The Croctavia, Outofthi5world's Octy track car

Outofthi5world

Red or black?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should I paint the car rattle can red or chalk-board black?

• Rattle can red
    • Chalk Board black
    • I don't care, it's your car do what you want
    • Leave it, I was not blessed with the gift of sight, I'm reading this by braille and I like it the way it is.
  2. 2. Scrap or fix?

• Scrap it, buy a VRS or something and get rid of the Croc
    • Keep the Croc, fix the caliper and wishbone bush, lower it and carry on, it was fun
    • I'll buy it off you!

I've never used BP tyre and exhaust, always nipped mine through to kwick fit In Northallerton. As you say least it's only an hour and you know then and there what the crack is. Should hopefully pass for you tomorrow.

Why are you taking it to him so he can take it to another garage for testing? Just take it to the test centre yourself and be done with his ****ty attitude.

I don't like the other garage more than I don't like Nige. We used to be good friends with Nige when my dad had older cars we went there for everything. Then my dad got a younger car (Jetta) and he didn't have the tech for diagnostics ect and we went to VASStech for servicing ect and used Nige for tyres. I think he's got annoyed by that as well as being too busy for his own good (having that "well you're just one of many and there's plenty without you" sort of attitude) and now when I've brought the Octy to him he doesn't want to know. If it wasn't for the fact that you get free/cheap partial re-tests I'd have the car at VASStech now and it'd be fixed.

pm sent

PM replied to.

do you still have the doorcards etc - put them back on until after the mot!

I don't have any of the door-cards any more, they are at the tip other than a bit that I kept to hold the lock rod up. The wiring they are talking about is the big loom that goes from front to back at the left hand side under the doors, I split that up to take out as much of the CD changer loom as I could and that was a bit of a mess TBH, then the tail-gate looms which I couldn't thread through the tail-gate because they got caught on something so I hung it on the in-side. Apparently that isn't allowed so I've bought some trunking, I'll glue that to the in-side of the car and put the wiring through that and cable tie it shut then they shouldn't be able to complain. If the car had carpets they wouldn't be able to see 80% of that.

On a different note, I've sent money to Richard so that should be the track-day booked. There's no way this car won't pass in 2 months now. there's just that wiring and the handbrake.

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 2

Just got back in from putting the back bumper back on the car. Yes, I know it's 5 in the morning, maybe I have "problems" :D
Bu anyway, last night I brought the bumper into the kitchen to clean it up a bit, as you do:

IMG_0257_zps4xbnde7n.jpg

Then took it to the bed-room/spray shop and heated up the dent,mostly removed the dent, then masked up the area I was interested in:

IMG_0258_zpstvqiywqu.jpg

Got a wheel weight to measure the distances and got a pen out to start writing, once it was drawn up I gut out the letters with a craft knife and sprayed on some of the red that I have left over.

This morning I took the masking tape off and put the bumper back on the car with the 4 main bolts:

IMG_0262_zpsxrdypuac.jpg

• Like 1

Did a bit today, removed rear calipers to give them a clean up and found the inside pads like this:

IMG_0269_zpskohaex6a.jpg

So got a cheap set of pads and re-wind tool, replaced pads and found the left hand caliper is seized off. Wound it all the way out and sprayed with WD-40 and wound back in again a couple of times but it hasn't done anything to help when the brakes are applied or the handbrake so I'll get it looked at as it's where my brakes knowledge comes to an end.
I'll have to look into disc sizes at some point though because that wear seams to look like the discs that are on the car are too small.

I got some ducting cut to size and tidied the wiring in the car up a bit:

IMG_0266_zps44swmdht.jpg

IMG_0267_zpsiezsnnig.jpg

And got rid of an un-used loom from the tail-gate, wrapped some wires in some tape and fastened some more wires with tape to the tail-gate.

I thought I'd swap out the drivers mirror for one that came yesterday but there must be a problem with the door loom somewhere (maybe linked to the central locking problem?) and that mirror is doing the same as the old one and not moving, just making a faint buzz. I may see if the old one is still in the bin and rescue it as it doesn't look like it was at fault. The new problem with the brake lights was a blown fuse, so that's sorted now.

Tomorrow morning is a trip to the garage and a walk home by the look of it.

Edited by Outofthi5world

Popped to the scrappies this morning and got a rear caliper from a Golf, dropped the car off at the garage and he looked and complained about the "coloured wires showing" so I told him that any coloured wires were as they left the factory to which he replied "yeah but you've removed the covers and everything, we'll see what he says its up to him, he's the tester"

T*****

• Like 2

got an MOT has it? lol...

It has indeed! Comes at the cost of £130, so presumably £30 for the test, £40 for changing the caliper and buying some clips and clipping the rest of the wiring and the other £60 I presume was to bribe the tester?
  • Like 1

So I had a play in the car today, got rid of all the door card clips:

From this

IMG_0271_zpsr02b8vud.jpg

To this

IMG_0272_zpsq0tzirbg.jpg

20 odd clips in total, easy to get out, just wedge a pair of pliers between them and the door and pull them out. If anyone wants them then cover postage cost and they're yours. Not sure why you'd want them though but hey.

I un-taped the loom between the car and the tail-gate, undid the crimp connectors and soldered them properly, I got heat-shrink on all but one connection, I should have checked it was big enough to fit over before soldering but whatever, it's now re-taped and all connections are working well. then I tried to solder the front right indicator wires together because they were cut and crimped from when I was going to hard-wire the repeater but found out it was a dodgy connection, problem was the wind must have been cooling the soldering iron faster than it was heating up because I stood there for ages and it wouldn't melt the solder. Never mind, there'll be a warm day with no wind soon, maybe...
Next thing was rear speakers, stupid garage decided he'd disconnect the left speaker and tape up all the cable and connections up with the rest of the loom so I had to un-tape about 2 foot of loom to remove the speaker wire and then re-tape and cable tie back up, then I cable tied the speakers to the rear seat mounts so they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

While I was doing this it started to rain very heavily, outside the car and inside too! All coming in through the drivers door seal, dripping down onto the seat and running down the inside of the door onto all the electrics ect. Bingo! found the source of the central locking problem then! Just got to get it fixed at some point. But for now I've taped up the door as best as I could from the outside using electrical tape, in the rain. Don't know how well it'll seal it but it only needs to stop it for tonight and I'll be back to it in the morning hopefully.

Things left to do now:

Solder indicator joints.

Fix drivers door loom.

Fix drivers door leak.

New break disks on rear.

New disks on front and new pads to install.

Remove/re-attach front right arch liner so it doesn't scrape on the ground at speed.

Swap over to track tyres from MOT tyres.

Attach a Go-Pro mount somewhere.

Do something in the engine bay, including removing sound deadening material.

Glue floor mats down properly so they don't slide about.

And that's about it.

Thanks for reading people, have a nice Easter, thing.  :thumbup:

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 2

Had a look at the door loom today, there's a few dodgy wires that I've cut and twisted then re-taped but it's made no difference, also sprayed the big connector on the window regulator and the connector for the lock mech with WD-40 and that hasn't done anything either. Opened the lock mech case up a bit and sprayed in that which had no effect wither. I'll source a new loom off a scrapper at some point, it's not a major problem.

Thought I'd do something else on the outside while the sun was out. Got a Skoda logo printed out in bits and cut them out:

IMG_0273_zpslf8lcxox.jpg

Then got the laminater out which ended in disaster as it ate bits of the logo so it had to be disassembled and the motor removed so I could pull the twisted mess out of the hot rollers:

IMG_0274_zpsmwa3vmht.jpg

Then all re-assembled, printed out a new bit of logo, got that laminated and then it ate the big bit too!  :swear:

So I kept it in bits for the new big bits:

IMG_0275_zpssisootui.jpg

But once that was done I covered the laminated logo in masking tape, then cut out the black bits and took that tape away then transferred what was left onto the car as a stencil for the spray, in the end I had this:

IMG_0276_zpsjhieesof.jpg

I think I'll keep the stray paint on as I quite like the effect. problem is it started raining really heavily just after I removed the masking tape from the car so I don't know how well the paint has held up. I might go out and have a look now.

EDIT: It's fine.

Edited by Outofthi5world

Update for today:

Removed some more un-used interior clips, took them to the kitchen along with the door card clips and they weigh over 200 grams, took the sound deadening out from under the bonnet as well to save a bit of weight, because race car. :D

Then I got a mount for the Go-pro sorted out, just got to wait for the glue to dry. Then, hopefully tomorrow if I'm off work, I'll get the camera on it and cut the sun visor so it fits round it.
I've glued the mats to the floor so they don't move around now and then fixed the arch liner at the front.

IMG_0278_zpsrquojblg.jpg

There, that shouldn't flick back at 100 MPH

Fitted the new spoiler today, went well:

IMG_0277_zpsgcjrx5dn.jpg

Things left to do now:

Solder indicator joints.

Fix drivers door loom.

Fix drivers door leak.

New break disks on rear.

New disks on front and new pads to install.

Swap over to track tyres from MOT tyres.

Do something in the engine bay, including removing sound deadening material.

Full set of wheels and steel spare for sale now:
http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/394117-octavia-mk-1-elegance-alloys-and-steel-spare-wheel/

Edited by Outofthi5world
  • Like 4

the spoiler is awesome :)

Thanks, it's actually off a Mazda, got it this morning from a place called Extention just the other side of Livingroom.

The downforce is going to be mental, sure it's not too much?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Downforce is going to be brutal, but there's so much weight taken out of the back end I think it needs it to be honest.

• Like 3