Fuel Filler Flap

jst_at_home

+1 revision F on actuator followed @weasley’s guide. Took about 10 mins and as weasley says, the flap hinge end will be against the bodywork as you rotate the housing out around the hinge pulling out from the latch end.

Many thanks, luckily the fuel flap had failed unlocked, only found this out when testing the car locks after changing the boot lock which would not latch. Actuators appear to be a VW weak spot!

• 11 months later...

Just had the same problem on Xmas Eve. I gently prised the flap up a few mm using a couple of the wooden bits from a dismantled clothes peg, they are nice soft wood and the right wedge shape. Couldn't get enough purchase on those 2 little bits of wood, so slid a flat wooden drinks coaster into the resulting gap and prised it up more. 

The flap popped up as normal with no damage. Good enough to fill up with petrol before tomorrow morning! I can see the offending metal bolt protruding up inside the little compartment covered by the flap. Meanwhile I've put my 3 makeshift wooden tools in the glove compartment for next time. Happy christmas all! 

Correction. There was damage to the thin plastic lug which previous contributors have mentioned. The flap still closes and opens normally without this plastic lug. It merely does not lock. I don't care about this. Any dedicated petrol thief would not be deterred by this anyway. 

• 1 year later...

Having read this thread it has stirred me into preventive action to buy a spare actuator to ensure mine never fails, strange logic I know!

Anyway a search on Ebay was interesting as I found 7P0810773D 

image.png.bfcfe58af01470d6d9c0e80409c578d0.png

But I also found another that is claimed to be interchangeable 7P0810773F

image.png.31b20651036778c6fcb2ff68b4021e2c.png

They appear to be exactly the same apart from the F suffix one having a manual release cable. Both item are a little over £15 delivered. The D version clearly is the same thing without the cable fitted

For those that have replaced their lock motor, would there be anywhere to hide the manual release cable that makes sense?

I am tempted to buy the F version and if my lock motor ever fails should the cable is a pain just remove it. Mind you some of you might well say buy a genuine VAG and don't mess about!

Your views would be interesting thanks Chris

Much simpler solution - I just unplugged mine. It's now permanently in the unlocked position but given there is anti-syphon devices in the filler neck anyway (and does anyone ever have fuel theft anymore anyway?!) I just didn't see the point of having it lockable and risking it failing on me - as it had started to get sticky and was becoming more & more of a pain to get to open on the forecourt.

So simply unplugged the wiring - it still latches shut and pushes open fine - but no more fear of it not releasing.