S3 2.0 TDI 150bhp MPG Thread

My long term figures, since I took delivery mid March.

xQX6S0E.jpg

That looks very good. My long-term over 2447 miles, averaging 40mph is only 46.2 mpg. 

Now at 4.5k miles, running at 52.6 mpg average, measured brim to brim. Maxidot overeads by average of 6% against my actual calculation. Hope to get average up to mid 50's once summer is over.

• 7 months later...

Only 1200 miles so far in my 150hp 2.0 litre diesel DSG with an overall average of 49.8. Mostly country roads, some urban and speeds of 30-60 mph.  Equals 79% of claimed test figures for 'combined'.

One long jourmey (260 miles each way) and I averaged 56.2 for that journey, That equates to 82% of claimed test figures for extra urban or 89% of combined figure.

That'll do for me for now. I will get to know the car better so will expect to see some improvement over the next few months.

Driving style is pretty relaxed but I don't hang about when the road is there. Smooth, soft acceleration and minimal use of the brake is a watchword for me. If the car in front of you is taking a second slower to 60 than you would like or slowing down, rather than braking at the last minute, approaching red traffic lights; that's me in front of you :D

80-85% seems to be high end results for many, if not most, everyday cars. When choosing a car that is the max I expect to be.

A year later & I've just got mine (SE manual saloon); I could just about copy your post, except mine's only done just under 400 miles.

Btw, do you pronounce your name 'sag aloo'? (only joking).

:D

Perhaps I should change it to 'spicy spud' then?

It is a nickname given by my grandchildren when they were younger; something about growing old disgracefully  :notme:

A bit like Lycralout for cyclists!?

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

Perhaps I can take the prize for the worst mpg. See photo.

In mitigation though I sometimes put our bikes on the roof and that does nothing for the mpg.

post-101627-0-29338900-1482244889_thumb.jpg

Perhaps I can take the prize for the worst mpg. See photo.

In mitigation though I sometimes put our bikes on the roof and that does nothing for the mpg.

I can beat that one lol...

Lots of 'since start' screenshots on view here which really doesn't mean a lot, it's the 'long term' which counts. My daily commute is about 8 miles on country roads and longer runs on a weekend doing family stuff. Driving style is normal, average I guess. I don't hold people up, I generally stick to the speed limit and I run the car usually in eco mode but now and again in sport when in the mood. Mine has recently reset itself so here is my long term average, prior to that it was reading 51.6 so it's on the increase. With my relatively short bursts of driving to get 50+ (even allowing for a 10% error rate) is very impressive for the size of the car. Over the Summer with a fully loaded trip to France at speed it was churning out nearly 60mpg from fill to fill.

post-136455-0-13751000-1482245437_thumb.jpg

If the display is as accurate on the Skoda as it is on my Seat Leon its a waste of time, just a toy to amuse passengers. Average for 3 1/2 years calculated has been about 45 mpg but the display insists its doing 49 mpg average. Suppose its VAG's way of ensuring customers are happy, just another small lie.

The display accuracy against real consumption does vary between individual vehicles but I have found whatever the variation, if present, is pretty consistent and easy to compensate for.

My old mk2 1.9PD Octavia was consistently 0.2 to 0.3L/100 optimistic over its whole 6 year 90k km life, checked against each refuel.

My mk3 Octavia 1.4tsi was 0.1L/100 pessimistic when new but is now (31months/31k km old) either spot on or 0.1L/100 optimistic. I'm not sure if that is related to tyre wear.

If there is too much variation I believe it can be corrected with VCDS?

If you are really interested in accurate consumption figures then you should also check the accuracy of the speedo and more importantly the odometer and record consumption in app like Fuelly so you can publish in your Briskoda signature.

• 2 months later...

First tank full in my brand new example returned a creditable 53.6mpg, according to Fuelly, which I was pleased enough with.

I've now filled up with BP Ultimate for the 2nd tank full (standard BP in tank 1). 

Edited by Mon55
  • Like 2

I've worked mine out to be within 2% tolerance (OBC compared to actual).

Regularly seeing over 65mpg on long trips and 60mpg average over a full tankfull. 

We get 11p/mile for business use, so currently making 1.5p/mile profit :biggrin:

3 hours ago, Mon55 said:

First tank full in my brand new example returned a creditable 53.6mpg, according to Fuelly, which I was pleased enough with.

I've now filled up with BP Ultimate for the 2nd tank full (standard BP in tank 1). 

Let us know how you get on with ultimate. Will be interesting to compare. 

On 02/03/2017 at 20:51, tigermad said:

Let us know how you get on with ultimate. Will be interesting to compare. 

2nd tank full (1st with Ultimate) was down to 51.3mpg but they aren't really comparable as the driving was quite different and the rev range is being used more now as the 1000 mile mark has passed.

• Like 1

On 02/03/2017 at 20:39, teebs said:

I've worked mine out to be within 2% tolerance (OBC compared to actual).

Regularly seeing over 65mpg on long trips and 60mpg average over a full tankfull. 

We get 11p/mile for business use, so currently making 1.5p/mile profit :biggrin:

Sounds like it's as accurate as the O3. Good stuff

Quite happy with this figure following a sedate (ACC 68mph) A road / motorway cruise in heavy rain (which in my experience in previous cars reduces efficiency by 2-3 mpg), and some nasty traffic towards the end.

IMG_0704.JPG

Edited by Mon55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete T said:

Approaching 18000 miles and my long term is showing at 49.0, pretty poor really.

That depends on the your driving environment and driving style really. If your long term is mainly open road cruising then yes, it should be better.

@Mon55 is 'cherry picking' some very good returns from near ideal conditions to display, I'm sure that a period of short urban journeys would not be half so impressive.

I'm just as guilty of the next person of doing that as there is going to be nothing impressive after popping to the shops and navigating their car park :)

Edited by Gerrycan