S3 2.0 TDI 150bhp MPG Thread

cruised home at 70 for 25 miles on the m5 last night. Acc set and in Eco mode. Road was totally empty so no real acceleration and very few hills. still only managed 46mpg. I reckon I've got a duff one.

It does sound low for that kInf o driving averaged 60 mpg on maxidot on a 300 mile round trip from brighton to the Midlands via m23,m25 and m40 and I certainly didn't keep to 70 all the way scc was set above that most of the way. Bit of slow traffic and start stop on the m25 and town driving at either end. More genreally I struggle to get less than 50 mpg 50-55 more typical for mixed driving. Manu ally calculating fill to fill is withing a couple of mpg. This is for a 150 tdi manual with 1700 miles and in normal mode.

cruised home at 70 for 25 miles on the m5 last night. Acc set and in Eco mode. Road was totally empty so no real acceleration and very few hills. still only managed 46mpg. I reckon I've got a duff one.

Doesn't sound so good, I hit nearly 10 more mpg than what you're quoting on a 60 mile journey from Staines to Amesbury mostly involving the M3 and A303, the latter being quite up and down. Admittedly the M3 has about 12 mile of 50mph restriction, but with ACC set to 50 and 70 respectively I got into the mid fifties for my 1.4 ACT 150 petrol engine.

Intriguingly a couple of days later I did a similar journey and set ACC to 65 and consumption was 5mpg worse. Maybe because the engine was working harder on the up hill bits of the 303? These figures were with driving mode set to Normal.

And like many I marvel at how good ACC is, well done to the VAG boffins who came up with the algorithms for the programming. Example, like not slowing down when a faster car pulls in front of you within your gap distance so long as that vehicle continues to pull away. Pity some of those same engineers and programmers decided to use their skills to fiddle emissions.... (Sorry strayed off topic.)

It does sound low for that kInf o driving averaged 60 mpg on maxidot on a 300 mile round trip from brighton to the Midlands via m23,m25 and m40 and I certainly didn't keep to 70 all the way scc was set above that most of the way. Bit of slow traffic and start stop on the m25 and town driving at either end. More genreally I struggle to get less than 50 mpg 50-55 more typical for mixed driving. Manu ally calculating fill to fill is withing a couple of mpg. This is for a 150 tdi manual with 1700 miles and in normal mode.

I dream of this. Even tried cruising on the m5 tonight at 55, , 15 miles, didn't break 55 once and barely had to brake and accelerate. 48.2mpg! It's got have been as close to perfect mpg conditions as is possible. Looked at my green score and was 98%.

When I drove my last golf 2.0tdi 110 like a rental car it still returned over 50mpg

I dream of this. Even tried cruising on the m5 tonight at 55, , 15 miles, didn't break 55 once and barely had to brake and accelerate. 48.2mpg! It's got have been as close to perfect mpg conditions as is possible. Looked at my green score and was 98%.

When I drove my last golf 2.0tdi 110 like a rental car it still returned over 50mpg

That does sound low.  I have had it nudge over 60mpg on a 40 mile run at 50mph. TDi 150PS manual estate.

As posted in the general MPG thread:

Our 150 TDI Manual 4x4 SE L Estate seems to be averaging around 42mpg according to Maxidot, with around 1300 miles on the clock.

That's mostly driven sensibly by my wife too.

Was expecting better - hoping it improves with some more miles, but there seem to be a wide range of figures being quoted on here, with some getting much better figures yet at lower mileages ?

I did my first decent run this morning, set acc to 70mph for 70 miles. Averaged 52mpg, plus I had my step ladders on the roof so I'm happy at that! It's just the city driving that kills it.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an update on my experience since my last post in Novemberish.

150dsg estate on 18” wheels. Total miles 2950. Average speed according to maxidot 33mph. ( I assume that is the long term figure?). Typical journeys are on local roads inc town centres and country lanes. Some long journeys of 300-400 miles on motorway/dual carriageway maybe once a month. Driving style ‘chilled out ol’ git. Not rushed but not slow’

Long term mpg is 50.1 by maxidot. I know some of you prefer fill to fill. I did a couple of fill to fill and the results were only 0.5-1.0 different from the maxidot so I can’t be bothered to do it anymore. (Constant error and all that jazz.)

I did a long journey today, 380 miles 95% motorway and dual carriageway, no significant traffic queues etc. And maxidot average was 51.6 going and 52.1 returning. ACC set at 70 (sssh five) on mway. That did surprise me a bit because I expected something higher given the results from my local journeys and the uninterrupted cruising nature of most of the journey.

1. For individual local journeys my average seems to be between 46-49 mpg or 90-93% of the published figure for urban:
  2. For the longer journeys I am obviously getting more than that to give my long term average of 50.1. So I could take today’s results, say 51.8mpg, which is 79% of the extra urban.
  3. The combined figure is not so easy to compare for obvious reasons but for interest the long term average of 50.1 works out at 83% of the combined figure.

I would say they all seem to be within expected parameters when comparing real world mpg to claimed mpg by manufacturers. ( see honestjohn and other sites where many marques fit into that variation range).

Next long journey I am going to avoid the use of ACC to see if it makes any difference. I wonder whether it is possible to improve mpg results when it is not used. It is after all only responding to speed demands at set parameters and that may not be the most fuel efficient approach in many situations.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

450 miles in - 80% urban 20% motorway. - long term 45.mpg which has included a lot of engine idle and short drives.  - this will be getting reset at 1000 miles.

Motorway run today of 75 miles. 54mpg.

388 Miles since refuel - 44mpg - average speed 24mph.

Will start tracking the MPG in greater detail once we hit 1000 miles.

(Figures all from Maxidot)

Edited by RickTT

450 miles in - 80% urban 20% motorway. - long term 45.mpg which has included a lot of engine idle and short drives. - this will be getting reset at 1000 miles.

Motorway run today of 75 miles. 54mpg.

388 Miles since refuel - 44mpg - average speed 24mph.

Will start tracking the MPG in greater detail once we hit 1000 miles.

(Figures all from Maxidot)

Not that different from mine then (although I've never got 54 on the motorway) but that's definitely because of my heavy right foot.

Have stuck super diesel in for the latest tank and am on approx 46mpg after half a tank. 4/5 mpg better than previous but not worth an extra £7/£8 a tank

Looking forward to this fabled summer diesel and seeing if that makes a difference.

After 2 weeks I am still on the original tank of fuel, done nearly 600 miles now. The first 300 was a couple of 60 mile dual carriageway runs, and the rest local running around. Today I did the second 300 with A12/M25/M25 relatively light traffic, averaging over 60MPG (indicated). Overall average showing about 48.

Previous Mark 2 170 would have averaged about 50 at best on this run, and about 40 overall.

Pic taken while I was stationary in traffic (UK readers will know this happens on M25. Using economy chassis settings, so ACC does not push the acceleration too hard.

post-12816-0-03514100-1460056597_thumb.jpg

Seeing over 60mpg on MaxiDot from motorway runs on ACC sticking to sensible speeds but not being overtaken all that often....

Average over 52mpg from first tank, 48mpg fill to fill. Suspect real number is between those.

Just gone over the 2000 mile mark now and had best commute run home yestarday 40 miles mostly on m25 /m26 and driving at about 60 mph and achieved 72 mpg. Expecting some better scores as it gets a little warmer and engine bedded in. I have to think ACC doesn't help since it tends to beak and accelerate a little harder and more often than I would as it is not as good as anticipating when to and when not to break. Really happy overall. Long term averaging 51mpg.

As with the Superb 2 I find the Superb 3 gets considerably worse mpg figures once you go continuously over 65mph on a motorway.

Recently did about 500 miles in Europe at a steady 80mph and averaged around 48 mpg though the car has only done about 1600 miles since new so it probably will get better mpg after about 5000 miles I think.

5800 miles in and brimmed it with super diesel(whatever the shell one is called). Big mpg improvement. Jumped up to 47.64 over the whole tank (Maxidot read 51.4) on the same type of driving as normal (motorway/ rural/ town) Previous best was 44mpg and that was based on 500 motorway miles at roughly the speed limit. Generally getting about 41/42 over a tank.

Filled it back up with normal diesel yesterday and after 100 miles it's dropped to 40mpg on the Maxidot.

Have also found that as soon as you creep above 70mph on the motorway the mpg really does plummet.

5800 miles in and brimmed it with super diesel(whatever the shell one is called). Big mpg improvement. Jumped up to 47.64 over the whole tank (Maxidot read 51.4) on the same type of driving as normal (motorway/ rural/ town) Previous best was 44mpg and that was based on 500 motorway miles at roughly the speed limit. Generally getting about 41/42 over a tank.

Filled it back up with normal diesel yesterday and after 100 miles it's dropped to 40mpg on the Maxidot.

Have also found that as soon as you creep above 70mph on the motorway the mpg really does plummet.

My long term at 500 miles in 42mpg on the maxi which only 70 miles have been in the motorway due to not been anywhere as such which I think is good really for a new engine..

I have a trip to Holland planned at the end of next month.. And hoping I can get there in a tank of fuel (550 miles) but the car will be fully loaded with luggage for 2 adults 2 kids.. Really hoping I don't need to take the roof box as that will be the mpg ruined

Second fill today at 822 miles.  50.443 mpg on two thirds motorway at the speed limit, the rest was on rural backroads.  DSG doesn't appear to impose too much of a consumption penalty and its not run in yet..

Maxidot showed 51.4 mpg so its not too far off.

Edited by Legacy

550 miles in...

5 miles to motorway..

Cruise set to 75. M62>M1.

Have you compared this to a brim to brim (although my maxidot / Columbus is within 1 MPG of actual usage)