coming from DSG to ASG - disappointment?

wesleyuk

hi 

one day i will downgrade from my fabia vrs with dsg gearbox in the future

i decided citigo will be the next car as i had the citigo as courtesy car for 2 weeks when skoda fitting the new engine in vrs. i loved the citigo very much. 

the best thing in vrs is the DSG gearbox. 

i have not drove the citigo asg before, no point ask for a test drive yet. 

so anybody who came from DSG to ASG gearbox..........are you disappointed or ? 

cheers

• Like 1

I came to the Citigo from a mk2 vRS Fabia, and never saw it as a "downgrade" - the Citigo has all the directness and feel lacking in the Fabia, albeit without the power. I never looked back in now nearly 3 years of Citigo ownership.

Having said that, I've only heard bad things about the ASG.

Charlie

wesleyuk, 

i only drive autos because of disability and have for decades, i have tried or owned almost every type of gearbox over several decades, 

CVT, Servomatic, Geartronic, Speedgear etc etc. Nothing have i really disliked.  (My favourite CVT was in a Toyota iQ)

IMO the ASG is just terrible.

No excuse for how bad they are really.

Best go drive one,

then maybe look at and try a drive in a New Fabia or Seat Ibiza with a 7 Speed DSG.

i'll have the test drive but not yet. i just wanted to know whats people's finding on the ASG gearbox. 

if ASG gearbox is really that bad then i'll get manual citigo but i'd prefer to have auto car for lazy drive. 

is that you george? 

Yip. lol.

Had computer & Email account issues, so no PM's just now.

Best try driving one and see what you think and report back.

It took me months to get my hands on one, then i had to try another to see just that the first was not faulty.

george

I was looking at a Citigo Monte at a dealers this morning - quite liked it (no stripes thankfully) - if Skoda launched one with a bit more oomph (nothing major, say 100PS) I'd be tempted.

I went from an old type auto to a ASG, the main car then was a Toyota CVT, which we've switched to a DSG, the ASG certainly has its quirks, but it does what it needs to,if you want to drive with more control then you have the manual option.

DSG gearboxes are totally different from ASGs. I like to think of ASGs as literally a manual gearbox with an automatic shifter... DSG's are something altogether better. ASG will feel strange. But in a car like a Citigo, there's no need for a DSG. It should be fine, but your best bet is to test-drive an ASG Citigo/Up/Mii to see, before buying. 

• Like 1

hi 

one day i will downgrade from my fabia vrs with dsg gearbox in the future

i decided citigo will be the next car as i had the citigo as courtesy car for 2 weeks when skoda fitting the new engine in vrs. i loved the citigo very much. 

the best thing in vrs is the DSG gearbox. 

i have not drove the citigo asg before, no point ask for a test drive yet. 

so anybody who came from DSG to ASG gearbox..........are you disappointed or ? 

cheers

I would have to say 99% of peoples negative attitude to ASG gearbox is generally the understanding of its operation and that they experience histoically differing automatic gearbox arrangements.

We've had our ASG Citigo for nearly 2 years and driving has been excellent and better than other ASG with other manufactures.

If you currently have a DSG then you WILL find the ASG different, the DSG is a much larger and heavier gearbox also which wouldn't suit the Citigo philosophy of low weight etc...

In the Citigo the ASG complements it very well, and if you enjoy driving your cars you would find 3rd and 4th gear to be very exciting based on the very well engineered setup with the engine revs as the 1.0L engine is very very good.

Do not have a 15min test drive is my only advice, push the dealer for 48hours so you can get used to the ASG gearbox

Out of interest, we waited 5 months for our ASG citigo from the factory im not sure what the new wait would be like,

But in a car like a Citigo, there's no need for a DSG. It should be fine, but your best bet is to test-drive an ASG Citigo/Up/Mii to see, before buying. 

This is clearly the best advice given on this thread about ASG.

A DSG is also a Automated Manual as are some other manufacturers Autoboxes which are Automated Manual.

You could say less sophisticated or less technically advanced, others might just say, cheap and not well engineered or 

with much modern technology involved in its design, manufacturing or software, VW needed a small Automated Manual Box and thought 'this will do for now'.

Just because there is no need for a DSG, that really does not excuse the 2nd largest passenger car manufacturer from turning out 

a second rate Automated Manual,

it does the job obviously, but thats about it, it changes gear or the driver can change gear and it is a 2 pedal car and people 

with Automatic Licences only can drive the Up!MiiCitigo.

The advice to get an extended licence is a good one, 

and if looking for a Used car with a ASG, do not take from the salesperson the 'Rare as Hens Teeth' etc, 

because you only want 1 car and they are not worth paying a premium for. IMO.

£5,000 will get you a Low Mileage 2012 or 2013.

a 65 plate Demonstrator with under 1,000 miles for under £10,000

& a Dealer is even possible a Dealer will give you a Trade in against a vRS Twincharger and give money your way, 

and that can not be said with many cars, but they might be pleased to get shot of a Up!MiiCitigo ASG.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

I came to the ASG in a Citigo 75 Elegance from a normal automatic Hyundai Amica.

The ASG is different, but if you treat it correctly it works fine.

I find that keeping pressure on the accelerator is essential unless you are slowing (obviously!). It does not like pressure, then a sudden removal of it when at low speed, e.g. at a junction where you approach in 2nd, slow more to check road & the gearbox is not sure whether it can cope in 2nd so drops to 1st but then has to a change up immediately. 

Overall I do not find it a problem. I use an auto simply because in towns/traffic it makes life easier & certainly a lot more economical than a normal auto box.

• Like 1

I have a ASG and it is quirky, but for lazy driving it is great. Just sit back and press the pedals, yes it is not the smoothest, but then again it is in a CitiGo, not a Rolls Royce, it is far better than other manufacturers ASG's as well.

• Like 1

Out of interest, we waited 5 months for our ASG citigo from the factory im not sure what the new wait would be like,

I waited about 3 months as I wanted the cruise control/parking sensors pack, I think they had them available in asg format if I wanted a vanilla one, this was march this year.

As you've said, if they'd fitted a dsg or something else then weight/fuel economy, tax and cost (iirc I paid about £500 for the auto) would all have taken a hit, one of the options I looked at was a micra with the cvt box, but fuel economy nowhere near as good as the asg cars.

I waited about 3 months as I wanted the cruise control/parking sensors pack, I think they had them available in asg format if I wanted a vanilla one, this was march this year.

As you've said, if they'd fitted a dsg or something else then weight/fuel economy, tax and cost (iirc I paid about £500 for the auto) would all have taken a hit, one of the options I looked at was a micra with the cvt box, but fuel economy nowhere near as good as the asg cars.

Although CVT gearboxes have improved....... I hate them...... all that reving of the engine as the elastic bands work...... its witch craft :D

We waited the factory time as our Citigo has everything ticked....... but the electric sunroof. Also at this point (2014) the factory was in overload.

I have an ASG, I also have another couple of cars with various types of torque convertor autos and I have driven a number of DSGs. 

The ASG in the Citigo is slightly better than the auto in the old style Smart.  It is slow, sometimes gets into the wrong gear for what you want, and can need a bit of a lift to smooth it out.  However, as has been said, for lazy driving it is just fine.  It makes the car much more efficient than a torque convertor auto and does;t have the massive weight penalty of a DSG and the like twin clutch set up. For me I'd prefer either a dual clutch or a torque convertor but neither suit small efficient cars.  Its a fine box for its purpose, it just does;t have a wide breadth of abilities.

• Like 1

I have an ASG, I also have another couple of cars with various types of torque convertor autos and I have driven a number of DSGs. 

The ASG in the Citigo is slightly better than the auto in the old style Smart.  It is slow, sometimes gets into the wrong gear for what you want, and can need a bit of a lift to smooth it out.  However, as has been said, for lazy driving it is just fine.  It makes the car much more efficient than a torque convertor auto and does;t have the massive weight penalty of a DSG and the like twin clutch set up. For me I'd prefer either a dual clutch or a torque convertor but neither suit small efficient cars.  Its a fine box for its purpose, it just does;t have a wide breadth of abilities.

Probably the best, most finely measured and concise, response to the ASG question I have yet read on Briskoda. Great post my friend :)