Fuel filter

I've just a new fuel filter it was just £6, fitted it yesterday easy job only took 20mins. the old one was filthy black literely caked in muck god knows how the diesel was getting through! Clearly it was as the car was running fine, the date on the old filter was stamped VW/Audi 2008 so the original one from new even after 75k miles and about 8 services, don't fuel filters get changed at certain services? Anybody fancies doings theirs its easy and relatively cheap.

The fuel filter is included in the price of the major service (approximately every 18000 miles if on annual servicing) but is not changed according to Skoda Servicing schedules until approximately 60000 miles.

Work that one out!

Edited by Guest

Data could just be when it was manufactured and could have been sat on a shelf for a long while after.

Always try and get OEM or a top branded fuel filter. Seen too many problems caused with cheap fuel filter from clogging well before time to complete collapse.

Edited by CWARD

Cheers Chaps, I'm pretty sure it's the original filter, if anyone does want to change theirs be aware of Euro Car parts, despite me putting my reg in on their site they still gave me the wrong filter then charged me 20% more when I took it back as I hadn't ordered the replacement on the website even though it was their mistake! I would have told them to shove it but I had the car in bits.

Edited by The The

Cheers Chaps, I'm pretty sure it's the original filter, if anyone does want to change theirs be aware of Euro Car parts, despite me putting my reg in on their site they still gave me the wrong filter then charged me 20% more when I took it back as I hadn't ordered the replacement on the website even though it was their mistake! I would have told them to shove it but I had the car in bits.

To be fair only skoda know exactly which type of filter is fitted without physically looking at the car. Several different types were fitted simultaneously for some unknown reason. It does say which housing type each filter is for on the ECP website.

Also if you moan enough Ecp should reduce the price in the branch. The store can't see the website prices on the till, but if you show them the Web price they will match it.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I did try to explain to the person serving that I ordered it in good faith and they should charge the web price he just kept quoting ECP directive one from the corporate hand book sadly and I was getting irate so took it on the chin.

Happens all the time for me on both cars I have, right reg, wrong part. You have to have half an idea of what you want. A quick measure always works, and now I pop the box and check. Its been the same for sensors, brake pads and filters.Still, ECP is cheap and easy so it wont discourage me.

I did try to explain to the person serving that I ordered it in good faith and they should charge the web price he just kept quoting ECP directive one from the corporate hand book sadly and I was getting irate so took it on the chin.

In the Braintree one, busty bertha (my nickname for her) goes it on the computer and gives me the web price when its been ordered online and wrong. Without fail. I suggest you change your ECP, or stand there and order it via your phone.

Data could just be when it was manufactured and could have been sat on a shelf for a long while after.

Always try and get OEM or a top branded fuel filter. Seen too many problems caused with cheap fuel filter from clogging well before time to complete collapse.

Id check the filter again, see if its black again. If it is, then I would suspect the fuel pump (tandem pump) Easy swap, not too expensive if you do it yourself. The pump wears and ets engine oil into the fuel.

These are interesting points that I wasn't aware of. I'm suffering a misfire at the moment that disappeared for a couple of weeks after I put a new fuel filter in. My replacement was a crossland from ECP. The misfire is back. Do crossland fall into the 'cheap' bracket?...I've used them on other cars without concern.

Is there any easy check for the tandem pump operation or is it just a matter of checking colouration in the filter?

Not my words but something I came across a few years ago when asking the same question for a filter for my E46 BMW, I cannot confirm its accuracy though...

"Many years ago Crosland were a real major player in the filter world. They were then sold off to Sogefi who own Fram and Purflux.

Euro Car Parts (ECP) bought the Crosland name, but only the name, no development support, no technical back-up, nothing.

Now they buy the cheapest filters from around the world and sell them off the back of their perceived quality brand name."

Edited by silver1011

Interesting. My other car's a BMW E87 with the crossland fitted and that's been good for nearly two years. Am I right in thinking that Skoda's filters are provided by Mann?...which aren't much more expensive than crossland!

Interesting. My other car's a BMW E87 with the crossland fitted and that's been good for nearly two years. Am I right in thinking that Skoda's filters are provided by Mann?...which aren't much more expensive than crossland!

Mann or UFI I think.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The OEM fuel filter in my scout was a UFi. I usually buy a genuine service kit for my first set of filters and note down the make and part numbers of the filters and shop around for the best price next time. For the Merc, Oil and air filters weren't much more expensive from the dealer. I certainly didnt buy the pollen filter at £80 though :D

Mark 

Edited by mark999

When I was looking for a fuel filter from ECP this week I was told VAG withhold the part number information.

Indeed in some cases this does seem to be true as when I phoned my local stealer, I was told they can't give that information out.

I phoned the original dealers who sold the car and was issued with a part number with no problem.

ECP was then able to cross reference the VAG number with the Bosh number.

If ECP have given you a fuel filter just from your reg number, then I think they are just taking a guess.

Looking at the site there is 2 possible filters for mine.

For mine when I clicked on part details or does state in the other information line. "Manafactaurer restriction Mann-Hummel" others state "manufacturer restriction UFI- system" I can only assume this is VAG not supplying the information to enable part suppliers to correctly identify parts.

Edited by TK699

Thanks chaps. Might be worth getting one from the stealers as a one off. The specs listed for Crossland, Mann, Bosch are all the same on the face of it but there's no mention of internal specs...and I can't find a UFI listed anywhere.