All 4 Electric Windows not working - any ideas ?

aubrey

As far as I know all the electric windows have failed on my car. I've never noticed one not working so I would say something common has failed here and they have all gone at once.

When I use the key on the outside of the car and turn to the right for a few seconds then all 4 windows open, turn to the left for a few seconds and all 4 windows close. So I assume the motors are OK.

I have checked all the fuses and non are blown.

I've pulled out the drivers side window switch block, wiggeled the wiring and unpluged and replugged. No difference.

The switches all light green when the lights get turned on but the rear windows lock switch does not light if I press and release the lock switch. In fact all 4 switch positions in the car (2 front and 2 rear) all light up with the side lights but are dead for operating the windows.

I have done a full VCDS Scan, no faults found.

So ideas please what can I check and prove where the fault is ?  I don't just want to change things without a bit of confidence where the fault lies ?

So any help please ?  Has anybody else had these symptons ?

Edited by aubrey

How bizarre

Not something I have come across

It's almost as if the master switch on the drivers door has tripped the rest

Only advice I can offer is vauxhalls had a problem with the bcm (comfort modules on vag cars) that can become stuck and cause all sorts of crazy things to not work you could reset them by removing the battery for half hour and reattach leaving the car for 10 minutes to all control modules to reset (use nothing on the car until this is complete)

Not saying that will fix your issue but short of pulling each switch and engergising each plug or putting a probe across the switch I can't offer any advice

Just a side question has your window on the drivers side been open during rainfall ??

A bit more info. I've pulled off the door card after reading about corrosion issues due to water leakage. All totally dry, in fact it looks perfect like out of the factory clean. I want to have a look at the A piller door plug but so far I've not figured out how to remove the rubber boot and unplug. Info says from the top but it seems very tight and stuck solid.

Back to VCDS I looked at the measuring blocks on the central convenience module. Blocks 001 and up from there, they are the 4 door switches and also the mirror heater/move switch. They all come up 'No response from module' that can't be right. So I'm thinking a CAN bus issue, all 4 doors could not of failed. But when I use my key in the drivers door and turn and hold each way I can make all 4 windows go down and up. I assume the CAN bus must be telling them all to do this.

I'm stuck on this one, I think I will have to book it into Skoda. I'm not brave enough to just buy a new drivers door motor or even a new convenience module without proof.

OK I found the problem. Broken wires about 5cm from the plug on door connecter, It is all too tight to solder them back together in there. I counted 5 broken wires. I'm going to order a new door loom and replace it.

I broke the plastic clip getting the black door wire gaiter off in the door pillar, so that's being ordered too.

I think I would say as advice to anybody else attempting to pull back that gaiter is to push down with a small flat blade screwdriver from above directly in the middle of the top edge up the gaiter, sliding the screwdriver between rubber and door pillar. Push down on the screwdriver and the gaiter should pop off. I did this on the passenger side to check there too and 1) I did not snap the plastic gaiter clip and 2) all the wires (less of them) look perfect that side.

• Like 3

This seems to be quite a common fault on Roomsters and Fabias.

Mine has the same issue. But because of the bad weather I have not had time to look at it properly. I will look at it after Christmas and now I know exactly where to look I will be better prepared.

Where are you getting the loom and how much?

I had similar fault on the tailgate, I did a temp repair using an inline crimp. This had the effect of legthening the broken conductor slightly. been OK for 6 months now. I realise this cure wouldn't help 5 broken wires but worth a try if there's one or two.

PS I was unable the squeeze the crimp with the proper tool, had to use pliers.

I'm getting my loom from coventry skoda as offered on the forum for £92.51, however there's a new one for sale on eBay at the moment for £60 ono. No good for me now as order already in. If you are pulling the door panel off then get some new plastic door clips as they will snap when pulled ofd and you will need to replace them too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Windows all fixed now, everything working again. I had to get a 2nd loom sent to me as the first one sent had the wrong window motor connector. It seems that Roomsters had a door loom change around November 2007, exactly when my car was built.

So from what I've learnt the earlier build had a window motor with 2 connectors and that needs loom 5J0.971.120.AS, where as my car's window motor just had a single connector and that needed loom 5J0.971.120.BQ. My window motor was 6Q1.959.801G by the way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a 2007 mod. Roomster TDISport, as I bouget June 2014. In The Rainey Autumn 2014 I got some problems With The front electric windows (the rear ones are manual). It seemed to be a bad contact because of rainfall.  Last summer I had an accident and the left front door was replaced and new electric contacts were mounted.  

About two weeks ago the windows didn't work at all.  I'll check the pin-connector in the door-pillar, and one of the wire was broken (white/green, from door to the pin). I fixed it, and the windows worked again. I tried 2-3 times and mounted the gaiter. I was satisfied, then - but a few hours later - the windows didn't work.  I disconnected the pin, but the wire was OK, connected the pin, and the windows are working.  Tries 4-5 times, OK - but an hour later - not working.

Disconnect the pin, and connect again - working.  A while later - not working.  I have done this procedure 4-5 times - with the same results. Immediately after connecting, I have started the engine, turned off/on lights, closing/open front door - and the windows works  - but then after a while not working.   

I have not a clue what to do  – anyone who got an idea?

Frustraded norwegian Roomster-owner.

The left front door was replaced - Norway drives on the right - therefore your drivers side door was replaced. Do I think wrong that a new door = a new wiring loom ?  This is a common fault but a common fault after 5+ years.

But you write "new electric contacts were mounted" - So if the door wiring loom is new then it should not of had a broken wire in 6 months.

I think it you should return to the company who replaced your door and complain about a wire breaking in 6 months. Is there no warrenty on their work ?

If they do not help you, then are you sure there is no other damage to the wiring loom ? Also you mention rainfall - a sign of damaged electrical insulation ?

I've checked today.  I was wrong. The garage did not replace any devices or the wiring loom in the door. None of the gadget inside was damage, just some small outdoor dents (lowest at the door), made a new door necessary. As far as I can see several of the wires have been broken earlier… They are united just before the pin.  I have solder and isolated the new broken wire. My problem now is as I describe – the widows stop working after a while (10 – 30 minutes).  Every time I connect the pin again in the door-pillar, both windows works – for a short while. 

I have not pulled of the door-card yet to see if all wires are OK from motor to pin.  It’s really cold in my garage now (2° below zero), but because the windows works at first, and then stops – I think it perhaps is something failure from the pin to “the brain”.......  The gaiter covering the pin in the door-pillar was "waterproof" because I used silicon last summer after the door was changed. I can either see any other damages for the wires just before the pin (10 cm). 

I can’t see any corrosion either at the pin or in the door-pillar-box. That’s the reason for my allegation "new electric contacts were mounted", because a mechanics told me last winter the pin was in a bad condition. I had an idea they fixed the pin when changing the door, because the windows have worked every time from summer 15 till Christmas.

BTW - yeah, we are among the majority driving at the right (right ;-)) side of the road. 

When the windows stop working, if you put the key in the drivers outside door lock and turn the key and hold. Do both windows then open and close if the key is turned the other way ?

No, I've tried the key, according to the manual, several times, but no reaction at all.

Now, the windows not working either if I reconnect the pin. 

I'll wait until I get a bit higher temperature in my garage, and then pull off the door-card, and check all the wires and motor.

The switch for the windows inside the door I replaced with a new one a year ago.

Thanks for your "support" so far.

My car is a 2007 1,9TDI.  Has there been any major changing in solutions and equipment in newer models? I like this car, but in these 1,5 year since I bought this Roomster I have used too much time for solving problems and defects. The fan is not working normal (the cost to solve is about £600), the indoor-light does not turn on when I open left driver-door (defect micro-switch in handle/lock?), some bad rust at back-door beneath the window (no guaranty acc. Skoda dealer).  In Norway we have automatic compulsory lights (front and rear). Last summer this automatic stopped working. A Skoda-garage has used more than two hours trying finding the problem – but in vain. I have bought the VDCS version 14.10.2 but none of these problems appears in reports.       I’ve also bought the Skoda Roomster Workshop Repair And Service Manual (EMO_9037) from eMaualOnline – but unfortunately my knowledge is not as I expected ;-).  

Of course no cars are flawless, but this is the 8th car for a period of 35 years – and the Roomster have given more problems and frustration than any other car.

Sorry for my loooong speech, but it's a kind of therapy. :angel:

• Like 2

:) Oh dear.  Your window problem and car age does look like the common loom problem. When you remove the door card write down your current loom part number and therefore order correctly.

Because you have VCDS. If you check 46 Central Convenience, Measuring Blocks Groups 1, does it say "Ctrl. Module Does not Respond"  another loom broken symptom.

Maybe a new loom will fix your interior light problem too.

Your daytime running lights can be enabled and disabled by VCDS. Setting them OFF is not a fault. Have you checked the coding has them turned ON.

Please write your result when you repair this in the warm weather. Good luck.

Thanks’, I will update. I can check the VCDS about 46 and the daytime running light , but the mechanics at the Skoda-dealer is a clever guy, and used VCDS and two hours for the light – without result. They suggested the easiest and cheapest way to “fix” was to build a new electrical circuit. 

• 4 months later...

Just an update on my problem.

My car was due MOT in April and wanted to get the windows working again. Spent 2 days stripping down and checking everything I could find. Sill no joy :sweat:

Bad weather came again and I put it off for a few days. Going down the shops one evening, low and behold, windows working. Next day nothing!!

Now the good weather is back and all windows now work :clap:

I will have to look at this again, I know as soon as I need them they will fail.

One point to note. I stripped the drivers door control switch module completely down including the switches and found green residue over the passenger front and rear switches, the front never did work from my door and the rear only went up. Now they both work as they should. Clouds, silverlining :D

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 2016.01.5. at 20:42, svanesb said:

Hi,

I have a 2007 mod. Roomster TDISport, as I bouget June 2014. In The Rainey Autumn 2014 I got some problems With The front electric windows (the rear ones are manual). It seemed to be a bad contact because of rainfall.  Last summer I had an accident and the left front door was replaced and new electric contacts were mounted.  

About two weeks ago the windows didn't work at all.  I'll check the pin-connector in the door-pillar, and one of the wire was broken (white/green, from door to the pin). I fixed it, and the windows worked again. I tried 2-3 times and mounted the gaiter. I was satisfied, then - but a few hours later - the windows didn't work.  I disconnected the pin, but the wire was OK, connected the pin, and the windows are working.  Tries 4-5 times, OK - but an hour later - not working.

Disconnect the pin, and connect again - working.  A while later - not working.  I have done this procedure 4-5 times - with the same results. Immediately after connecting, I have started the engine, turned off/on lights, closing/open front door - and the windows works  - but then after a while not working.   

I have not a clue what to do  – anyone who got an idea?

Frustraded norwegian Roomster-owner.

Hi

I have started the same problem in my Roomster. Do you finded solution?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

The problem with the electrical windows have been a nightmare, and have stolen a lot of mye sparetime.  I really don't know where the problem is related, but the bug can be a several places;  break in wires, dampen in the connector from door to car, problems with the doorswitch, etc etc.

Just at the moment (today) they are OK, first time for several months.

I like to drive the Roomster, OK size and space, but now I'm so feed up for several electric bugs, I've deceided  to sell the car. The problem is; I don't know which to by. ;-((

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2016 at 13:00, Mavawreck said:

One point to note. I stripped the drivers door control switch module completely down including the switches and found green residue over the passenger front and rear switches, the front never did work from my door and the rear only went up. Now they both work as they should. Clouds, silverlining :D

I bought a new wiring loom and fitted it this afternoon, didn't fix my electric windows, it did fix the alarm LED and the rear demister though.

After reading this I took the drivers door switch apart and also found green residue, cleaned the contacts up with a bit of WD40 and bingo - my electric window on the drivers side works now.  Will tackle the passenger switch next time I get a free afternoon.

Thanks for posting this Mavawreck!

joeski.

Glad this has worked for you and hope they keep working!!

Mine packed up again not long after and left them like that until last sept when I worked out that VAG do put a lot of the same components on various cars so it seemed reasonable to assume that by cross referencing I could get a similar window ECU from another car.

I opted for a VW Polo motor of the around the same year, that on the photos was the same as mine, it was delivered to my door, in person and only cost me £15.

When I went to fit it the motor was never going in the same hole, totally too small!

I took the ECU off the motor and fitted it to my motor and bingo! It worked, but the comfort switches don't and my window worked in reverse. I thought OK I can live with that. One upside, the heated mirrors were now working.

However, my joy was short lived and the windows stopped working after about 20 mins. I took the fuses out, put them back in and they worked again.

I have now put in an isolator switch on the fuse box flap, a 2 pole red illuminated type that you would see on domestic electrical goods. Took the fuses out and ran a simple loop from the live side of the fuse link through a remote fuse link and back into the fuse board.

I keep the switch in the off position until I want to operate the windows and turn it off again as soon as I have finished. Works a treat:cool:

Blummin heck, you have installed a fused spur?  That's some serious out of the box thinking :)

I disassembled the passenger side switch this afternoon, took 2 attempts to clean up the corrosion on the contacts but it now works a treat.  If it goes again I'll be buying replacement switches, they're about £15 on ebay, might have a wander to a scrap yard though, I'm guessing Fabia switches are the same as it seems the Roomster shares a lot with the Fabia.