EPC light on with fault code registered...any ideas?

Tristy

Wife was driving our newly acquired 2013 VRS down the M4 today when the EPC light came on. Told her to check brakes after a quick forum search but were fine. On starting again EPC light gone and car out of limp mode.

I scanned it with VAG COM tonight and got the following code. Cant find any reference to it on forum or Google so any ideas. Will be phoning main dealer tomorrow as well. Cheers

1 Fault Found:
16426 - Glow Ignition
          P306D 00 [096] - Cylinder Shut-Off
          Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Mileage: 36720 km
                    Date: 2028.14.22
                    Time: 12:06:22

How many miles has the car done,

are you running it on Super Unleaded 97 or 99, not just 95 ron Unleaded?

What sort of services has it had, Main Dealers where it might of had a Software Update, it might need one?

Maybe spark plugs needing changed if not done already, 1 might be failing, 

but you best check what the issue is.

EDIT, 

DOH, i see over 23,000 miles.

Maybe new Spark Plugs needed, do not leave them to 40,000 miles.

Not connected, but

Check with the Dealer as well if the car needs the DSG Service Campaign Field Action.

Synthetic Oil changed to Mineral & a Software Update for the DSG.

(maybe already done though.)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

Cheers for replies..... fuel I'm not sure on today. I put super unleaded in, not sure about wife. Is standard unleaded a big No No with these engines?

Service history is main dealer and stamped up in book but no mention of DSG service. Will ask that question as no real history of whats been done apart from the book being stamped couple of times.

Quick update....Into main dealer who initially said they couldn't find a fault relating to EPC. I said what about the code relating to cylinder shut down? After a minute on hold they said they would investigate further.......they kept the car to carry out the oil consumption test, 2 days later just had call to say a new engine on order, will be fitted Wednesday!

• Like 3

Nice one.

So now you do not have to accept Skoda UK Customer Services telling you the Replacement Engine is only covered by Warranty until the Original Manufacturers Warranty Expires.

Ask for an extended warranty on the Engine if you want, 2 years as the engine would be covered if bought as a 'New part', 

is fair, to you and them.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot

It went in due to the EPC light coming on during a trip then didn't come on again. I scanned it myself and then got the main dealer to check it out what they thought. They haven't really told me what the fault code or issue was, just said they were going to do an oil consumption test. Presuming the cylinder shut off message may be oil related but  don't know.From what I have read I assumed I would get the car back to run it for another 600 miles then take back to have oil weighed/measured. This wasn't the case, they said they would carry out the test over 2 days....unsure how? Got a call saying a new engine was required after presuming it failed the test. Thought was a bit quick to test but I'm not too bothered if the final result is a new engine.

Will mention the extended warranty as only got 7 months left on original one and we don't cover that many miles a month/year

Your Dealer has been good so far in recommending the Replacement Engine and getting the go ahead from Skoda UK.

As to an Extended Warranty, that is probably going to have to be you discussing this with Skoda UK Customer Services,

but who knows, Skoda UK has new people heading it, and New Brand Director, Sales Director etc,

Maybe since they know the Business and come from a Parts Background and Experience with VW there will be more honesty,

openness about the failures with the Twincharger Engines and fair treatment for owners.

Fingers Crossed anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Mined doing this too

fault codec 16526  00 (096) cylinder shut off

its had uprated plugs 7 months ago so going for Bosch coil packs as recommended by midland VW.

will post if it cures it 

it's only doing it under high speed acceleration i.e. Driving it hard ...normal driving is fine and It resets the EPC light by turning the engine on and off. 

What uprated plugs, and how many miles ago.

Best get them out and checked.

Did someone recommend replacing coils without first checking the spark plugs?

Best find the fault before boosting again on Super Charger and Turbo charger.

What plugs are they, and what have you checked the gaps as measuring. 

Maybe an Ignition Coil is on the way out, but not worth just doing trial and error.

What miles has the car done, and do you run it on Super Unleaded, is everything standard on it?

• 3 weeks later...

Its done 52000 miles always serviced....tried the new bosch coil packs today felt better but then the EPC light again at high speed / revs.... damn car is a blooming menace time to get rid i think...plugs are denso a8   put in 7 months ago ......gapped with my feeler gauge at 0.7 i think as recommended

Plugs should have been fine then 7 months ago, but how many miles ago was that.

You are going to have to remove all 4 and inspect them, and measure the gap.

They should have been good for 25,000 - 30,000, but that is not to be taken as a given.

Is it a CAVE or a CTHE?

if a CTHE you might want to get the Timing Chain measured.

• 2 months later...