Paint Correction

vrsRob

As some of you may know, my pride and joy was written off days before Christmas and I now have a replacement.

Only thing is, my old car was one of the best kept Fabia vRSs around and it always got attention and comments at meets and shows BUT this new one needs some correction work as it is Swirl City.

Question is - what do you guys recommend to correct this? I have a DA and a collection of bits and bobs but I am keen to hear from fellow enthusiasts...

Also happy to buy any stock you have that is no longer needed, quite keen to try Menzerna...

Thanks,
Rob

I have lots of Menzerna but afraid I really like using it, so won't be parting with any ;)

Personally I find the best attack for a neglected Fabia (and most German cars) is to start off with a decent cutting pad and a polish like menzerna power finish, or my personal current favourite, 3M fast cut.  I use a rotary for good power.

However I guarantee after using it the paint will not look brilliant.... so I usually refine with my DAS-6 Pro+ and a medium pad and a medium polish like menzerna super finish or megs DA polish 6/10 cut.  Even then it may need more refining with a softer pad and something like menzerna final finish, or one I love Meguairs 205 which is a 4/10 and works really nice.

All the above is subject to usual paint prep, and other things of course. :thumbup:  I assume you know about that already given the condition of your previous motor.

• Like 2

Yes indeed, I prep any car I work on as if it were my own and friends and family are always pleased with the results as I am.

I do have a reasonable stock of various bits, just thought now may be a good time to try something new.

I must get some new pads too come to think of it...

Often overlooked:

Its very important whatever pads and polish you use, to check the thickness of the paint first

It can vary enormously on all areas of the car

If you don't have one, (a Paint Gauge) a local detailer, enthusiast or paintshop will be able to help

A DA with a medium pad and Scholl S17+ will see off most swirls

Have you read this guide:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/314504-styling-car-care-guides-links/#entry3763897

EDIT:

Didn't mention the Paint Gauge...

Edited by ChrisRs

Menzerna polishes and chemical guys hex logic pads work well for me or another combo is the auto finesse polish range which you can buy as a kit complete with pads

• Like 2

Great advice above. I've used Scholl Concepts S17+ on a green Chemical Guys Hexlogic pad. Can get away with a one step polish process on that. But for that wet look it does benefit from refining with a finishing polish. There are loads around. Best to look at the reviews and decide which polish you fancy a go with. Menzerna, meguiars, scholl concepts, Koch Chemie, there are no wrong products, but they all use slightly different with slightly different results, but all will improve.

Let us know how you get on.

Sorry about your car, hope you get the new one up to your standard with ease mate!

• Like 2