First MOT..............

My 2013 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) Rapid hatchback is 3 years old in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd take the opportunity to take it for an (independent) MOT, prior to the expiry of the manufacturers 3 warranty.

I reasoned that any issues leading to a failure may well be covered by the soon to expire warranty. I've also known my local MOT centre for a number of years and valued their opinion on the condition of the car, and likelihood of any future problems developing. I also got to have a good look around underneath whilst it was up on the ramps.

It's a few years since I last MOT'd my own car, but given the number of "old bangers" I've previously owned I took a "spirited" pre-test drive of several miles, thereby ensuring the brakes were hot and the engine fully warm. The car stops in a straight line during heavy braking (unlike countless other cars I'd owned!!) and I went in fairly confident of a positive outcome :peek:

The car duly passed with no advisories :clap:  No issues were apparent and given a clean bill of health, my thoughts now turn to whether I should extend the manufacturers warranty (quoted £219 for extra 1 year from Skoda - highest level of cover with £0 excess @ 15K miles / year), try another provider (CSMA, Warranty Direct etc), or possibly not bother with a warranty at all.

The car has covered 30,000 miles and the only issues during my ownership relate to minor trim rattles (not covered under any warranty), an annoying creak / rattle from the front passenger side suspension (no issues picked up during service / inspection by local main dealer, or during recent MOT) and very poor headlamp's (light output improved immensely by fitting admittedly short lived Osram Nightbreaks).

I've had none of the issues with the car most commonly documented on here (electrical / instrument failures / leaking seals etc) and wonder if mine is a "good un", or is simply yet to experience these issues??

Decisions, decisions ...........................

• Like 1

Glad it passed... and so it should :-)

For £219 (which is cheap coming from a BMW background)  i would be getting it on extended SKODA warranty for piece of mind.  £219 does not pay for much labour these days... and that's before buying any parts.

I look at it from this point of view.... if the turbo failed... how much ? if the wiper arm motor failed... how much.... if a window switch failed... how much.... If you get an electric fault.... how much.....

£219, £18 a month... worth piece of mind.... more so that you can then extend into year 5 where the risk of issues will increase with time.

How much does the premium reduce if you offer a £50 excess ?

Edited by RickTT

For £219 (which is cheap coming from a BMW background)  i would be getting it on extended SKODA warranty for piece of mind.  £219 does not pay for much labour these days... and that's before buying any parts.

I look at it from this point of view.... if the turbo failed... how much ? if the wiper arm motor failed... how much.... if a window switch failed... how much.... If you get an electric fault.... how much.....

£219, £18 a month... worth piece of mind.... more so that you can then extend into year 5 where the risk of issues will increase with time.

How much does the premium reduce if you offer a £50 excess ?

Reading through the Skoda warranty booklet I see there are numerous exclusions, although all the usual suspects - engine / gearbox / drive train etc seem to be fairly comprehensively covered.

The cover breaks down as follows for "all component" cover, based on a 3 year old car which has covered 30K miles:

Mileage / year     Excess / £            Premium / £

15K                      0                           219.88

15K                      100                       196.75

15K                      250                       168.32

• Like 1

I asked the MOT tester if many cars failed the first MOT and he said he couldn't recall the last VAG car which had, but that it was a fairly common occurrence with Renault's.

This anecdotal information would appear to be backed up by this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/picturegalleries/10338932/Top-10-cars-that-fail-their-first-MoT.html?frame=2684970

63.5% pass rate in 2013 (2010 registered cars - first MOT)

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 1

I asked the MOT tester if many cars failed the first MOT and he said he couldn't recall the last VAG car which had, but that it was a fairly common occurrence with Renault's.

Remember talking to a mechanic once who said that more than half of the original ford kas failed MOTs, mostly due to rust. Oops.

Obviously well cared for this rapid. :-)

15K                      0                          £ 219.88

^^ seems like the best option, based on each claim will carry the excess,  If you claimed you would of paid more than the zero excess premium in the event of 1 claim.

Edited by RickTT

"an annoying creak / rattle from the front passenger side suspension (no issues picked up during service / inspection by local main dealer,"

Could you expand on this as my Toledo (Sister car to Rapid) does this also and garage have had 3 attempts to fix it?

"an annoying creak / rattle from the front passenger side suspension (no issues picked up during service / inspection by local main dealer,"

Could you expand on this as my Toledo (Sister car to Rapid) does this also and garage have had 3 attempts to fix it?

My Spaceback does this as well, also no fault found by 2 different garages.

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

Interesting, does it happen when you go over a hollow in the road by any chance?

Usually noticeable when going over speed bumps, pot holes and generally bumpy road surfaces.

• Like 1

Usually noticeable when going over speed bumps, pot holes and generally bumpy road surfaces.

Ok same here, must be a character of the cars so as they all can't be faulty?

As previously mentioned (by both Chris & techie) I too have a rattle / noise emanating from the front passenger side of the car. It is most noticeable first thing in the morning and seems somewhat louder when it's cold and dry.I find the noise is most noticeable whilst braking (?? suspension unloaded).

My local main dealer have investigated twice, but found no fault in the front suspension. They said the noise was most likely related to trim / plastics rubbing together and did not represent a repairable fault.

I'd convinced myself the noise must relate to a fault in the front suspension (the noise sounds a little like worn drop links I'd had on several of my old Mk 1 Octavia's) and therefore took the car for an "early" MOT yesterday. Nothing untoward was found, despite thorough scrutiny, although the noise persists. On this basis I guess my local main dealer is / was correct and I'll just need to learn to live with it, as a "characteristic" of the car.

Edited by pinkpanther

There's a thread in the Yeti forum explaining a bit of a design fault with the ARB drop links which causes the thread to move about in the hole on the ARB. Worth a look as it sounds like it could affect our Rapids too.

My 2013 1.2 TSi (105 BHP) Rapid hatchback is 3 years old in a couple of weeks and I thought I'd take the opportunity to take it for an (independent) MOT, prior to the expiry of the manufacturers 3 warranty.

I reasoned that any issues leading to a failure may well be covered by the soon to expire warranty. I've also known my local MOT centre for a number of years and valued their opinion on the condition of the car, and likelihood of any future problems developing. I also got to have a good look around underneath whilst it was up on the ramps.

It's a few years since I last MOT'd my own car, but given the number of "old bangers" I've previously owned I took a "spirited" pre-test drive of several miles, thereby ensuring the brakes were hot and the engine fully warm. The car stops in a straight line during heavy braking (unlike countless other cars I'd owned!!) and I went in fairly confident of a positive outcome :peek:

The car duly passed with no advisories :clap:  No issues were apparent and given a clean bill of health, my thoughts now turn to whether I should extend the manufacturers warranty (quoted £219 for extra 1 year from Skoda - highest level of cover with £0 excess @ 15K miles / year), try another provider (CSMA, Warranty Direct etc), or possibly not bother with a warranty at all.

The car has covered 30,000 miles and the only issues during my ownership relate to minor trim rattles (not covered under any warranty), an annoying creak / rattle from the front passenger side suspension (no issues picked up during service / inspection by local main dealer, or during recent MOT) and very poor headlamp's (light output improved immensely by fitting admittedly short lived Osram Nightbreaks).

I've had none of the issues with the car most commonly documented on here (electrical / instrument failures / leaking seals etc) and wonder if mine is a "good un", or is simply yet to experience these issues??

Decisions, decisions ...........................

I am also there with this decision in the next week or so! ???

There's a thread in the Yeti forum explaining a bit of a design fault with the ARB drop links which causes the thread to move about in the hole on the ARB. Worth a look as it sounds like it could affect our Rapids too.

I doubt it. Not a single part of the front suspension is common between the Rapid and the Yeti, including the drop link. It must be something else.

Well I can update you all on what it's not thanks to my local dealer:

Replaced Steering rack under warranty

Replaced gearbox mount under warranty

Replaced passenger side shock under warranty

Noise still there but not as often :(

Yep - I have this creaking noise from the front passenger side too! 14 plate with 10K miles

Weird!

Whoopee Doo!!!! passed first MOT (not that i expected anything else)

How ever got advisory that at 38,000 the discs are wearing/scored Ok just now but will need replaced in the foreseeable future???

Result.

38K for an advisory on discs is not too bad. I would normally replace discs about every 40-50K anyway (aside from the fun and games many of us have had with factory pad and disc wear on the Rapid).

• 1 year later...

Passed 1st MoT today, no advisories. Not even the 28000 mile OEM Conti's, which to be honest have had to be rescued by the ESP several times this winter, but it looks like I'll be able to run them through another spring and summer now.

• Like 1

Great result there (and yet more evidence that the factory Dunlops that Skoda was fitting are not all that, as the fronts would be shot by now)

To be honest I did swap them front to back at about 16000, but I'm really impressed with the life of the set.  Considering Premium Contact 2 are such an old design, I'm well pleased, but I won't be putting the same on again at near enough £500 for a set. Looking to spend a lot less.

Well I can highly highly recommend my all-season Michelin CrossClimate wheels.

£280 for a set of 4 fitted and performing extremely well.