Slow turning over

My Octy is running great but for the last few months it really struggles to crank just for the first couple of seconds then spins fine and always starts great after that, I naturally suspected the battery which I changed for a spanking new one but it's still the same. Should I be looking at starter motor or is there a voltage regulator (type thing) I should be looking at as starter motors are not cheap and as it spins great after the first seconds it could be something different (and cheaper) thanks guys.

Cheers I've done a couple of searches on here and it's not uncommon with the tdi's, I have a couple of things to look at Inc the crank speed sensor and a temperature sensor.

Yes, but none of those should affect crank speed?

Start with the earths - you could try a jump lead clamped on  battery "-" and a a good metal earthing point on the engine to see if this helps