Fuel Tank Size

Petrol was getting low but hadn't reached the red zone hence no reserve warning so I estimate at least 7 litres left.

Filled up at Sainsburys (nectar points) to the point where the pump switched off. Didn't squeeze any more in. The reading was 65.2 litres. Therefore total in the tank was over 72 litres. Quite pleasing as I think the bigger the better.

Handbook states about 66 litres including reserve.

Can anyone else comment ?

The following explanations exist:

1. The fuel level sensor in the car isn't working properly;

2. Sainsbury's pump isn't showing the correct amount of dispensed fuel;

3. The fuel tank is larger than stated in the manual;

4. Human error - not noticing the reserve fuel indicator;

5. Human error - misreading the bill or the pump meter.

6. Fuel leak.

Occam's razor anyone? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Edited by fj604

The following explanations exist:

1. The fuel level sensor in the car isn't working properly;

2. Sainsbury's pump isn't showing the correct amount of dispensed fuel;

3. The fuel tank is larger than stated in the manual;

4. Human error - not noticing the reserve fuel indicator;

5. Human error - misreading the bill or the pump meter.

6. Fuel leak.

Occam's razor anyone? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have used occam's razor and shaved things down to number 3.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

68 litres put inthis morning with 30 miles range left.  690miles to empty which will increase as not been on a motorway for last 100 miles or So.

Has anyone run their car past zero range to see how much further before it runs out? Then a fill up would answer the question on total capacity including the filler neck.

I wouldn't recommend running a diesel on fumes @Speedman. It causes all sorts of potential problems, the least of which is air in the fuel supply pipes. That would probably need a garage to sort out. The misfires that would occur would probably also damage parts of the exhaust system.

My father always said it was better to run off the top half of the tank, rather than the bottom half. I've followed that policy ever since. Having said that, I am curious about my ultimate range. I just did a Edinburgh to London run with minimal city driving, however four terrible tailbacks of two to six miles. Anyway, 547 miles on 61.13 litres. I assume I had roughly 40 miles left in the tank. Not too shabby for a petrol engine.

Side bar: I bought 61.13 litres in the Maidstone motorway services: £87.35.

I bought 63.97 litres in the Stirling motorway services:     £74.97.

Any other southerners here feeling ripped off?

4 hours ago, Caspian said:

I wouldn't recommend running a diesel on fumes @Speedman. It causes all sorts of potential problems, the least of which is air in the fuel supply pipes. That would probably need a garage to sort out. The misfires that would occur would probably also damage parts of the exhaust system.

Hi, I wasn't suggesting it, I just wondered if anyone had done it - my last car (Honda Civic) would go to -40 and still not run out - a friend with a company car tried it but bottled at -40 range, still hadn't run out. 

3 hours ago, freelunch said:

Side bar: I bought 61.13 litres in the Maidstone motorway services: £87.35.

Any other southerners here feeling ripped off?

Maidstone - The first/last motorway services before Folkestone Eurotunnel Shuttle terminal, so ideally located to rip off both UK and European motorists alike.

I use it often - to empty my bladder. I'd never buy fuel there.

10 hours ago, freelunch said:

My father always said it was better to run off the top half of the tank, rather than the bottom half.

Old wive's tale with no substance, idea was to avoid getting the crud which might gather at the bottom of a corroded tank into the engine.

The pick up tube is always in the same place regardless of how much fuel is in the tank and a lot of tanks these days are plastic.

Are you calling my dad an old wife? :o

He was more concerned about his skint son running out of petrol. He said if you can only afford half a tank, make it the top half.

• Like 1

few pictures about filled amount

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/431948-its-arrived/?do=findComment&comment=4864664

originally were posted there, but pics aren't correctly displayed after forum got new engine

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/408362-fuel-tank-capacity/?do=findComment&comment=4745642

20 hours ago, Speedman said:

Has anyone run their car past zero range to see how much further before it runs out? Then a fill up would answer the question on total capacity including the filler neck.

Playing petrol station roulette is a great game!

The most I've put in my S3 is 69.8 litres - i recall going about 20 miles further once it had got to zero.

• Like 1