Budget lowering, coilovers or springs?

AdamOP94

I have the standard spring/shocks AP kit and its very good.

Removes a large amount of the arch gap, provides a nice stance and rides pretty good.

Much better than dirt cheap coilovers from what i've read.

I have these too.  Good option for not much money.  I was worried only paying £250 for a suspension kit.  Wouldn't touch the JOMs with a proverbial barge pole personally based on comments in this thread .......

I have these too.  Good option for not much money.  I was worried only paying £250 for a suspension kit.  Wouldn't touch the JOMs with a proverbial barge pole personally based on comments in this thread .......

Are you basically saying you would advise just springs and standard shocks over the £250 springs and shocks?

I've just received some Eibach pro springs for the Fabia 6y from Germany. They cost me £100 delivered.

They took 10 days to arrive. They are going on my Audi A2.

I got 4 x Bilstein B4 shocks from Demon Tweeks for £125 delivered.

So, you can do it on the cheap, if you're willing to look for the bargains.

• Like 1

H&R on group buy a while ago was £100+ ish....bargain (like Eibach if a bit more agressive on looks/drop). Plus replaced shocks with standard sachs from ebuyer for very cheap too (I was approaching 100k so felt it was getting necessary).

Sorted my Fabia for all round apart from initial fitment teething troubles (probably as much my fault as anything as it was DIY on the fronts and in haste managed to get a bump stop wrong way around....fixed).

I'd rather go good cheap springs than bad coilover suspension from what I've heard of the cheap coilovers

Check Demon Tweeks on EBay for the Bilstein B4 shockers. I imagine the Fabia shockers will be the same price as my A2 ones.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Demon-Tweeks-Direct?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The Eibach springs are from Germany. I paid 134 Euro for them delivered. I will post either a link or the company name, when I get chance to.

Edited by freakyeke

Most people I've encountered with JOMs get tired of the ride within n a couple of months and having to replace them after a year due to failures.

Personally I wouldn't touch them and allow a little more APs or similar

• Like 1

Check Demon Tweeks on EBay for the Bilstein B4 shockers. I imagine the Fabia shockers will be the same price as my A2 ones.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Demon-Tweeks-Direct?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

The Eibach springs are from Germany. I paid 134 Euro for them delivered. I will post either a link or the company name, when I get chance to.

I got the springs from here:

http://www.duw-tuner.de/

Sounds good, get some 25mm lowering springs and take plenty of pictures so i can see if its what i want on mine :)

Will be doing  35/30mm ones, the gap standard is like riding a horse, say 50-60mm between tyre and arch.

• 1 year later...
On 12/9/2015 at 15:58, freakyeke said:

I got the springs from here:

http://www.duw-tuner.de/

Sorry to 'necro' this thread, but I've just seen this link and I'm undecided on whether it's worth buying a 'static' AP setup, or going for the B4s and Pro Kit load out. I'm buying an 07 reg Mk1 Fabia estate (1.9 Tdi) on Saturday - which springs would I need to buy from this site? Comfort is a must! Many thanks.

EDIT: Here's the B4s I found:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-B4-Full-Kit-4x-Shock-Damper-SKODA-FABIA-Combi-6Y5-00-07-1-9-TDI-/231302160098?hash=item35daaedee2:g:ub0AAOSwa81XRqjK&clk_rvr_id=1172795818966&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

It depends on your front (VA) and rear (HA) axle weights. Check your VIN plate/sticker to determine what the weights are and find something to suit.

I bought some Bilstein B6's recently from a German online shop. They were cheap and they were delivered within 3 days. I have had a look there and found the following Eibach Pro springs for a Fabia 1.9 TDi combi:

https://www.auto-trend.net/auto/-Tieferlegungsfedern/Eibach Federn/Skoda/Fabia-/index.html?c=14379&pId=195134.DK.E10-79-001-02-22.FABIA-6Y-COMBI

These work out at approx £120 delivered. Which is a big saving on UK prices. The Eibach springs are quite soft and very comfortable. Although, I didn't like the Bilstein B4's on my Audi A2 as I found them too soft to go with the Eibach springs and updated them to Bilstein B8's, which were superb with the Eibach's and completely transformed the car. You might like them though as they are an OEM replacement. You could look into Monroe Reflex or Koni FSD or indeed Bilstein B6/B8 too.

Edited by freakyeke
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, freakyeke said:

It depends on your front (VA) and rear (HA) axle weights. Check your VIN plate/sticker to determine what the weights are and find something to suit.

I bought some Bilstein B6's recently from a German online shop. They were cheap and they were delivered within 3 days. I have had a look there and found the following Eibach Pro springs for a Fabia 1.9 TDi combi:

https://www.auto-trend.net/auto/-Tieferlegungsfedern/Eibach Federn/Skoda/Fabia-/index.html?c=14379&pId=195134.DK.E10-79-001-02-22.FABIA-6Y-COMBI

These work out at approx £120 delivered. Which is a big saving on UK prices. The Eibach springs are quite soft and very comfortable. Although, I didn't like the Bilstein B4's on my Audi A2 as I found them too soft to go with the Eibach springs and updated them to Bilstein B8's, which were superb with the Eibach's and completely transformed the car. You might like them though as they are an OEM replacement. You could look into Monroe Reflex or Koni FSD or indeed Bilstein B6/B8 too.

Many thanks. So the springs that you have linked to will fit my car? (I know you've listed as such, but I always buy the wrong things!) Just how soft/comfortable are the Bilstein's for daily driving? I'm not after a track car, just trying to make it look a little less like a roller skate! (Whilst transporting round my little boy and my Wife!) I have a budget of around £250. 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

Oops, double post! Very sorry. I've just had a look on the Bilstein online catalogue and they list several versions of the B4s - ones for use with sports suspension and other for normal springs. Which do I go for? (I've also double-checked the Pro-Kit and they're spot on - good find, freaky) 

http://www.bilstein.com/sg/products/search-service/online-catalogue/

Capture.JPG

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

On ‎2015‎-‎12‎-‎06 at 23:34, AdamOP94 said:

Define bouncy? I'll probably got for the AP £256 because you guys know what you're on about, but I don't think I'd have an issue with this lack of quality drive using JOMS, anyone in the midlands got some and can take me for a test drive haha!?

dont have much exp. with joms but tried cars with other budget coil brands and my thought is to rather buy performance spring/damper kits if you still want traction.

is it just ride height your after go for the cheapest!

many coil brands have a recomended ride heigt and if you go under it they might fail. often blewn gaskets..

Think I will chime in,  I spent a crazy amount on my Vrs working on the engine etc  final thing was suspension and brakes before it went back on the road.

Now I was in same boat,  money was pretty much gone on everything else.  I was gifted a brand new Fk coilover set and although it came with drop links I fitted mondeo ones.  Dropped it 40mm roughly.

It was to run them for 12 - 18 months and then get better ones.  However maybe because I havnt gone crazy low and maybe because I did top mounts bearings and the fact FK have helper springs I was shocked at the ride.  I expected to lose my teeth.  The ride was smooth and the bang jolt of the standard suspension was no more.  It was like driving a different car...  Now I did go to town doing the job correctly but even so the difference has made me forget replacing them after 18 months..   So for me the ride is shockingly good for the price paid by my pal.

I am sure however that if I wound them down so my tyres were in the arches then it would be crashy.

• Like 1

Sorry blatant ad for my springs, I have H&R 30mm springs still for sale.

Personally I prefer the comfort of standard over the look of dropped, plus more practicality of not worrying how you drive. Or hassle over how to insure.

But the car does look good with the drop ( even better combined with bigger alloys like Spiders etc), and doesn't hurt the handling either.

Edited by vRSAnt

On 3/3/2017 at 11:22, Graffiti said:

Think I will chime in,  I spent a crazy amount on my Vrs working on the engine etc  final thing was suspension and brakes before it went back on the road.

Now I was in same boat,  money was pretty much gone on everything else.  I was gifted a brand new Fk coilover set and although it came with drop links I fitted mondeo ones.  Dropped it 40mm roughly.

It was to run them for 12 - 18 months and then get better ones.  However maybe because I havnt gone crazy low and maybe because I did top mounts bearings and the fact FK have helper springs I was shocked at the ride.  I expected to lose my teeth.  The ride was smooth and the bang jolt of the standard suspension was no more.  It was like driving a different car...  Now I did go to town doing the job correctly but even so the difference has made me forget replacing them after 18 months..   So for me the ride is shockingly good for the price paid by my pal.

I am sure however that if I wound them down so my tyres were in the arches then it would be crashy.

Well now, this post has thrown a spanner in the works. I'm surprised that the FK's are that comfortable. They seem a good price, too (Around £175 for my Fabby estate) What are top mount bearings? I'm having a bit of a mare with my Fabia, as the suspension has started squeaking, due to the heavy rain today (any suggestions?) so I might be buying other suspension components, rather than just the B4 dampers and Pro-kit springs, so money's tighter than before, so if I can save money......

So I can buy this set of springs (Thanks freaky):

And pair them with these B4s (These are correct for the Pro-Kit springs, as I checked:

"Yes the sports version are correct for your car and would be a better match to the Eibach springs. You can find them here;"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bilstein-4x-B4-Full-Kit-Absorbers-Dampers-High-OEM-Quality-22-196309-19-196312-/231491051781?hash=item35e5f12105

This will come out at around £285. I would also like to replace the console bushes (with whatever kit I go for), as well:

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/ibiza-cupra-uprated-console-bushes-for-vw-polo-skoda-fabia-and-seat-ibiza.html

Are these correct for the 1.9 estate? Would they cause the squeaking to stop? Would I need the drop links and top mounts, as well? 

Now, on the FK side of things.......

https://www.fk-shop.de/en/Tuning/Suspension-Tuning/Coilovers/Coilover-AK-Street-Skoda-Fabia-Typ-6Y-Yr-2007-2010.html#description

Are these the right ones? (Only one listing for the Mk1 Fabia......)

And bear in mind, I'm 39 in June, I have a young family, and my Fabby estate is my 'daily driver' I just want a little sportier look, with better handling and ride. Not to have my teeth smashed out on every bump! I hat getting old! 

Many, many thanks in advance :)