00705 - Relay for Coolant Fan; Stage 1 (J279) 31-00 - Open or Short to Ground

Should be able to just unplug that connector and ground pin 3 to test whether it's a wiring fault (fans should come on at low speed as long as everything is plugged in at the fan control module). Alternatively, buzz out whether it makes it all the way to pin 5 of the 6-way at the fan module.

My money is on the wire, rather than the 'tronics.

Yeah, me too, as the car is old, rust and wires seems to be the number 1 fault cause  :yawn:

But oops, it seems like the HVAC module is not so easy to get behind!

It seems only possible to push him back, not out.

IXqqIFMl.jpg

How could I do to get to the connector?

Do I need to get all the bottom front panel off by unscrewing everything I can?

Following on from something in another thread, have a look at (blade) fuse number 11 in the battery box fuse tray, that's the permanent 12V feed for the coil of relay J279. You say you checked them all in an earlier post, but double-checking is so easy.

Edited by Wino

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys!!

I solved it! 

On my Polo 6r, 1.2 Petrol, 2010, CGPB cod motor, i got this Fault. 

At the first i lose some money buying new J293 (Relay Module Fan), New V7, Fan radiator. But the Fault still pop up on VCDS and the Fan running on High speed. 

And the cause was an broken wire from the T6v (6 pin connector) is located and comes in on the J293 (relay fan controller) and the pin 1 was broken. 

Well, try not to make my mistake  and throw money to change the fan and the relay!!!! Check wiring and fuses!

Thanks!

• Like 3

Hello!

I'm happy for you!

How was the wire broken?

Inside the connector? A few centimeters from it? Just at direct proximity?

Because the connector is accessible by removing the front left fog light, but I didn't see something the last time I checked it.

Hi,

I don't know the model and brand of your car to say exactly what you have to take out to have access on relay module fan j293. But on my polo 6r 2010 car I have to take out the left headlight, the battery, plastic support battery and then I was  able to have access to wires and see the Relay J293 with this 2  connectors, the t4v and t6v. 

Well, on the  small 6 pin connectors (t6v) right  behind the connector pin at 1-2cm i see the broken wire.

But hey! This is not a  rule that applies for everyone, you may have the broken wire in another place, you have to test the cables with a  multimeter and "call" wires from 6pin to (3tH) pin connector F18,radiator fan thermoswitch.

You have to hear the beep sound  every times when you take the cables in short (with te multimiters  Device) if no beep heard well thats the cable broken!!! And then you have to take all the isolation out and search it! 

If all cables ar good then you have to find the broken fuse, located on your battery or inside the car the general fuse panel I guess is on 25...

Check the V7 Fan, take direct power from battery with some wires an use the plus and negativ direct on the 3 pin  connector and see if the high and low speed spins. For this test on high speed you have to connect the 1-3 pins and for low speed 1-2. 

But the fault says very clearly you don't have direct connection between termoswitch F18(t3H) and t6v relay fan module 6 pins, that cabel connect inside the relay and start the low speed ( J279)

In the last case you may have to change the j293 fan module relay. 

Thanks!