Water collecting under door

Visited the dealer today, questioning why I was offered a 'Fix' and others got seals replaced. The reply from the Service Manager was that I could have the seals fitted from the current model to my car but Skoda was working on a new seal to replace the seals on my car and the current model, so that would make at least 3 versions. He could not give any idea as to when these might be available.

It would seem the current seals are not up to the job either but an improvement over mine, so I said that I would take the current seals as that would reduce the flow of my current Skoda Waterfall.

He said he will order the current seals and phone me to arrange to have them fitted next week.

Have to wait and see.........

Got into mine yesterday morning and there was a load of partially melted ice, I have a nice pic to show the dealership. I think if it had not been partaly thored it would have ripped the seals.

Edited by Alpha2110

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted the dealer principle about water trapped in doors, I had taken the car in some months ago but was assured it was all to manufacturing standard. Anyway, this time I got a call from the Service Manager who advised that revised seals were available according to a recent online technician training session. He said he would order the seals and call me when they were in to arrange for them to be fitted. If it was a case of 'modifying' my existing seals then I would have assumed that they would have just booked my car in for it to be done. Unless of course they were trying to make me think I was getting new seals to keep me happy but actually they were going to modify my original seals..... ? I would certainly hope not.

I will carefully mark my seals so I will know if they have been replaced or not.

Good job I did.

Well, I would like to copy here my emailed ‘Satisfaction Report’ sent to my dealers head office but fear their solicitors are paid much more than I can afford to pay mine.

It all started so well on a visit, yes there were new seals, yes they would order them and have them fitted, yes there were new ones being developed by Skoda but not yet available, in the mean time we will replace yours under warranty. We’ll book your car in for next week.

I phoned them the following week and was told the seals were in stock ready to fit. Took the car in as arranged and went for a walk with the Mrs while they did the job of replacing my door seals.

Returned a few hours later with shopping and a slightly sick credit card.

“All done sir, sorry we could not clean it for you with the new seals fitted” We were a bit late so off we went. Next morning I thought let’s have a look. That’s funny I thought, the new seals come with exactly the same identification marks I made to my original seals, even down to being different on each side. Skoda again being Simply Clever, err maybe not. The only conclusion I could come to was they had not changed them at all. I looked underneath and saw 3 1” sections hacked out of the seals. Was I impressed? Like Hell I was.

A call to the Dealer Principle who was not as his desk  (lucky bu@@er) meant leaving a message that included words such as Lied, Conned and hopefully conveyed my impression of their service and their technician. I also mentioned I could have done the same job in less than 5 mins per side. :swear:

I got a call from the Service Manager who did not understand what had occurred, the seals were there to be fitted, so I asked why they were not fitted but he did not have an answer as the technician was not in that day. I asked if the job card showed what the job was, fit new seals or hack the customers old ones and hope the old fool would not spot he was being conned into thinking they had been replaced? He’d look into it and get back to me.

The error was blamed on the technician who, for whatever reason ignored the job card, the fact that new seals were reserved for my car and waiting to be fitted and got his knife out instead.

So, another wasted trip to the dealers, only this time to have the seals vandalized and now I have to make another trip to get the job done properly.

Just thought you’d like an update…… :rofl:

The Saga continues.......

• Like 1

Yep. Ask them how they intend to compensate for your wasted trips and phone calls. They have messed you about too long.

If they decline any form of compensation, make sure they are aware that their name will be plastered around, and not in a good way. Plus let them know they will be losing loads of business from friends and family. They don't need to know it May be untrue.

As reported earlier in the thread my seals were "modified" rather than new parts being fitted.

This involves a couple of extra holes rather than an 3x 1" sections taken away.

Initially I was dissapointed because they didnt fit new seals.

However, after nearly a month & a trip to the carwash every week to wash off the winter salt & grime I am pretty happy with my repair.

There is no water collection in either door & no signs of water ingress from the outside even after pressure washing.

Thanks guys, just so happens JungleJames we did buy two cars from them, Octavia and Rapid Spaceback both new. Through myself they sold a new Citigo and a Fabia Estate to friends, plus they sold my wifes P/X'd Jazz and my Avensis Estate. I reckon that's 6 sales!! Perhaps I should ask for a job.

Name and Shame is very, very tempting, however I do not as yet want to alienate them to the point that we no longer talk to one another, We still need our car's serviced and they are the nearest, the next being some way away.

The Service Manger said that he would 'think of something' as way of compensation. But really all I want is to know is that they will do a proper job, at the moment I am not sure I trust them to change a fuse let alone work on my engine and brakes!

I, as a customer having filled in a 'Satisfaction Report'  with the information I did, would expect to receive some sort of response from their head office. I will give them a week or so then pursue the matter with the MD or CEO. As I have documented all from ordering to the latest screw-up am able to prove the problems and the dealers replies so these can be printed and sent to SUK, whether that would do any good or not I am not sure based on some of SUK's poor support of customer problems reported here.

Car booked in for 1st service and new seals early April.

Edited by ajw1100

• 2 weeks later...

See x3 files attached

1 Outside of car showing the water run off

2 Outside of seal, note the holes are located near to the bottom of the seal (@ approx 5 O'Clock)

3 Inside of seal, note the holes are not as far apart when compared to the outside holes, also they are located at approx 9 O'Clock on the seal

Hi @GAFF

I have a 2013 MK3 Octavia and my problem is getting worse. If I park down hill water leak inside of the car under rains. see the attached pics.

Can you just mark the holes in your pics via Paint/photoshop as I can't see where are the outer holes exactly. As my 2 year warranty is over last year, I want to try to repair it my self as shown in your pics.

Thanks,

Rahman

sag2.jpg

sag1.jpg

sol2.jpg

sol1.jpg

Hi @GAFF

I have a 2013 MK3 Octavia and my problem is getting worse. If I park down hill water leak inside of the car under rains. see the attached pics.

Can you just mark the holes in your pics via Paint/photoshop as I can't see where are the outer holes exactly. As my 2 year warranty is over last year, I want to try to repair it my self as shown in your pics.

Thanks,

Rahman

sag2.jpg

sag1.jpg

sol2.jpg

sol1.jpg

Your seal set-up is different, Mk3 Seal is on the door, the Mk2 seal is on the sill.

Your seal set-up is different, Mk3 Seal is on the door, the Mk2 seal is on the sill.

Why do you thing my car is different? I have Mk3 octavia not mk2. My car have seals both on door and on sill.

Edited by rduran

I'm not sure there will ever be a proper fix for this, I think the "double" seal is what causes the problem. Cutting small sections of the seal away from the door rubbers to unblock the drain holes works to some extent but when the door is shut, the water is still trapped by the rubber fitted to the sill, especially for some reason when the car is parked on a downward slope. My April 13 build O3 went back for modifications a couple of times, but they never replaced the seals, in the end I just lived with it. I only had one major incidence of water getting inside the cabin, that was after it being parked on a down slope for over two weeks during winter storms, and more recently, after a quick wash, forgot to open the doors, next morning it had frozen solid, could not get the doors open without excessive force, found large chunk of ice on the sill around the rubbers. I now have the perfect solution, next Wed it will be taken to a BMW garage as trade in against a 520d!

I'm not sure there will ever be a proper fix for this, I think the "double" seal is what causes the problem. Cutting small sections of the seal away from the door rubbers to unblock the drain holes works to some extent but when the door is shut, the water is still trapped by the rubber fitted to the sill, especially for some reason when the car is parked on a downward slope. My April 13 build O3 went back for modifications a couple of times, but they never replaced the seals, in the end I just lived with it. I only had one major incidence of water getting inside the cabin, that was after it being parked on a down slope for over two weeks during winter storms, and more recently, after a quick wash, forgot to open the doors, next morning it had frozen solid, could not get the doors open without excessive force, found large chunk of ice on the sill around the rubbers. I now have the perfect solution, next Wed it will be taken to a BMW garage as trade in against a 520d!

Only to find after the first downpour that Billy suffers from the same. Trapped waters!!!!

I got my seals changed (ooo errr), and apart from a wet footwrll after a long period of being parked, I don't have water splashing out at all anymore. The wet footwell is a worry though. What caused it if there is no longer a problem with the seals.

Edited by JungleJames

Only to find after the first downpour that Billy suffers from the same. Trapped waters!!!!

Don't be saying that as I've ordered one too! But then my new seals seem to have fixed the problem now and it's been fine since.

Don't be saying that as I've ordered one too! But then my new seals seem to have fixed the problem now and it's been fine since.

Another Billy!! Sure to keep a smile on your face during your drives!!!

Why do you thing my car is different? I have Mk3 octavia not mk2. My car have seals both on door and on sill.

Sorry I misread your post thinking you had a Mk2.

My 2 week old VRS doesn't seem to do this. I should check the seals. However I got an impressive shower bath earlier today when I opened the boot, wtf!!

Ditto that 2 weeks old 2 cold showers - saves washing though!

My front doors do hold some water in the seals after heavy rain or washing the car but the rear two must be holding some moisture in them too as any time there is the slightest frost it is rather a struggle to open either of these doors at all, whilst at the same time I try to open the fuel flap to get out the ice scraper and it is usually frozen solid too! You'd think they'd manage to get at least that part right otherwise it could be kind of difficult to get fuel into it on a lot of days. Plus one of the rear seals is actually sticking a bit out beyond the door at present, can't seem to get it to go back into place.

Funny that my Seat Leon used to do this in exactly the same place. That was a 2002 model though, but they were well known for it.

I washed mine this weekend and noticed it for the first time since having it. Not a huge amount but definitely obvious that it;s holding it under the seal.

Edited by Mallettsmallett

Our drive slopes a fair bit and my Mk3 VRS Wagon is usually parked nose down...after rain I get the water collecting between the seals on the front doors.

Asked the dealer if they could resolve, they spoke to Skoda NZ and apparently some upgraded seals have been ordered in for me...expecting a month or so though to arrive. In the meantime I can live with it - the interior is staying dry and we are unlikely to have a freeze here any time soon!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been into the dealers this morning and had a chat with the lad that sold me the car. I mentioned the door seals holding in water and he said "that's normal, they're all like that." I laughed and told him I'm not happy about having wet feet every time it's been raining and he/the service guys agreed to look into the updated seals - fingers crossed - When it goes in for the check I'll make sure to give it a once-over with the hosepipe beforehand :)