"Daddy " Phantom....

sharkrider

Could have popped at the motor and be filling the bootlid (or spare wheel well) with water.

checked that , connected and dry.

OK, yep - seems to suggest it's filling up somewhere in the car then :)

cant seem to find where!

more woe today .... after all the hassle trying to get rid of the surge no power surge cycle when you put your foot down, with reasonable success, the surge has now completely dissapeared when you first put your foot down, and the power is linear all the way through the rev range.... only problem is there is little of it!!!!!

flat all the way through.... its not limp mode, and it must be boosting at least some, but it feels about 150 bhp at the moment :(

*sigh.

Maybe a long shot, but I had a leak in the boot of my Octy I couldn't find.. Used to build up in the wheel well, but the right hand side of the boot carpet was also getting wet. Turned out to be the seam sealer had cracked under the plastic roof trim (which houses the roof bar points) was running down the inside and dripping on to the net storage.

Had to lock a mate in the boot and get the hose out to find it! 

• Like 1

more woe today .... after all the hassle trying to get rid of the surge no power surge cycle when you put your foot down, with reasonable success, the surge has now completely dissapeared when you first put your foot down, and the power is linear all the way through the rev range.... only problem is there is little of it!!!!!

flat all the way through.... its not limp mode, and it must be boosting at least some, but it feels about 150 bhp at the moment :(

*sigh.

Sounds like a boost leak tbh or a fule issue, get it coad read again and take it from there, the std boost pipe from the pancake to the turbo housing uses the ****ty lug connectors that tend to wair out over time, I whould start there as they can be connected tight bust still leak boost as they are as stated **** lol

Hope you get it sorted mate, also get the boost gauge fitted so you can monitor boost, hope this helps ;)

Mark

• Like 1

Sounds like a boost leak tbh or a fule issue, get it coad read again and take it from there, the std boost pipe from the pancake to the turbo housing uses the ****ty lug connectors that tend to wair out over time, I whould start there as they can be connected tight bust still leak boost as they are as stated **** lol

Hope you get it sorted mate, also get the boost gauge fitted so you can monitor boost, hope this helps ;)

Mark

I know its not a fuel issue, thats all been checked out, my tame mech went there first when i first bought the car with the surge going on... I will need to get under the car and check the pipes you are talking about, checked from intercooler to throttle body (checked that too) .. will have to go over the other pipes...

As far as the washer is concerned, delete the rear wiper and re-route the watter fees to the intercooler ;)

lol.... good plan :)

edit: boost gauge is on the way! gonna get that fitted as soon as it arrives, to give me some idea whats going on! :o

do you (or anyone reading this!) know what it should be boosting at and settling at on a stage one tune? our abarth boosts to 1.4 bar, and settles between 1-1.2 bar ...... (stage 1)

tame mech confirmed the remap with the higher than standard boost requests, and the sai delete was confirmed by my phone app! lol..

Edited by sharkrider

My old vrs was running 20psi on a stage one but it really depends on the map itself, stage 1,2,3 etc is a common misconception they are all just maps full stop. It's all about the supporting mods for maps ;)

• Like 1

Are you sure it's not the map?

I'm sure that I've read that the standard 1.8t map has this surge issue, but is highlighted even more so when turned up.

maybe when it was running well recently with a little surge, now all the power has gone that can't be the map, because the software stays the same, something else has changed :(

Thanks for that Sam, i will give it a read..... I haven't got VCDS , but my tame mech has an £8,000 diagnostics computer!!!! it works really well, electronically checked out everythin, working of the throttle inlet, fuel pressure, working of the throttle itself, requested boost levels, etc etc etc , it checked everything...... all it found was loss of boost pressure between turbo and inlet....

this was all fine and cured by me replacing the N75 and servicing the 007p......... I only then had slight "surge" (which may have been the map , as you suggest )

the problem is completely different! just NO power (and no surge) when I say no power, its not dead, feels like about 150bhp.... felt like about 220 bhp before!

I'm going back to my tame mech today, and I'm going to book it in. I wont be happy until it runs right.

Did you manage to check the turbo to pancake pipe mate? I'm doing my egr delete and vrs pancake upgrade on my tdi this weekend so I can take some pics of it on and off with the lugs I'm on about?

Also if you want when I get my fmic piping on you can have my turbo to pancake pipe if it's in good condition as I won't be needing it, I no you are getting a fmic but it might solve your issue until then?

Just need to order my piping kit now lol

Did you manage to check the turbo to pancake pipe mate? I'm doing my egr delete and vrs pancake upgrade on my tdi this weekend so I can take some pics of it on and off with the lugs I'm on about?

Also if you want when I get my fmic piping on you can have my turbo to pancake pipe if it's in good condition as I won't be needing it, I no you are getting a fmic but it might solve your issue until then?

Just need to order my piping kit now lol

I would appreciate that ......

I haven't taken it to may tame mech today, as , lo and behold, the power is back...... all by its self...

maybe I have to surrender to the fact I now have a 15y/o car that gas done 155,000 miles as a daily driver..... maybe he just needed a rest ..... but its seriously FAST again today ... seems to have found 70 bhp overnight! :o

seriously though... makes me think it may not have been a leak, surely that wouldn't have cured itself right? (still want the hoses you don't need please marko polo !!)

maybe the actuator is sticking ?

hang on..... I BET its the forge 007p again........ bet it was playing up, and not sealing properly.....

here's the thing, when the surge problem was really bad when I bought the car, loads of power then NO power in waves, when I put the standard DV on, it made it much better, but when I serviced the 007p and put that back on it was even better than that!!! (which is why I stuck with the forge item, car is working well)

IF its going to cause me issues, maybe I should look at alternatives?

what alternatives are out there for the DV on the 1.8t ... dont really want a dump to air valve, chavyness is not my scene ;)

on another note, boost gauge came today, gonna try to fit it :)

shark.

• Like 2

well , I took everything apart , got the glove box off, couldn't for the life of me find a way to feed the pipe through....

IMG_1393.jpg

one of the cats tried to help, couldn't figure it out either.....

IMG_1399.jpg

other cat took a look for the leak to the back washer.....

IMG_1398.jpg

anyway, I decided the 1m length vacuum hose wasn't going to cut it anyway... ordered a longer piece, and i will try again!

I would appreciate that ......

I haven't taken it to may tame mech today, as , lo and behold, the power is back...... all by its self...

maybe I have to surrender to the fact I now have a 15y/o car that gas done 155,000 miles as a daily driver..... maybe he just needed a rest ..... but its seriously FAST again today ... seems to have found 70 bhp overnight! :o

seriously though... makes me think it may not have been a leak, surely that wouldn't have cured itself right? (still want the hoses you don't need please marko polo !!)

maybe the actuator is sticking ?

hang on..... I BET its the forge 007p again........ bet it was playing up, and not sealing properly.....

here's the thing, when the surge problem was really bad when I bought the car, loads of power then NO power in waves, when I put the standard DV on, it made it much better, but when I serviced the 007p and put that back on it was even better than that!!! (which is why I stuck with the forge item, car is working well)

IF its going to cause me issues, maybe I should look at alternatives?

what alternatives are out there for the DV on the 1.8t ... dont really want a dump to air valve, chavyness is not my scene ;)

on another note, boost gauge came today, gonna try to fit it :)

shark.

When you check your pipe get a pic of the lugs and put it on here and I will compare it to mine, that's fine mate I will poast it down to you, does sound like something is intermittently failing but God nos what, I had a splitter valve on my last one, it dumps half atomsfericly and re-circulates the other half, it was good for me but I no the auq and bam don't realy like a dump valve, check out my build thread for the boost gauge install, if you need help pm me ;)

well , I took everything apart , got the glove box off, couldn't for the life of me find a way to feed the pipe through....

IMG_1393.jpg

one of the cats tried to help, couldn't figure it out either.....

IMG_1399.jpg

other cat took a look for the leak to the back washer.....

IMG_1398.jpg

anyway, I decided the 1m length vacuum hose wasn't going to cut it anyway... ordered a longer piece, and i will try again!

Behind the scuttle panel mate, a big black grommet going threw the bulk to behind the black loom above the fan assembly, you realy want 3-4 meter depending on whair you take a feed and whair you pit the gauge, pm me if stuck Edited by marko pollo

Dave,

Put an OEM valve back on, nothing wrong with the standard one,

rear wash wipe, check the pipe near the CD changer in the boot usually pops off in that area.

• Like 1

Gave him a clean today, first time I have had a chance to inspect the bodywork since I bought it.... I was pleasantly surprised. A few scratches all around, a deep polish / mop may get rid of them.. NO dents... at all ! amazing for a 155,000 mile car. a few scuffs on the bumpers, these were mentioned in the for sale add.... and a couple of chips in the windscreen, may have to contact my insurers, see if i can get them done free.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

• Like 2

Gave him a clean today, first time I have had a chance to inspect the bodywork since I bought it.... I was pleasantly surprised. A few scratches all around, a deep polish / mop may get rid of them.. NO dents... at all ! amazing for a 155,000 mile car. a few scuffs on the bumpers, these were mentioned in the for sale add.... and a couple of chips in the windscreen, may have to contact my insurers, see if i can get them done free.

IMG_1406.jpg

IMG_1405.jpg

Looking good mate, have you considered wrapping the grill?

Looking good mate, have you considered wrapping the grill?

not really..... I may leave the exterior as standard as possible, "stealth mode" if you like ;) makes people look when you fly past them and the exhaust pops as you change gear! lol....

will be even more fun if I eventually get to 300 bhp! ;)

and a couple of chips in the windscreen, may have to contact my insurers, see if i can get them done free.

Just tell them they both happened to you yesterday when a wagon came the other way through a pot-hole and you should be fine.  :thumbup:

• Like 1