Fabia 1.2 TSI Red Oil Light

Fordyman

I’m sorry, I never meant to step on anyone’s toes.  Was just grateful for the information which helped fix my car as I really thought it was a goner! 

Absolutely no need to be sorry Mrsdingy - I should have looked at the date, and figured it out from there.

We are all very pleased that you got it fixed:biggrin:

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This just goes to show you can't trust some mechanics to even service your car properly. And even fewer to diagnose a simple low oil pressure problem. Surely changing the oil filter would be a first step ahead of changing oil pumps and chains???

And they changed all that without changing the filter when new oil must have been used?????

Gross Incompetence all round.

DIY!! The 1.2tsi is so so easy to do an oil change, just get a filter cup socket (£10) to help remove the easy access  filter that the monkeys have overtightened. It can be done in about 10 mins on your drive. Costs me less than £20 for oil / filter/ sump plug.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Got this problem with my Skoda fabia MK2 as well

Garage did an oil change this morning and the red oil light has been flashing every now and again. 

Will take it over to the garage tomorrow to see if he can find the old o-ring. Hopefully that's the issue and it's not anything serious 

16 minutes ago, yus786 said:

Got this problem with my Skoda fabia MK2 as well

Garage did an oil change this morning and the red oil light has been flashing every now and again. 

Will take it over to the garage tomorrow to see if he can find the old o-ring. Hopefully that's the issue and it's not anything serious 

I wouldn't run it then - danger of engine damage as the red oil light means no or very low oil pressure. As well as bearing damage you could lunch the timing chain as the tensioner uses oil pressure to maintain tension!

As Wino suggests they have probably left the old oil seal behind or damaged the oil release valve if overtightened(designed to drain oil back into the sump when oil filter removed). Make sure a NEW oil filter is used and make sure they check no old seals are left behind as mentioned further up the thread.  PS if this has been misfitted make sure they cover the alternator when removing the old filter as it MAY dump it's contents over the top of it.

This is a common potential issue with the EA111

Edited by bigjohn

11 hours ago, bigjohn said:

I wouldn't run it then - danger of engine damage as the red oil light means no or very low oil pressure. As well as bearing damage you could lunch the timing chain as the tensioner uses oil pressure to maintain tension!

As Wino suggests they have probably left the old oil seal behind or damaged the oil release valve if overtightened(designed to drain oil back into the sump when oil filter removed). Make sure a NEW oil filter is used and make sure they check no old seals are left behind as mentioned further up the thread.  PS if this has been misfitted make sure they cover the alternator when removing the old filter as it MAY dump it's contents over the top of it.

This is a common potential issue with the EA111

Thank you

when you say make sure a new filter is used do you mean replace the newly fitted filter with another New one?

as the one that was fitted yesterday was a brand new skoda one

cheers

For the small cost (to them at trade prices), I'd expect that they would willingly replace that filter after removing the previous new one and extracting the previous but one seal.  The risk from not replacing that new filter would come from any premature/excessive and/or uneven compression of the seal on the new filter - and why would they want you to need to return a second time.

Issue probably sorted. Looks like what has happened with mine is the skoda dealership I purchased the oil filter from accidentally gave me the wrong oil filter. The guy at the garage either didn't realise that the filter was different than the old one or thought it was a new design or something 

So I managed to get the skoda dealership to replace it with the correct one (I bought it 3 months ago so it was nice that they did) and have been driving the car for around half an hour and nothing has come up so far

I asked the guy at the garage to have a feel to see if he can find any old orings but there were none he could find under the oil filter

Hopefully that's that 

Thanks for all the replies 

• Like 1