! I have a back problem and am having an operation on Monday (two not related) but once back up a running, okay, well maybe fast walking, I will indeed go to the dealers and lay on the floor under the drivers door; should amuse the salesmen a little! Good suggestion Frank :clap: .

Thanks James, we live and learn! I have a back problem and am having an operation on Monday (two not related) but once back up a running, okay, well maybe fast walking, I will indeed go to the dealers and lay on the floor under the drivers door; should amuse the salesmen a little! Good suggestion Frank :clap: .

Best of luck with your back operation.In case you may have missed it,GAFF has an earlier post on here with a photo attached,clearly showing the revised seal with two pre-formed drainage holes in the rubber.
  • Like 1