Skoda Octavia 1.4 tsi

Hi all I've recently purchased a Octavia on a 12 plate 27000 miles on the clock. Couple of questions first of all how difficult is it to change the oil and filter. Next service will be the 4 th year one. What should be changed at this service interval. And how much should I pay cheers.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Shouldn't be that hard, but then you said how much is it so are you planning on doing yourself or paying a garage? Want to keep Skoda service history? Most garages would be an hours labour i expect plus the parts, £60-80. National tyres do very cheap oil changes with supposedly good oil, but use them at your own risk (good and bad reviews)

Yes planning on keeping the service history up to date. Just want to do a oil change every 5000 because I do a lot of short stop start driving. Looked at national tyres seems cheap but I'm not sure I trust there workmanship. What's the access like for the sump plug is there a undertray to remove.

Hi all I've recently purchased a Octavia on a 12 plate 27000 miles on the clock. Couple of questions first of all how difficult is it to change the oil and filter. Next service will be the 4 th year one. What should be changed at this service interval. And how much should I pay cheers.

Be careful doing it yourself, the oil filter can be fitted incorrectly , damage the non return valve and cause cam chain tensioner problems because of oil draining back. If the dealer can tell you have done this you won't get any goodwill if you have tensioner/chain/alternator(just below) problems in the future whether caused by this or not. These engines have had chain/tensioner problems in the past (especially twin charger which yours isn't and/or some early 2009/10 versions) and there have been revisions over the life of the engine.

I have the same engine in my Superb and it's been great thus far

Edited by bigjohn

Thanks useful information john. Quick question does your engine sound tappetty for a second or two on a cold start up. Is this normal only had the car a month.

This is normal for a second or two, any more is not

Edited by bigjohn

Had the engine rattle looked at by the main dealer and it's not good. Needs a new timing chain! Only done 27 k it's a good job im on the ball otherwise engine would have destroyed itself. Also had them look at the aircon which wasn't working. Guess what needs a condenser. Thought Octavias were good reliable motors ? I traded my Honda civic in for this!

OK thanks

on another note took the car on a 500 mile trip over the weekend weather was horrendous the car was great very stable in the high winds and heavy rain.

Had a similar experience this weekend driving back Monday over the Pennines, was mildly terrifying to put it lightly...Car was however brilliant and glad I was driving that and not one of my previous cars (2000 Honda HRV/2007 Mazda 3)

Edited by Korvus

I don't think the timing chain on the single charged 1.4 tsi  is a known weak point (unlike the twin charged 1.4) however the condenser is quite open to stone damage.

Fortunately the timing chain hadn't gone completely and once you have a new condenser you might want to add some protection to it. There are two options, a genuine stone guard or fit your own mesh behind the lower grill. There is more information and part numbers here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/313189-air-con-radiator-protecter-skoda-part/

I went for the latter with a black aluminium mesh that should give the condenser a chance of survival :)

Thanks will ask the mechanic working on the car what caused to condenser to fail. Will fit the mesh I think could save me spending in the future as I plan to keep this car for a long time.

Suppose I could look on the bright side I know it's had a new timing chain fitted.