frifall's 2012 Superb Combi 170 TDI

frifall

Oh boy, isn't VCDS a wonderful thing?

Got some help today from a man who has one, and these are the results:

-Turn off tailgate bleeping when remote opening? Check.

-Enable remote closing of tailgate? Check.

-Use fogs for coming home/leaving home? Check.

-Show cruise control speed on maxidot? Applied, but doesn't seem to work. Tried factory resetting maxidot, no go. Will se what happens when the car has been still for a couple of hours.

-Automatic closing of windows in case of rain? Was already applied and is in Maxidot. Works like a charm.

One interesting thing though, is that this evening I can't fold the mirrors in from the remote anymore. It worked today after the VCDS-reprogramming, but since then, it has stopped working. The only thing I have done since is the maxidot factory reset... Any takers on what that could be?

Also, since the photos I posted earlier don't seem to work, I will post them again here.

Hi.

i'm interested on how you fixed: Use fogs for coming home/leaving home?

I also know one with a one but don't know where to change this...

//Alex from Malmö Sweden :-)

Hej Alex!

This is where I did the CH/LH via fogs:

09 - Central Electric
Byte 17
Bit 3 - Check

You also need to have the function activated via the Maxidot-display.

Lycka till!

Hi.

i'm interested on how you fixed: Use fogs for coming home/leaving home?

I also know one with a one but don't know where to change this...

//Alex from Malmö Sweden :-)

• Like 1

Hej Alex!

This is where I did the CH/LH via fogs:

09 - Central Electric
Byte 17
Bit 3 - Check

You also need to have the function activated via the Maxidot-display.

Lycka till!

Thnx!

BTW, hur fick du svensk meny i maxidot? Min är en 2011 och kan inte välja svenska???

//Alex

• 2 weeks later...

No. nothing like that. I just got tired of the lights looking like crap being chipped by stones.

I have now started sanding and polishing them, have done one of the fogs and the results are very nice!

(Polished light on the left...)

post-135906-0-68545500-1451548682_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from being busy polishing my headlights and fog lights on my christmas vacation, I did a few other things...

Two of my rims were a bit scuffed, one in particular. So I tried to refurbish them myself! Bought some good filler, tried to find some matching spray paint and some clear coat, took out my sanding papers and started sanding...

post-135906-0-49314900-1453561090_thumb.jpg

Here is what the wheel looked like after sanding and filling was done. Now it was time to paint.

post-135906-0-48096800-1453561095_thumb.jpg

After 4 or 5 coats of paint, this is what the wheel looked like.

post-135906-0-89307400-1453561099_thumb.jpg

And here is the result. One of these wheels is the one I fixed, and the other is stock. Can you tell which is which? There is a bit of a difference in the paint job up close, mostly because the surface got all "prickly" after the last coat of paint. Didn't have time to wet sand it before I put on the clear coat, so I could probably have done a better job if I'd have had more time...

Still, I'm quite happy with the result. It looks a lot better than before, and didn't cost me more than about 20£ or so. Will have to see how the paint job fares over time, maybe I'll have to respray them sometime but, that'll be a later problem.

post-135906-0-72140900-1453561103_thumb.jpg

At the same time as I was doing the wheels, I also finally installed my rear view camera. Trying to route the cable discreetly was the biggest problem, other than that it went like a breeze! Here is the camera:

post-135906-0-00369900-1453561110_thumb.jpg

And here is what I see:

post-135906-0-88183600-1453561117_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, the camera is angled a bit too far down for my taste. I don't need to see my entire rear bumper! Luckily though, I have a friend with a 3D-printer, so I modeled up two different "spacers" in solidworks and had him print them for me. Haven't had the time to try them out yet, will report back when they are in place!

post-135906-0-64491500-1453561113_thumb.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the results. Even in the dark I get a good picture (will post one later), the only thing I would like is more wide-angle to see more to the sides! But hey, for the price of 13£, I won't complain! :)

wheels look really good!

have you got the links to the fillers/paints and clear coats you used?

Unfortunately no. It was just something I picked up at the local store in Finland.

The color is supposed to be "Audi Felgensilber Metallic", aka. L1H7. http://encycolorpedia.com/c4c7c7 This isn't what I got though. The guy in the shop claimed that all metallic silver rims are the same color, and even though I didn't believe him, they did look very similar and they are very close so. Who knows.

For filler I just used some two component metal filler.

Gave the car a thorough wash tonight, and at the same time I decided to fit the plastic "shim" my buddy had 3D-printed for me and my rear view camera. Now, the camera sits at an almost perfect angle! I would like to see even a little less of the bumper, but it's nearly spot on. I think I'll be happy with this. :)

If you were to draw a rectangle around the car, touching the edges of the sides and the front and back bumper, the corners of the rectangle are pretty much exactly where the lower corners of what my camera sees. So even though I initially thought it wasn't such a wide angle, it indeed is! It really shows you what is behind your car.

post-135906-0-90207000-1453759426_thumb.jpg

post-135906-0-18584400-1453759431_thumb.jpg

Edited by frifall
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Excellent work!!!! A very interesting read, so thanks.

I tried LEDs similar to your in the park lights and I think I started to melt the reflector. How are yours looking?

Matt

Thank you!

Yeah, I've noticed a slight discoloration of the reflector straight above the LED. We haven't had more than +5°C here since I put them in though, so will have to see what happens when we get summer here.

On a side note: the LEDs I put in didn't match the fogs, they were all too blue, so I bought a new pair that matches the fogs a lot better and the car now looks heaps better! This might only be apparent when locking/unlocking the car (the only time when fogs and parking lights are the only lights on), but the devil is in the details so! :)

• Like 1