washers not working!

I'm annoyed! My 5 month and 3.5k mile monte window washers have packed up! A few days of freezing temps and it's stopped working. No pump noise and no water from either front or rear.

Topped it up, changed the fuse (number 46) but nothing..

Will phone the garage tomorrow.

Edited by noodles

fluid maybe frozen ? For my Golf. Rear washer didnt work for a while due to freezing temps here. Last time i used it in the summer and summer fluid which will freeze was inside of the washer nozle and pipes so it freeze over. Front washer and headlight washer was working fine. When took my golf to service it was long enough to melt up the rear washer and start working, now works well. I dont know if theres belove freezing washer fluid in the uk, but we have -21. -25 and -40 fluids here. -21 will freeze at -21 below zero.

Heated Nozzles make not a bit of difference if the Windscreen Wash is frozen in the Washer Bottle or pipes to the nozzles or to the rear of the car.

So you still need Wash that is correct for staying liquid, unless you have a Heated Washer Bottle.

Its just how things are.

If the pump has gone then thats what need checked.

& also not all Washer Fluids are compatible to mix, some make a messy jelly type liquid and then block pipes / nozzles.

• Like 1

Really.

Not very good Customer Services there, keeping owners off the road.

So unless you already have a Courtesy car for 2 weeks, call Skoda UK Customer Services and see when they are arranging 

to get one delivered to you and collect your car, 

or when they are getting the Dealership to.

That is what the Warranty is for,  Skoda 'Simply Clever',  Skoda Dealerships, up their own backside.

Was a fuse! Not sure why my fuse I changed wasn't it. But oh well.

but why did the fuse go to start with? 

did the dealer tell you that? Maybe it wasn't a fuse.. maybe they're just telling you that as a cover up? 

worth keeping an eye on. 

In future, if it goes and they give you a stupid fortnight wait. Maybe call Skoda assist and get them to help. The vehicle isnt really road worthy on these dirty gritty roads without windscreen washers. On a car so young, get them to sort it, its what they get paid for :D:) 

• Like 1

Was a fuse! Not sure why my fuse I changed wasn't it. But oh well.

If the fuse goes again better get the garage to check it out. If you have space in the wash bottle top it up with a strong winter solution so it mixes with what is already in but you may have done that already. For years I have had a small electric multimeter the most useful thing

is the ohmes setting which you could have checked your fuse after you pulled it out. On mine it gives a reading and a weedy buzz if its OK no buzz its knackered Joe

If the fuse goes again better get the garage to check it out. If you have space in the wash bottle top it up with a strong winter solution so it mixes with what is already in but you may have done that already. For years I have had a small electric multimeter the most useful thing

is the ohmes setting which you could have checked your fuse after you pulled it out. On mine it gives a reading and a weedy buzz if its OK no buzz its knackered Joe

A continuity test with a multimeter should be just fine. As long as it makes a circuit through the fuse (which is will if its good, and wont if its blown) itll beep. Simple and effective. :) 

Thinking about this. If the washer pumps are trying to pump ice, could it cause them to overheat and blow the fuse? 

Was on the original spec Skoda washer fluid. Temp was minus 8 when I got in the car at 7am and yeah I suspect it was frozen. But don't think I over used it particularly to blow the fuse.

I replaced fuse 46 with a new one. And made no difference. So not sure really

• Like 1

Was on the original spec Skoda washer fluid. Temp was minus 8 when I got in the car at 7am and yeah I suspect it was frozen. But don't think I over used it particularly to blow the fuse.

r

If you don't have a test meter you could pull out another fuse of the same rating and plug your replacement fuse in and see if that part of the car works if it does it could be a faulty screen wash pump Joe ps it's a while since I blew a fuse but if it's the flat blade type you can usually see the fine bit of metal that melts when the fuse goes phut.

If the washer fluid is frozen in the pump it will blow the new fuse too every time you try to use it, until it melts.

Old story/fact, can't remember which, but I seem to remember reading on this forum, about 10 years ago, that Skoda sent these cars out with one fuse value for the windscreen washer circuit, and when Polo came along, VW sent them out with a higher fuse rating - same as Ibiza when it appeared. Now after that, when Fabia drivers complained about blown fuses, normally in winter and probably due to pump trying to move sludge, Skoda advised replacing the original rating fuse with the higher value being used by VW and SEAT.

I would not believe that 10 years on Skoda would have reverted to the lower fuse rating in that circuit.

HAd the same happen here with the window wash motor - changed fuse 46 (as per manual) and diddly squat happened.  Took my partners car back to Allams and they said it was a blown fuse on position 22 (7.5A).  All working fine now... 

Ever since I have had the car (April) the windscreen spray patern has been a very fine mist yesterday something changed and I got what I would call a full shot of water similar to previous cars I have owned. I can only assume there has been a partial blockage or the pump has got a new lease of life. Will make a note of the fuse at 22 and a 7.5a replacement at the back of the hand book. Joe

• 11 months later...

I am haveing the same issue, neither front or rear jet is working but the light jet is fine. So assuming the pump is fine. Guessing it could be a blockage but how can I clear the pipes? Iam away so no chance of taking to the dealer

1 hour ago, rum4mo said:

Wait a minute, the headlight washer uses a different high pressure pump, so it sounds like your window washer pump fuse has blown.

Thanks! I checked the Fuse that was most likely the problem in the maneul and it was fine I will try 22 tomorrow and report back. 

I've just had all of the relevant fuse's out and the are all intact. Along with most of the rest of the fuse's. The most relevant fuse number 42 covers a multiple of things including both the headlight wash and the window washing systems. Would this suggest one pump? 

I don't think so, the headlight washers need a serious bit of pressure and a lot of volume, whereas the window washers need very little pressure and not much liquid. Certainly that was the way things were on my last two cars - they even used the same pumps for the headlight washers, quite expensive when they fail due to corrosion from the outside in (water blown in from the front on my Passat!).

Edit:- remember that the headlight washers are proper power washers whereas the windows just get some fluid dumped on the window and the wipers do the rest of the hard work.

Edited by rum4mo

• 11 months later...