Android head unit DS820

Be interested to know the startup time for the 820 unit ?

Thanks

From what I've read, the units are accessible fairly quickly, as they start booting when you open the door (I think they have a picture a bit like MaxiDot), whereas the OEM kit waits until you start the car or push the on button.

If they fully integrate and don't take too long to start up.  Then i will certainly put one on the shopping list.  

It would be good to get a side by side comparison between an android and wince system, however i very much doubt someone will own both!  I will just have to carry on reading the different threads and coming to my own conclusions before purchasing.  

Thanks 

I'm getting a little bit fed up waiting for mine tbh, by the time it arrives that'll be a 3 week delivery at best. Obviously they can't have everything in stock all the time but there's no indication of where it is until chased, bit disappointing from a UK seller

I decided to go for the Android M005. Going to tackle the install over the next couple of days - does anyone have any ideas how best to place and route GPS antenna and external mic and related wiring for best pickup and neat job. Cheers.

Don't worry, found it:

http://www.iceboxauto.com/skoda-octavia-ii-2007-2009-android-444-m005

Am I right in thinking that this is for the bolero facia trim and has a 7" screen?

Ta

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

certainly looks like it. The "Columbus" trim is much squarer.

It seems that the market has been flooded with Android based units over the last couple of years. I remember not long ago when Zenec were pretty much the only brand that offered OEM fitment stereos like this.  Can I be cheeky and ask those with this unit, or ones that are similar, to reply here with experience? Really tempted to give one of these a spin, but I don't want to go for it to find the build quality is poor, or that it's slow and crashes often etc. I'd hate to get one because it offered features X, Y, and Z, but they all ran pooly or sounded inferior to the OEM Bolero...

I've just emailed IBA for more info:

Hi there,

I'm interested in purchasing the DNS 820 for my MK II Facelift Skoda Octavia VRS.  I'm just wondering if this until is fully compatible and if any of the advertised features only work with the older non facelift etc? Could I ask if you had a PDF copy of the manual I could read over to see if it's ideal for what I need?

Thanks,
Harry

Hopefully I'll hear back shortly :)

Edited by planehazza
  • Like 1

The radio is okay but not perfect. I spend time driving around the home counties and occasionally even radio 1 is hard to find. Generally speaking it'll pick up all the main stations 95% of the time, it just might lose them as you move which i'd not really noticed in previous cars.

The only other thing i don't like is the volune control. The pop up is too small and doesn't stay on screen long enough. I did have a play around with some volume apps but havent found one i like yet.

Bluetooth to my phone works well, although callers say they can hear themselves too much. I've never had a system like this before so not sure if thats usual or not. Other than that i just use it for sat nav (i use nokia here) and music (i use rocket player) and that all works well enough.

• Like 1

Great video, I've an 07 model Mk2 so it's good to know it should fit into my car if I choose to go down that route ...

I'm just wondering though if the head unit picks up your reversing sensors or shows changes made in the temp control unit .. I seen one where it actually told you all this plus whether the doors where open but that I'm sure was on a face lift model.

Edited by labman1001

when i put it in reverse the screen goes blank and the music stops, the parking sensors beep us usual and there's schematic on the screen splitting the area behind the car into 4 areas which show with coloured bars what areas something is approaching the car.

There is a schematic that shows when the doors are open but i've not oaid attention enough to check that it reads the correct door, I read reports of some aftermarket head units getting the left and right side of the car the wrong way around.

There's no on screen temperature that i've noticed, but i've set my unit up so the front 'home' screen is all i need so it could be there somewhere, i've just not found it. I have my home screen set up with 4 big (easy to hit) icons, Radio, Sat Nav, Music Player and Bluetooth. There is a diagnositic type function i've found which tells you your speed (digital), rpm (digital), fuel level (in litres) battery voltage amongst other things which i thought was pretty useful, especially when the first cold snap of the year killed the battery.

I'l try to shoot a video of it in action so you can see start up times and general functionality as soon as I get a spare moment. For the money, the fuctionality and looks, and given what i started with, it really is very good value.

Doctor T   You can change the door opening to the right side, if its show wrong ..... Tap on factory settings, tap in  126 hit OK go to other, tap on rudder, tap on apply you should hear two load beeps & it will ask you to re- boot. Door should show the right opening side. You also change the boot up screen to the Skoda logo in the same application.

I have the RQ0364 unit http://www.autopumpkin.com/pumpkin-8-inch-1024-600-touchscreen-quad-core-android-4-4-car-stereo-for-vw-skoda-seat-series-2-din-with-parrot-bluetooth-and-better-radio-ic-support-dab-aux-output-mirrorlink-obd2-wifi-3g-steering-wheel-control.html

Paul

Ps...... Great Video installation, I too struggled to fit it all behind the HU  :clap:

Edited by Paulb64
  • Like 2

Cheers for that Paul. i'd already found out how to change to the skoda logo but havent looked into the door shut yet, it might even be correct already for all i know, good to know it can be changed if needed :-)

• Like 1

Thanks for that....another question..some pics show that white Pumpkin logo at the bottom on the black  frame, some not.... I don´t like that....possible to scrape it off?

Some shows a silver frame, some a black one

vw%20bluetooth%20car%20unit%201.jpg

vw%20bluetooth%20car%20unit%2014.jpg

Also, there existing a lot of different suppliers for the same device, and the prices vary from 450 down to 300 

Edited by 0ctavist

Thanks for that....another question..some pics show that white Pumpkin logo at the bottom on the black  frame, some not.... I don´t like that....possible to scrape it off?

Also, there existing a lot of different suppliers for the same device, and the prices vary from 450 down to 300 

Yup it's what stopping me taking the plunge. There seems to be a lot of clones floating about.

vw%20bluetooth%20car%20unit%201.jpg

vw%20bluetooth%20car%20unit%2014.jpg

No branding on mine see post #43  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/388356-best-android-or-mirrorlink-head-unit-for-octavia/page-2

Juan27, how did it go?

Still sitting in its box at the moment I'm afraid. Really struggling to find time to fit it, but it looks pretty good.