Car leaking - gearbox wet

5 hours ago, Furbypd1000 said:

What do you mean by this?

Currently trying to find an oil leak thats contaminated my clutch.

On some diesels with the  6 speed box/ Sachs clutch and concentric slave cylinder the clutch cover plate has been known to start failing with one of the spring leaves protruding and as there is no clutch operating arm (concentric slave instead) this starts machining through the gearbox casing inside the bell housing:-

You need to identify what fluid is leaking (brake/clutch fluid, gearbox oil or engine oil) - you sholuld be able to identify by the colour/feel.

If yours is the 5 speed 1.9 pd fabia then I suspect that it has an external clutch slave cylinder (visible outside of the gearbox on top) so it won't be clutch fluid. Think the concentric clutch is fitted to the 6 speed VRS diesel though.

You could also have an oil seal failure on the gearbox or the engine crank shaft (check oil breathing - if blocked can blow oil past seals!)

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

On some diesels with the  6 speed box/ Sachs clutch and concentric slave cylinder the clutch cover plate has been known to start failing with one of the spring leaves protruding and as there is no clutch operating arm (concentric slave instead) this starts machining through the gearbox casing inside the bell housing:-

You need to identify what fluid is leaking (brake/clutch fluid, gearbox oil or engine oil) - you sholuld be able to identify by the colour/feel.

If yours is the 5 speed 1.9 pd fabia then I suspect that it has an external clutch slave cylinder (visible outside of the gearbox on top) so it won't be clutch fluid. Think the concentric clutch is fitted to the 6 speed VRS diesel though.

You could also have an oil seal failure on the gearbox or the engine crank shaft (check oil breathing - if blocked can blow oil past seals!)

Yep its a 5 speed box, I asked cause i noticed this inside my gearbox and have no clue what could cause it.

Thanks for the info. 

20170909_200011.jpg

29 minutes ago, Furbypd1000 said:

Yep its a 5 speed box, I asked cause i noticed this inside my gearbox and have no clue what could cause it.

Thanks for the info. 

20170909_200011.jpg

Coverplate failing! - The bit "eroded" is a bit that sticks out beyond the clutch arm. Do you still have access to the old cover plate?

Presuming you've changed the cover plate you may have ducked a bullet

Edited by bigjohn
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Coverplate failing! - The bit "eroded" is a bit that sticks out beyond the clutch arm. Do you still have access to the old cover plate?

Presuming you've changed the cover plate you may have ducked a bullet

Yeah still got all the old parts so can take more pictures if need be, just waiting on new clutch kit being delivered.

I have also got my own thread about this problem if your interested in taking a look.

25 minutes ago, Furbypd1000 said:

Yeah still got all the old parts so can take more pictures if need be, just waiting on new clutch kit being delivered.

I have also got my own thread about this problem if your interested in taking a look.

Ah indeed - If your cover plate starts to fail then less spring force is applied to the cover plate/friciton plate/flywheel "sandwich" - this would cause slip under load. Think you have a clue in the bit of metal machined out of your gearbox

[EDIT[Looking at the latest post in the other  thread you'd need really really bad crankshaft float to cause this wear and float woudn't cause clutch slip. 

Edited by bigjohn