Coops S3 Combi - 150 DSG SE-L

£1600 initial repair bill for the damage!

Headlights are even more out of alignment now, which means at least it'll get corrected when the bumper is repaired.

20 hours ago, Coops said:

£1600 initial repair bill for the damage!

Headlights are even more out of alignment now, which means at least it'll get corrected when the bumper is repaired.

Thats one way of looking at it I guess Coops, I suppose the culprit just made off from the scene!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bit of an update:

44,000 miles done, another service due soon

Need yet another windscreen, that's 3 in all

Chrome door trim coming off again, campaign was done and claimed but trim is coming off intermittently so needs to go back again

Tow bar getting lots of use, great addition

Colleague borrowed it and scuffed an alloy!

Headlights seem better aligned since the accident repair but have only driven it once at night

• 3 weeks later...

Replacement windscreen fitted today - let's see how long this one lasts eh!

Manchester Airport for 2 weeks - crack in bumper. Boy does that p!ss me off!

Good grief Coops, 'lucky' really isn't your middle name is it.... I hope the damage to the bumper isn't too bad. is it something you can fettle or is it back to the repair shop?

On 31/07/2017 at 15:26, Whaty said:

Good grief Coops, 'lucky' really isn't your middle name is it.... I hope the damage to the bumper isn't too bad. is it something you can fettle or is it back to the repair shop?

Thanks. Getting really depressed about it now and think the car is jinx'd. Even been looking at what other company cars are available in the business for me to swap too. Got until 2020 with it!

It will have to go back to the repair shop.

• 1 month later...

Surely that's bad preparation? Is this a body shop of your choice or was you 'advised' to go there?

You really are having some bad luck pal, keep smiling, it's got to come good.!

• 5 weeks later...

Not been around much recently but the Superb could be going.

Getting fed up with the car - numerous issues, some documented on here, some not - including:

• chrome window trim - rubbish resolution, ongoing argument with dealer
  • drivers seat beginning to wear already
  • numerous pranks documented here!
  • numerous windscreens documented here!
  • sluggish and clunky DSG
  • buffeting in rear at high speed

Currently running a 2015 BMW 5 Series Touring (F11) which I can keep for approx 12 months before the lease runs out and I can order a new car. Aside from the heated rear seats it has everything I already have so no loss of spec. IMO it's more comfortable, built better, quieter, sat nav is better and the gearbox is much much better (8 speed auto). The only thing I will miss is the ACC but it's not the end of the world - it's strange but just recently I've not been using the ACC at all.

So let's see how I get on with it, only had it a few days, but so far so good. Need to run it over a weekend to see how the family fair in it. Kids want to keep it because it has a reversing camera!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coops said:

Not been around much recently but the Superb could be going.

Getting fed up with the car - numerous issues, some documented on here, some not - including:

• chrome window trim - rubbish resolution, ongoing argument with dealer
  • drivers seat beginning to wear already
  • numerous pranks documented here!
  • numerous windscreens documented here!
  • sluggish and clunky DSG
  • buffeting in rear at high speed

Currently running a 2015 BMW 5 Series Touring (F11) which I can keep for approx 12 months before the lease runs out and I can order a new car. Aside from the heated rear seats it has everything I already have so no loss of spec. IMO it's more comfortable, built better, quieter, sat nav is better and the gearbox is much much better (8 speed auto). The only thing I will miss is the ACC but it's not the end of the world - it's strange but just recently I've not been using the ACC at all.

So let's see how I get on with it, only had it a few days, but so far so good. Need to run it over a weekend to see how the family fair in it. Kids want to keep it because it has a reversing camera!!

Sounds damned frustrating. Can I ask where your front seat is wearing? I've only done 5k miles and it looks like the stitching on the right-hand side seat bolster is beginning to wear. It's nothing serious as yet, but I am eyeing it suspiciously at the moment....

7 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Sounds damned frustrating. Can I ask where your front seat is wearing? I've only done 5k miles and it looks like the stitching on the right-hand side seat bolster is beginning to wear. It's nothing serious as yet, but I am eyeing it suspiciously at the moment....

Exactly same place - both on bottom bolster and side bolster.

My Superb 2 did 124k miles and the seats looked hardly worn. Seats in the S3 aren't of the same quality.

2 hours ago, Coops said:

Exactly same place - both on bottom bolster and side bolster.

My Superb 2 did 124k miles and the seats looked hardly worn. Seats in the S3 aren't of the same quality.

Bl**dy hell. On mine the stitching between the two 'sections' is beginning to stretch - if it actually comes apart over the next year I can see a full-on warranty row with Skoda, who will certainly try and wriggle out of it. 

Given all the problems you've had I can understand why you're feeling disillusioned at the moment. The potential seat problem is the only thing I've encountered so far, so I seem to have been lucky.

• 4 weeks later...

This sums it up when even a company car owner gets rid of a lease vehicle due to a run of bad luck and problems/issues. 

I gather it was a pool car? Hence the ease of getting shot of it.

I was once offered a job with a company skoda included in as some kind of incentive. Thanks but no thanks. So i bought a skoda instead thankfully a sportline so at least it looks the part. Doh! This will be my last. Looks great but the quality is diabolical. 

Its not a premium vehicle, its not executive, its a badly made over priced car to attempt to capture higher revenue sales for a brand that is trying to compete in a more luxurious sector. Fail.

13 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

This sums it up when even a company car owner gets rid of a lease vehicle due to a run of bad luck and problems/issues. 

I gather it was a pool car? Hence the ease of getting shot of it.

I was once offered a job with a company skoda included in as some kind of incentive. Thanks but no thanks. So i bought a skoda instead thankfully a sportline so at least it looks the part. Doh! This will be my last. Looks great but the quality is diabolical. 

Its not a premium vehicle, its not executive, its a badly made over priced car to attempt to capture higher revenue sales for a brand that is trying to compete in a more luxurious sector. Fail.

No it was my company car but things happened at the right time - issues with it plus another manager leaving thereby meaning his car became available.

It was my 4th Skoda and each time the quality had risen and although I was initially impressed with the S3 the novelty soon wore off when I started having problems.

Onwards and upwards. I won't be returning to the brand.

even my previous Hyundai Sonata 2009 had less problems during 7 years in my hands than Superb in it's first half year,
more over dealer rejected most of issues
and yes, Sonata cost 1/2

Interesting then that JD Power 2017 identified BMW as the least dependable marque (198 faults per 100 cars) with Audi a close second worst (187/100). Skoda was 3rd most dependable marque (89/100) That is half the number of owner issues than either BMW or Audi.

There are bound to be a few wobbles in any marque and understandably personal experience of a wobbler will temper your future choices.  For SWMBO that means never setting foot in an Audi dealer ever again and for me it was a poor experience with a Mercedes. Does that make Audi or BMW a rubbish marque? No, of course not. It just means we don't like them and wouldn't want to pay their prices for average vehicles and abysmal customer service.

Yer pays yer money and makes yer choices. Good luck with the new motor; you cant possibly have such bad luck with this one as you did with your S3.

• Like 2

Reviews can be helpful but at the end of the day it is down to the individual experiences of owners and the customer service received, no matter which brand.

Problems can arise as some owners are less mechanically sympathetic than others.  I am sure we have all known people who can start to destroy a car the moment they sit in it.  There is a guy in my road who seems to think the car only has one gear, two if you include reverse.  Listening to it offends my sensibilities.

Good luck, Coops.  Lovely gearbox, shame about the run flats IMHO.