"The Raging Mouse" Fabia Monte Carlo.

Outofthi5world

You found your way off that roundabout then? :p

Yes, eventually. :D

One of those where the sat-nav didn't keep up so I missed the turn. Oh well.

And yes, the lacquer does effect the balance of the wheels, because if you're spraying with a can and not doing it professionally, plus trying to get nice thick coats of paint then the weight is way off. They came back from the garage with half a ton of weights on them. Now some of the lacquer is off the weight will be way out again.

Use wheel cleaner? Might have reacted?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Na, they were just starting to peel before I washed them, quick blast with the power washer saw big lumps peel off all over the place.

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 1

The lacquer does not weight enough to affect it.

It if has a ton of weights then the wheel is most probably buckled or something, too many weights is just chasing it around the wheel.

:no:

The lacquer does not weight enough to affect it.

It if has a ton of weights then the wheel is most probably buckled or something, too many weights is just chasing it around the wheel.

:no:

They didn't have many weights on at all when I bought them and they ran perfectly, then I took those weights off and put a can of primer, a can of gold and 2/3 can of lacquer on each wheel, allowed to dry for 2 weeks then took to the garage to get balanced, they came out with half a ton of weights on and ran smoothly, then I washed them and the lacquer peeled off now they wobble.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Where did you place the jack and axle stands when you jacked up the rear of this car to get the rear drums off? I've got the TT jacking pads fitted so can jack up on those, but because of the location of the rear jack pads right next the small part of the sill that's exposed thanks to the Monte bodykit covering the rest of the sill, I can't fit an axle stand as the jack's in the way.

Where did you place the jack and axle stands when you jacked up the rear of this car to get the rear drums off? I've got the TT jacking pads fitted so can jack up on those, but because of the location of the rear jack pads right next the small part of the sill that's exposed thanks to the Monte bodykit covering the rest of the sill, I can't fit an axle stand as the jack's in the way.

What I did was but a brick or a piece of wood or something under the suspension, nice flat area where the spring sits that you can use seams to be a good spot.

What I did was but a brick or a piece of wood or something under the suspension, nice flat area where the spring sits that you can use seams to be a good spot.

Thanks. I've got some old bits of carpet in the garage, so I'm thinking if I cut up a few bits of carpet and use them stacked up, would that work just as well as using a brick or block of wood?

Thanks. I've got some old bits of carpet in the garage, so I'm thinking if I cut up a few bits of carpet and use them stacked up, would that work just as well as using a brick or block of wood?

Possibly, if you can get enough carpet. Although you may have bother making a stack high enough, you're talking a good 5 inch stack or so and I wouldn't want it falling off.

So the Monte went in for a service yesterday and I requested to keep the old spark plugs out of curiosity, I think they look quite good:

IMG_0394_zpssxhxanmm.jpg

IMG_0395_zpseluk17te.jpg

The one on the left looks a bit darker in the pictures but it's just the lighting, they all look the same really.
I assume they will have been in for the full 27K, 16.5K of previous owner and 10.5K with me.

• 2 months later...

Took it in for its MOT today and it passed as expected, only advisory was the rear tyres are worn on the inner edges which I knew about as they are part worn and were like that when I got them fitted a couple of weeks ago but with it being the inner edges and only rears they aren't going to wear any more before they get out on a track or something.

• 2 months later...

So, long time no post in this topic now. Not had much going on with this car and not had the time to be bothered either. So, Updates.

1. A tree that overhangs the lane at work decided it didn't want as many branches any more so dropped one on my bonnet, boss is denying all responsibility and as I can't prove anything I'm going to have to live with 4 dents on the bonnet now. (can't see then too well in the photo but three are right on the swage lines to the passenger side of the bonnet and one in between the two lines on the left.) Was quoted £740 for new bonnet and paint that needed doing to blend ect, but it'll have to stay like that because I can't afford to and the boss is being an arse.

IMG_0522_zpsypkaqvgk.jpg

IMG_0631_zpsxtmd1nwj.jpg

2. I'd bought some food and a bottle of coke on my dinner break a couple of weeks ago and picked a couple of mates up for a bit of a drive out so put the bottle in the foot-well behind the drivers seat thinking if it can't fall it won't hurt anything. Well it hit the seat rail, burst and chucked a liter of coke all over the foot-well instead. So I've bought 8 new seat bolts and this morning I got the carpet cleaner out and cleaned it all up. A good excuse to get rid of all that crap you can never get to with a hoover. Looks a lot better now anyway, and the seats were surprisingly bad to say rarely have anyone in them.

IMG_0642_zps009epjsi.jpg

IMG_0646_zpsaesvuwud.jpg

IMG_0645_zpsgknnsmjm.jpg

And washed it this afternoon and topped up protection with some BSD.

IMG_0647_zpsscat4tvo.jpg

IMG_0648_zpskxcqfioc.jpg

3. Winter wheels were fitted a while ago just after it snowed. I don't know what they will be like in the snow but they are terrible in any other conditions, about half the grip of the summer tyres and just spin out everywhere. So for the two days of snow that we may or may not get they aren't worth preserving. Conclusion: Use as I am, scrub them off a bit, use them as legal tyres for the Croctavia and stick to summer tyres in winter.

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Naths vRS said:

You know this for sure or just assuming?

You professional prat or is it a hobby?

From t'orses mouth:

4th. Crashed the Monte and ended up staying in Northallerton for a couple of nights while things got sorted.
6th. Car was collected and no courtesy car delivered, rang up insurance who apologized on behalf of the garage who sent a car out within a couple of hours. A brand new Fiesta with less than 650 miles on it!
11th. Was told by garage that the Fabia was written off and they were coming to collect the courtesy car the day after.