MK2 Tow bar fitting

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the roof bars on my mk2 Octavia VRS (2011) with a detachable tow bar but i'm a little stumped with what i will need...

all i will be using it for is to "tow" a Thule cycle carrier, what do people make of this:

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/octavia-hatchback-2004-detachable-tow-bar.html

would the "single electrics + bypass" be all i require?

Leigh

Witter is a decent make so that looks an excellent deal. I have a swan neck style bar on my Ibiza and use it for a bike rack and small trailer. Single electrics is fine and yes a bypass relay will be required. You fitting it yourself?

Single electrics and by-pass relay will work, but I'd seriously recommend the dedicated electrics instead.

No splicing into wires, full compatibility with the cars electrics, etc.

I have a dedicated 13-pin socket that I fitted myself using the factory kit. It took almost two days, but I now have (relevant to carrying a bike rack - all I do at present) bulb out warning, fog and reversing lights on bike rack, anti-theft alarm (the car alarm goes off if the electric plug is removed with doors locked) and, if you particularly like this sort of thing, the display in the Columbus/Bolero shows the car with a trailer attached when's el ting reverse and the reversing sensors are disabled with the plug plugged in.

If I ever tow a trailer or caravan then I'll have all the other functions that go with it.

I really don't think that the cost saving is worth the lack of integration and functionality. Just my opinion though.

Just going this route myself as don't want roof bars and my Thule Euro Classic that I used on my previous car was rock solid and better on the MPG. Thule towbar mounted bike racks are usually 13 pin sockets so that is your first problem solved. I would recommend Westfalia detachable tow bar. I've used them before and never had a problem with it. A mate had a Witter detachable fitted to his car and had all sorts problems with it not locking in place or not being able to remove it. In the end he just left it attached.

As KB stated dedicated is preferable as it works with the car not just spliced in. Costs a bit more but worth it in my opinion.

Try this option

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/octavia-hatchback-2005-detachable-tow-bar.html

Edited by CWARD

I did my Yeti with genuine Skoda dedicated 13-pin electrics, wired to the fuse board, and the detachable towbar that is shown in the brochures, for under £300'including delivery of parts from Czech Republic.

Took me about 1.5 days of working methodically (i.e. slowly) and had a few things along the way that I needed to check up on.

Witter is a decent make so that looks an excellent deal. I have a swan neck style bar on my Ibiza and use it for a bike rack and small trailer. Single electrics is fine and yes a bypass relay will be required. You fitting it yourself?

Yeah, I'll be giving it a go myself... The car is out of warranty and I won't be using it enough to justify a dedicated kit so this looks about the best option for me, fingers crossed I won't regret saying that!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

got my towbar done at the dealer. £700 includeing fitting with twin electricts.

Is that good? Bad? I'm a bit dim when it comes to simple things like this, I'm making the switch as I don't like the look of the bars on the Octavia hatch. Twin electrics will be overkill for me

That's not a bad price. I don't know if all dealers fit tow bars - you'd have to ask your local dealer. Mines a hatchback as well and its got the removeable towbar. The work car (it's the octivia estate) hasent got one fitted.

I'd really recommend the 13-pin socket over the 7-pin. Much more secure and watertight. I've had no end of problems with 7-pins and none with 13-pins.

I had the Witter detachable that you linked to in the first post fitted to my Octavia estate back in 2009. Fitted it was about £300 all in.

I do not have the dedicated wiring though, so when I engage reverse I get the constant beeping from the reverse sensors. Saying that 6 years on and no electrical issues at all...

DSC06098.jpg

IMG_12975.jpg

As for the carrier, I too looked at Thule one and Witter ones.

Bought this one instead locally and it seems every bit as good quality wise...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/374597-sparkrite-tow-bar-cycle-carrier/

IMG_8125_zpsiggbprln.jpg

Edited by silver1011

I had the Witter detachable that you linked to in the first post fitted to my Octavia estate back in 2009. Fitted it was about £300 all in.

I do not have the dedicated wiring though, so when I engage reverse I get the constant beeping from the reverse sensors. Saying that 6 years on and no electrical issues at all...

DSC06098.jpg

IMG_12975.jpg

As for the carrier, I too looked at Thule one and Witter ones.

Bought this one instead locally and it seems every bit as good quality wise...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/374597-sparkrite-tow-bar-cycle-carrier/

IMG_8125_zpsiggbprln.jpg

I've ordered pretty much the same set up, good to hear you've not had any issues

• Like 1